Jake (others feel free): | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Jake (others feel free):

I think it'll be Red, Griff, and 2 new guys.

GMAC will benefit more from going out and testing himself with something new.

I agree I think we can only keep 1 of Red and GMac. If we are hiring 2 new guys I would love for them to be outside the family and bring some fresh ideas to the table and 1 if not both have a nice background in recruiting.

That would be a big issue for the new HC. If he wants to help with fund raising fine but hanging around the MBB program would not be good. Most legends purposely stay away even with an internal hire to give the new HC room to create their own identities. They gave Jim Calhoun an office after he left but he purposely stay away for this reason, Bobby Bowden did the same, when they come back to attend a home game as a spectator they give the new HC a heads up to make sure it's ok.
All good points. I don't think JB's going to try to micromanage the new coach or lurk around the program, but there's just no way he doesn't have a great deal of influence, and he can do with it as he pleases.

Ok ill retract Soph fab but then we must add Senior AO, dude was video game automatic in the paint.. We were winning it all that year until...

Best Syracuse TEAM, ever, including the championship team. Not debatable in my book

Yeah, agree about AO.

But I think the point is that Jesse has put himself in contention to be included in the top program centers of all time, with this quietly great season he's put together.
  • Seikaly
  • Smith
  • Bouie
  • Etan
  • Rak
  • AO
  • Jesse
Not listed in any particular order.

I agree I think we can only keep 1 of Red and GMac. If we are hiring 2 new guys I would love for them to be outside the family and bring some fresh ideas to the table and 1 if not both have a nice background in recruiting.
I'd love a recruiter with Philly ties and a tactician type that can tighten up what we run on offense.

Yeah, agree about AO.

But I think the point is that Jesse has put himself in contention to be included in the top program centers of all time.
  • Seikaly
  • Smith
  • Bouie
  • Etan
  • Rak
  • AO
  • Jesse
It's still bananas to me that when Sidibe went down we didn't immediately plug Jesse into regular center minutes.

Yeah, agree about AO.

But I think the point is that Jesse has put himself in contention to be included in the top program centers of all time.
  • Seikaly
  • Smith
  • Bouie
  • Etan
  • Rak
  • AO
  • Jesse
Agreed

was the JB extension for a year after next season or is he contract done at the end of this year ( I assume end of May or June).
That would make a big difference or only for the next coach, but also recruiting.
Also, if his contract is up now, and assuming to be true rumors that JB prefers GMac, what are chances JB helps AA get an offer elsewhere, freeing up GMac for the spot?
Autry wants to coach Cuse. He’s bided his time. He’s not going to give up the chance to coach a p5 team. It doesn’t matter if JB prefers GMac. This is Wildhack’s decision.

I'd love a recruiter with Philly ties and a tactician type that can tighten up what we run on offense.

Yes an offensive coordinator type that can install a "modern" offense.

Also if it is Red don't waste everyone's time with a national search. Just announce it and let him get to work recruiting current players, portal players, and incoming freshman. He can't afford a punt year with tons of roster turnover. He needs to get to work right when our season ends.

If outside national hire then I feel we can have a punt year where the new coach brings in his players to fit what he does.

These things are true: 1) Jesse is our best in-game center since Etan; 3) Jesse has graduated college; 4) Jesse will possibly finish the season with the best PER in the ACC, most blocks, best block %, and 2nd most rebounds by a hair; 5) Jesse will get some NBA interest, probably as a undrafted free agent; 6) Jesse is not coming back to college basketball.
Oof. Strong disagreement on item #1.

Hey, I love Jesse, but he’s playing against some of the softest opposing frontlines in a long time. He does not function well at all when bodied up in the least bit.

IMO- he’s a step below. AO, Rack, Fab.

The numbers AO would put up this year would be insane. Fab also had developed a nice 12-footer his sophomore year.

That would be a big issue for the new HC. If he wants to help with fund raising fine but hanging around the MBB program would not be good. Most legends purposely stay away even with an internal hire to give the new HC room to create their own identities. They gave Jim Calhoun an office after he left but he purposely stay away for this reason, Bobby Bowden did the same, when they come back to attend a home game as a spectator they give the new HC a heads up to make sure it's ok.

You kinda want him around IMO. it won't be lurking in a he quit too early fashion though.

He's gonna be 80 soon. I liken him to a Sir Alex Ferguson like presence. Having him nearby will be good for the next coach to realize the standards he set. That's a good thing. JAB is smart enough to not get in his way Xs and Os.

I hope JAB doesn't run from the program.

I don’t know why everyone keeps saying this like it’s a forgone conclusion. I think it’ll be all hands on deck, including GMac and Griff, to support Red. I think Red will hire an experienced former head coach or an up-and-coming superstar recruiter as the other assistant. Obviously if GMac can get a head coaching job at a mid-major, then he should absolutely take it and start building his head coaching career. But will he be able to? We’ll see.

Last edited:
I thought Jesse left a lot of meat on the bone this year. He's a nice center, but he's missed quite a few layups and cost Girard/Mintz each probably an assist per game.
He has but he also set a nearly impossible standard by making almost 70% from the floor the previous season.

Hey, I love Jesse, but he’s playing against some of the softest opposing frontlines in a long time. He does not function well at all when bodied up in the least bit.

The numbers AO would put up this year would be insane. Fab also had developed a nice 12-footer his sophomore year.
But could he guard the corner 3! 2010 is still my fav team uggghhh

But could he guard the corner 3! 2010 is still my fav team uggghhh
2010 and 2012 were both amazing, but I might give the edge to 2012. They seemed to be on another level of dominance. Losing Fab and AO cost us two natties IMO. We take out Kentucky with Fab; they may have had more talent that year, but I'll take 2012 JB over Cal's in-game coaching any day.

2010 and 2012 were both amazing, but I might give the edge to 2012. They seemed to be on another level of dominance. Losing Fab and AO cost us two natties IMO. We take out Kentucky with Fab; they may have had more talent that year, but I'll take 2012 JB over Cal's in-game coaching any day.
2012 was very good but they weren't beating Anthony Davis. 2010 was hands down, the best SU team period. They would have plowed to the title that year. IMO this was one of the only SU teams that I witnessed with the killer instinct. They throttled teams that year and were str8 assassins with no remorse. It KILLS me to this day to think about that team's end... It died twice, once with AO and another with the felony that occurred on the court against Butler. Matt Howard to this day can burn in hell along with the refs. This was 150% Syracuse's 2nd title.

Last edited:
I thought Jesse left a lot of meat on the bone this year. He's a nice center, but he's missed quite a few layups and cost Girard/Mintz each probably an assist per game.
I get that. as part of the eye test, but his numbers (total, advanced, per game, per possession, etc), are as good or better than the competition. If he did better, he'd be an all-time great. .

I can't rate him against people and the competition he didn't play against and I can't rate him based on the teams he wasn't on. You're right the competition is different, but it's still very good, due to the huge increase in veterans through the portal.

Relative to the league, Jesse is the best center at SU since Etan. I'm sticking with it.

Rak is the only one that is close in IMO. Rak's senior season was limited after losing McCullough, but that team still had decent players. And they played differently. AO didn't block shots well, couldn't shoot a free throw, and didn't rebound well relative to the team and the league, but he had a lot of help on those teams - moreso than Edwards. Fab was limited offensively and didn't come close to the rebounds because he couldn't stay on the court due to fouls and fitness.

2012 was very good but they weren't beating Anthony Davis. 2010 was hands down, the best SU team period. And they would have plowed the title that year. IMO this was one of the only SU teams that I saw had the killer instinct. they throttled teams that year and were str8 assassins with no remorse. It KILLS me to this day to think about that team's end... it was 150% Syracuse's 2nd title.

The thing about the 2010 team is that the path after Butler was laid out perfectly.

KSU after a three OT game on a short turn.
MSU with a key injured player.
The worst of any Duke title team.

We would have smoked all those teams if we had AO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom