Jake (others feel free): | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Jake (others feel free):

These things are true: 1) Jesse is our best in-game center since Etan; 3) Jesse has graduated college; 4) Jesse will possibly finish the season with the best PER in the ACC, most blocks, best block %, and 2nd most rebounds by a hair; 5) Jesse will get some NBA interest, probably as a undrafted free agent; 6) Jesse is not coming back to college basketball.
There is a reason that Jesse might be coming back. I will not share it. But if I had to guess right now, I would lean more to Jesse coming back than leaving. By the way, your analysis would in most cases be spot on.

I get that. as part of the eye test, but his numbers (total, advanced, per game, per possession, etc), are as good or better than the competition. If he did better, he'd be an all-time great. .

I can't rate him against people and the competition he didn't play against and I can't rate him based on the teams he wasn't on. You're right the competition is different, but it's still very good, due to the huge increase in veterans through the portal.

Relative to the league, Jesse is the best center at SU since Etan. I'm sticking with it.

Rak is the only one that is close in IMO. Rak's senior season was limited after losing McCullough, but that team still had decent players. And they played differently. AO didn't block shots well, couldn't shoot a free throw, and didn't rebound well relative to the team and the league, but he had a lot of help on those teams - moreso than Edwards. Fab was limited offensively and didn't come close to the rebounds because he couldn't stay on the court due to fouls and fitness.

Problem with this year's use of Jesse (and I love him - he's wildly efficient), is that he was on the block way too much. Way too much. He doesn't have the strength, passing ability or swiss army knife of offensive moves to go to him ALL THE TIME down there.

In a perfect world we're running spread pick and roll with Judah, Joe and TBD shooter and then Maliq in the dunker spot.

Re comparing him to AO, Fab and Rak, let me just use AO. I love AO. LOVE HIM. Would kill to have him now. But he was playing next to a 1st Team AA and a Rick who would be DPOY and 1st Team All BE the next year.

Welp, time to start giving Red all the support and love we can muster. He's going to need it.

Gonna back him hard...

However, am worried this is gonna be a 2-year fall-on-your-sword temporary hire before the real replacement and that it will get darker before the dawn.

Hope I am 100% wrong about that, of course

There is a reason that Jesse might be coming back. I will not share it. But if I had to guess right now, I would lean more to Jesse coming back than leaving. By the way, your analysis would in most cases be spot on.
Could it have anything to do with Jesse's favorite field hockey star getting a job with the new coaching staff on the field hockey team?

Expecting child?! Please?

Surround Jesse with the 2010 or 2012 roster and his life on the court is way different. Way different.

You drop one of those other guys on this year's team (or last year or whatever), same deal.
If you surround Jessie with those teams, he gets about as many touches as Forth in 2003.

I just don’t see it. Nice player who had a great year on a terrible team.

Those other players were key cogs in some of the best teams we’ve ever had.

If they were force fed the ball as much as Jessie their stats would have been eye popping too. Their rebounding numbers would be better to because our forwards were terrible.

I will say that I think Jessie is an elite rebounder. But he’s not the physical presence necessary to be an elite center. And his offensive game is easily stopped when you force him to move 8 feet from the basket.

You couldn’t move Arinze or Fab.

Gonna back him hard...

However, am worried this is gonna be a 2-year fall-on-your-sword temporary hire before the real replacement and that it will get darker before the dawn.

Hope I am 100% wrong about that, of course
The say you never want to be the guy after the guy.

If that's true, and it is Red, and Red doesn't pan out... it's good for us to find out fast.

If you surround Jessie with those teams, he gets about as many touches as Forth in 2003.

I just don’t see it. Nice player who had a great year on a terrible team.

Those other players were key cogs in some of the best teams we’ve ever had.

If they were force fed the ball as much as Jessie their stats would have been eye popping too. Their rebounding numbers would be better to because our forwards were terrible.

I will say that I think Jessie is an elite rebounder. But he’s not the physical presence necessary to be an elite center. And his offensive game is easily stopped when you force him to move 8 feet from the basket.

You couldn’t move Arinze or Fab.

That's a fair argument. I'm also the guy that wants to pull Jesse from the block most times and run spread pick and roll, so I'm probably biasing in his favor with that.

Whether it's next year or the year after, when the day comes that someone other than JB is coaching SU basketball, it's going to be one of the most surreal/bizarre moments of my life at first.

Yep. Big time.

SU basketball was my first favorite sports team. JB has quite literally been a part of that my whole life. I have never had a day where my #1 favorite team didn't have JB at the helm.

The thing about the 2010 team is that the path after Butler was laid out perfectly.

KSU after a three OT game on a short turn.
MSU with a key injured player.
The worst of any Duke title team.

We would have smoked all those teams if we had AO.
and AO shouldn't have played in that game that was essentially meaningless, I know hindsight is 20/20.

The next coach has to be given a fair chance unless it is Stallings / G-Rob bad.
I have always supported keeping it in house. Its an easy choice and a safe choice. Unless JW has a home run hire he plays it smart gives Red a shot and if after a few years it doesnt work out than you go outside

I have always supported keeping it in house. Its an easy choice and a safe choice. Unless JW has a home run hire he plays it smart gives Red a shot and if after a few years it doesnt work out than you go outside
Weren't you advocating for Langel last week? Or was that in case it was a external hire?

Yep. Big time.

SU basketball was my first favorite sports team. JB has quite literally been a part of that my whole life. I have never had a day where my #1 favorite team didn't have JB at the helm.
My senior year was the JB suspension and Hop briefly at the helm. It was very eerie, especially the way they kept Jimmy’s seat “open”. I’m sure the first couple games will have that similar feeling, especially if it’s an in-house hire.

Hopefully this time around goes better as that stretch almost knocked us out of the tourney.

and AO shouldn't have played in that game that was essentially meaningless, I know hindsight is 20/20.

Brah, nah.

We won the BE regular season, and you don't sit guys for no reason in the BET, just because they might get a fluke injury?
We had beaten the Hoyas 2x already, and the goal would surely be to do so again, and try to win the BET.

What you are calling for (in hindsight) is something that has literally never happened.

I'd love a recruiter with Philly ties and a tactician type that can tighten up what we run on offense.
Especially if he can coach the bigs. Would be great if he has had extensive pro experience both oversees and NBA. If he understands G League as an option too. Including the Ignite program. Maybe a couple of years of coaching experience so he isn’t looking for the first promotion out of town but has some experience working with young players. And if his Jersey hangs in the Dome that would’ve a plus…..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom