Jalen Carey...what gives?! | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Jalen Carey...what gives?!

The kid just got a big leg tattoo as well. I wonder if that was poor judgement during the season

Let’s be serious for a second. Is that REALLY the reason he’s suddenly not playing??

Let’s be serious for a second. Is that REALLY the reason he’s suddenly not playing??
I am not positive, but he posted a huge leg tattoo on his thigh right before his recent benching. I am not an expert, but I do not see how anyone would be able to play basketball within a week of getting that tattoo

I am not positive, but he posted a huge leg tattoo on his thigh right before his recent benching. I am not an expert, but I do not see how anyone would be able to play basketball within a week of getting that tattoo

That actually makes sense. I figured that you were saying he would be benched for getting a tattoo. That to me sounded a bit far-fetched.

We're basically a poor shooting team, so Jackson Boeheim brings more of what this team sorely needs than Carey does. It's that simple. It's becoming more obvious that unless Battle develops a more consistent outside shot, his NBA career will be short lived or non-existent. He should stay yet another year at SU. Seriously!!

When you are a guard you've either got hit the J or put defenders in your rear view mirror. He's done neither. Maybe someday.

He did quite a bit of the latter in the UConn game.

But yeah - they're UConn, not an ACC-level opponent.

I would have bet - and LOST - a lot of $ if I had bet before the season started which of Jalen or Buddy would be getting minutes during the ACC part of the schedule.

Props to Buddy. He's become an effective piece for this team, and is also not a matador on D either.
Had 2 great steals in the last game. He does get burned now and again, but that's part of being a Frosh.

the tattoo has nothing to do with him being able to play. He could of played a game of basketball right after getting it. This is about rotations and buddy eating up minutes of JC. Simple as that!

Just a question of what JC could give against Pitt. Not as much as the lineups that were used.

Buddy had a couple shaky moments with the ball. Especially that one time he simply dribbled until he fell. Feels like that was a moment where we could have used another ball handler (and yes, I understand JC has had his terrible moments). Just think him being on the floor as another ball handler, not the primary one, might have some benefits.

You don't think...
Nahh, better not stir the pot.

carey turns the ball over too much to justify playing at PG. especially with how they're using ty at the point for extended periods.

the only reason buddy is getting more minutes than him is due to shooting. we need to have shooter to come in when teams are playing zone against us.

carey will be fine i think our fans are being too impatient with him. give him time.

You don't think...
Nahh, better not stir the pot.
This thread makes me uneasy, so I'll get in while I still can...

I saw enough of Carey early on to believe he will be a very good scorer, an elite defender at the top of the zone, and an excellent rebounder from his position, as well as a guard who will be able to push the tempo when asked to do so.

Is he capable of doing all that consistently right now? Probably not, but he really doesn't have to now that Howard has returned to form and Buddy is giving this team productive minutes. But I still contend we will see Carey make some critical contributions before this season is over.

Carey has never been a shooter. he was a slasher in HS.

Carey will be fine but I honestly believe Buddy starts at the 2 next year. Goodine and Carey will battle for the other spot and I give Carey edge because of the additional year; but I don’t think it’s a 100% sure thing Carey starts next year.

With that said if Girard comes in and is making shots and is good defensively, it’ll be really interesting what happens because I don’t think any of those 4 guys could play the. Bottom of the zone. So you have 4 guys for 2 spots

i'm a huge fan of jalen carey and i think he is very talented. but he has been terrible lately. i guess the argument is if he has been terrible because he hasn't played more, but i wouldn't want to be the one on that side.

Very few PG's are ready for primetime as freshmen.

Besides his ball handling issues, he has a tendency to be too static at the top of the zone and not probe the perimeter for open passing lanes like Frankie does well...

He'll get better with time most likely - his time will come.

Now that Frank's close to full strength, it's no surprise his minutes have waned.

He lost his time as Frank got healthy which was going to happen. I don't think anyone expected his game to be as raw as it has been. He can't advance the ball period if there's pressure on him. He's shown that he can play, but when he has been called on as of late, he looks like a deer in headlights. If he took more care of the ball, he would get his number called. This team doesn't have many people who are adept at ball handling.

He lost his time as Frank got healthy which was going to happen. I don't think anyone expected his game to be as raw as it has been. He can't advance the ball period if there's pressure on him. He's shown that he can play, but when he has been called on as of late, he looks like a deer in headlights. If he took more care of the ball, he would get his number called. This team doesn't have many people who are adept at ball handling.

He's having trouble with the speed of the game.

He clearly was used to blowing past defenders with little shielding in highschool and is not used to getting his pocket picked by D1 defenders that are also quick.

He needs to work on his shielding and back-to-basket protection of the rock and realize he doesn't have to bring the ball up the court at mach 20 on every possession.

Carey averages 8 turnovers per 40mpg in conference play. Frank averaged 4.5 per 40mpg his sophomore year. Turns it over 30% of the time he touches it.

Exactly. Carey’s minutes have been detrimental. Non productive minutes we can work through. But he has hurt us with the turnovers.

I will say the advanced analytics have him as our best defensive guard.. (Small sample size, etc. but good that he’s solid on D).

Last edited:
Don't get this. There's higher profile freshman at other schools playing less than him. Villanova for example.

Someone's going to transfer and not play another year? Kiss your NBA aspirations goodbye.
He got a leg tattoo mid season. Decision making might not be his forte.

Seems like it might be. I don't know. Not my jam

CB24260B-5528-4013-9FC2-40662034ACA7.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom