James Franklin to PSU | Syracusefan.com

James Franklin to PSU

raf4488

Starter
Bruce Feldman ‏@BFeldmanCBS13m
BREAKING #Vandy coach James Franklin is expected to be the next head coach at #PennState, per source

It looks like Franklin has accepted Penn State's offer.

If this happens, PSU made a great hire here; Franklin is an excellent recruiter and has ties to many of PSU's traditional recruiting areas. SU will have to work even harder to land top talent in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic.

Bruce Feldman ‏@BFeldmanCBS13m
BREAKING #Vandy coach James Franklin is expected to be the next head coach at #PennState, per source

If this happens, it looks like PSU made a great hire here; Franklin is an excellent recruiter and has ties to many of PSU's traditional recruiting areas. SU will have to work even harder to land top talent in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic.
Good thing is he'll likely leave after a few years there.

Good hire Penn State and this will effect Pittsburgh, Maryland more than Syracuse. Syracuse needs to out-recruit Rutgers, UConn, Pitt, Maryland more than Penn State. I am sure will lose a couple of battles with Franklin at Penn State. However, something tells me that the fact he was Maryland Head Coach-in Waiting and that didn't sit well with Maryland fans is a little something that Franklin won't forget. If Franklin has NFL dreams his buyout with Penn State will be steep.

Let's go after the Vandy guys we were recruiting-Brosnan and Wilbon would be great additions at positions of need.

F PSU

Let's see if a press conference happens today or tomorrow. Still a "per source" deal.

Our "sources" said Oklahoma to the BiG was imminent. So far...? ;)

I think its a bad hire for Penn st. Only because they are going to be put in the same situation as they were with BOB. NFL will continue to call Franklin. Penn St will never get a lifer like Paterno again.

Not a good hire for Syracuse... we will get dominated (recruiting) probably more than we have before with Franklin as HC

Good hire Penn State and this will effect Pittsburgh, Maryland more than Syracuse. Syracuse needs to out-recruit Rutgers, UConn, Pitt, Maryland more than Penn State. I am sure will lose a couple of battles with Franklin at Penn State. However, something tells me that the fact he was Maryland Head Coach-in Waiting and that didn't sit well with Maryland fans is a little something that Franklin won't forget. If Franklin has NFL dreams his buyout with Penn State will be steep.

Maryland fans must feel sick. Edsall was such an awful hire considering Fridge had just gone 9-3 with Franklin on staff as the OC. Now they can't even buy Edsall out because they're completely broke. Oops.

JF likes the college game and isn't too interested in the NFL. He'll do some damage for Penn State on the recruiting front.

Maryland fans must feel sick. Edsall was such an awful hire considering Fridge had just gone 9-3 with Franklin on staff as the OC. Now they can't even buy Edsall out because they're completely broke. Oops.
I believe Franklin was even their coach-in-waiting.

Yes, this will hurt Rutgers, Temple, UConn, UVa, VT, etc. but the biggest loser is Maryland, who will be reminded of their ghastly mistakes in head coach selection for years to come. As for us, we have been getting killed recruiting head to head with PSU for 20 years. Don't think this will help or hurt us much.

raf4488 said:

Franklin would have left Maryland for PSU too.

Yes, this will hurt Rutgers, Temple, UConn, UVa, VT, etc. but the biggest loser is Maryland, who will be reminded of their ghastly mistakes in head coach selection for years to come. As for us, we have been getting killed recruiting head to head with PSU for 20 years. Don't think this will help or hurt us much.

It might actually help. Franklin recruits 4 and 5 star kids at Vanderbilt; he'll still go after the elite talent in the south and leave the 3 star kids that Penn State's been ending up with for us.

He won't have to leave PA to recruit. He may draw some southern kids up, but he's gonna have a lock on PA, DC area and Tidewater recruits, which have all been fertile territory for PSU anyway. He'll put a bigger dent into MD and Rutgers in terms of stealing from them, as he'll own them on the field as well on a regular basis.

penn st will always win recruiting. This doesnt change anything

They don't always win: Nassib, Pugh, Hickey, West to name a few stolen from their backyard. I still remember former HCDM saying at an open practice in Manley a few years ago: "We want to get some of those Pennsylvania kids that have talent but were over-looked or passed on by PSU and bring them here and keep reminding them that PSU thought they weren't good enough. And hope we get to play them against PSU some day." (At least something to that effect.) We'll be alright.

Not a good hire for Syracuse... we will get dominated (recruiting) probably more than we have before with Franklin as HC

Penn State was having an outstanding recruiting year with O'Brien.

We will do well based on our success on the field and our enhancement of the football complex.

Franklin does also have a strong connection to CORE6 in Chicago. A group we have 3 current commits out of. He recently spoke at their banquet and is highly respected by the founders. So it's not just the Mid-Atlantic he could clean up in, but also the midwest...aka Mikale Wilbon, and Brendan Brosnen

They don't always win: Nassib, Pugh, Hickey, West to name a few stolen from their backyard. I still remember former HCDM saying at an open practice in Manley a few years ago: "We want to get some of those Pennsylvania kids that have talent but were over-looked or passed on by PSU and bring them here and keep reminding them that PSU thought they weren't good enough. And hope we get to play them against PSU some day." (At least something to that effect.) We'll be alright.

Its not really a win over a team that didn't offer. Thats kind of like saying we beat UGA for Cam Lynch.

Anything that hurts Rutgers, UConn and Maryland has to help us at least tangentially.

PSU killing us for 20 years? More like 40 years.

I wouldn't be too quick to write off our chances... Remote and unlikely as it is - any coaching change can go bust. What happens if they don't get back to 8-10 win seasons? What if they have a couple of losing seasons?

What if we reel off a couple of 10 win seasons? Who knows?

(Just playing devils advocate here, don't kill me ;).)

Syracuse’s work won’t be any harder than usual recruiting against Penn State.

I would absolutely be on the horn to OL Brendan Brosnan and RB Mikale Wilbon.