Class of 2014 - January Enrollees | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 January Enrollees

Anyone know who is a potential January enrollee?

From CuseLegacy's posted tweet, it looks like A.J. Long will be here (which is huge for him trying to win that QB job).

Anyone else (or confirmation on AJ)?
Cooper was mentioned in paper.

It all depends on numbers you can sign and enroll 25 kids per calendar year.

It's 25 kids per recruiting class, not 25 per calendar year.

Don't confuse "enrolling early" with "being backdated to an earlier class". Two different things.

At one point during the last recruiting cycle, we had 25 verbals. Shafer and Co started to turn kids away because there was no more room in the current class. This tells me that there wasn't room in the 2012 Class to backdate anyone. McGloster wasn't offered until after Howard didn't qualify..

So everyone we signed in 2013 counted towards 2013, whether they enrolled early in Jan 2013 or Aug 2013.

We signed 23 kids, so there are 2 available "2013 slots" up for grabs to the first two 2014 kids who are able to enroll early in Jan 2014.

For the sake of simplicity, we'll give them to Williams and Cooper.

If AJ Long is able to enroll early, he'll still be a 2014 kid.

That's three early enrollees (so far), with only two able to be backdated to 2013.

In theory, we could sign 27 kids (since Williams and Cooper would count towards 2013), however we still have to be at 85.

With 66 players potentially returning, there's still room for only 19 newbies (or Williams & Cooper + 17 more).

I hope Hickey didn't move from the "leaving" category to the "staying" category today. Sounds like he's out for BC.

Don't confuse "enrolling early" with "being backdated to an earlier class". Two different things.

At one point during the last recruiting cycle, we had 25 verbals. Shafer and Co started to turn kids away because there was no more room in the current class. This tells me that there wasn't room in the 2012 Class to backdate anyone. McGloster wasn't offered until after Howard didn't qualify..

So everyone we signed in 2013 counted towards 2013, whether they enrolled early in Jan 2013 or Aug 2013.

We signed 23 kids, so there are 2 available "2013 slots" up for grabs to the first two 2014 kids who are able to enroll early in Jan 2014.

That's three early enrollees (so far), with only two able to be backdated to 2013.

In theory, we could sign 27 kids (since Williams and Cooper would count towards 2013), however we still have to be at 85.

With 66 players potentially returning, there's still room for only 19 newbies (or Williams & Cooper + 17 more).

I hope Hickey didn't move from the "leaving" category to the "staying" category today. Sounds like he's out for BC.
Actually, Hickey coming back for another year would not be a bad thing imo

Im not confusing anything. a jan enrollee can be counted forward or back. back depends on How many kids were signed the previous year. It's 25 kids per calendar year/ enrolled.

So if 25 new scholie kids show up in August 2013 then any jan kids would count toward 2014. If 19 new scholie kids show up in August 2013 then up to 6 jan enrollees can back count towards the 2013 class.

You're going to have to show me the rules if im wrong because I've been doing this a long time. Only 19 kids who signed last year enrolled, and arcineage/miller may have backdated to 2012. either way only 19 kids showed, we could enroll 6 in jan and have them count toward last year.

We didn't turn away kids last year either, I'm not sure how you figure that. we took kids well after signing day and one a total project because we had room. In fact the project from NJ I might not have counted in my number so call it 20 kids and we can back date 5 this winter.

Im not confusing anything. a jan enrollee can be counted forward or back. back depends on How many kids were signed the previous year. It's 25 kids per calendar year/ enrolled.

So if 25 new scholie kids show up in August 2013 then any jan kids would count toward 2014. If 19 new scholie kids show up in August 2013 then up to 6 jan enrollees can back count towards the 2013 class.

You're going to have to show me the rules if im wrong because I've been doing this a long time. Only 19 kids who signed last year enrolled, and arcineage/miller may have backdated to 2012. either way only 19 kids showed, we could enroll 6 in jan and have them count toward last year.

We didn't turn away kids last year either, I'm not sure how you figure that. we took kids well after signing day and one a total project because we had room. In fact the project from NJ I might not have counted in my number so call it 20 kids and we can back date 5 this winter.

Phat, not about to get in a debate with you over how many count and how many don't, because I'm not even sure at this point.

But 22 kids who signed last year showed up either in January or for the Summer/Fall. I think you're missing the major projects - McGloster and Perry and maybe Lasker:

QB's (2)
A. Wilson, M. Kimble

WR's (3)
B. Estime, S. Avant, C. Winfield

TE (2)
A. Batten, T. Provo, K. Moore

OL (4)
M. Lasker, J. Burton, J. Miller, J. McGloster, A. Hayes

DL (3)
I. Johnson, T. Marona, T. Trejo

LB (4)
L. Arciniega, M. Hodge, J. Kirkland, A. Perry

DB (2)
D. Kelly, C. Scissum

DNQ's (2)
C. Cooper, W. Williams

DNS (1) (Did not show - will not be re-recruited)
M. Howard

That would mean that AAM graduates in three years...he never red-shirted.

If Jerome Smith leaves after this year, they could really use AAM next year. All we definitely have there is Morris and mcfarlane.

If Ameen-Moore can't get any reps now, he's never going to.
I don't want to be critical of him but he's not getting back on the field except for an emergency.

I was told that nobody from the Class of 2013 could be backdated to 2012 (although I'm not sure the info I got was 100% correct). Can't trust anybody on the Hill. ;)

Here's your 23:

1 Luke Arciniega (Jan 2013 enrollee)
2 Josh Kirkland (Jan 2013 enrollee)
3 John Miller (Jan 2013 enrollee)
4 Jonathan Burton (Jan 2013 enrollee)
5 Tyler Provo
6 Austin Wilson
7 Marqez Hodge
8 Isaiah Johnson
9 Trevon Trejo
10 Darius Kelly
11 Corey Winfield
12 Alex Hayes
13 Chauncey Scissum
14 Mitch Kimble
15 PJ Batten
16 Brisly Estime
17 Kendall Moore
18 Alryk Perry
19 Tyler Marona
20 Drew Allen
21 Michael Lasker
22 Sean Avant
23 Jamar McGloster

Not sure why you think we only brought in 19 players last year.

Even if Arciniega and Miller could count towards 2012, that still leaves 21 players on the 2013 books, with the chance for four Jan 2014 enrollees to be backdated to 2013.

However right now we only have 3 early enrollee candidates (Williams, Cooper, Long). So right now the only question is if Long counts towards 2014, or 2013.

And we still can only take 19 newbies right now before we bump up against the 85 limit, pending graduations, transfers, and NFL's.

Last edited:

Are you serious, I would take Hickey coming back for a year before any recruit that we could bring in. There is a reason why we ran so well on that first drive yesterday compared to the rest of the game when he was out.

Phat, not about to get in a debate with you over how many count and how many don't, because I'm not even sure at this point.

But 22 kids who signed last year showed up either in January or for the Summer/Fall. I think you're missing the major projects - McGloster and Perry and maybe Lasker:

QB's (2)
A. Wilson, M. Kimble

WR's (3)
B. Estime, S. Avant, C. Winfield

TE (2)
A. Batten, T. Provo, K. Moore

OL (4)
M. Lasker, J. Burton, J. Miller, J. McGloster, A. Hayes

DL (3)
I. Johnson, T. Marona, T. Trejo

LB (4)
L. Arciniega, M. Hodge, J. Kirkland, A. Perry

DB (2)
D. Kelly, C. Scissum

DNQ's (2)
C. Cooper, W. Williams

DNS (1) (Did not show - will not be re-recruited)
M. Howard

Hey tep I didn't count perry, mcgloster and somehow missed Winfield.

I was told that nobody from the Class of 2013 could be backdated to 2012 (although I'm not sure the info I got was 100% correct). Can't trust anybody on the Hill. ;)

Here's your 23:

1 Luke Arciniega (Jan 2013 enrollee)
2 Josh Kirkland (Jan 2013 enrollee)
3 John Miller (Jan 2013 enrollee)
4 Jonathan Burton (Jan 2013 enrollee)
5 Tyler Provo
6 Austin Wilson
7 Marqez Hodge
8 Isaiah Johnson
9 Trevon Trejo
10 Darius Kelly
11 Corey Winfield
12 Alex Hayes
13 Chauncey Scissum
14 Mitch Kimble
15 PJ Batten
16 Brisly Estime
17 Kendall Moore
18 Alryk Perry
19 Tyler Marona
20 Drew Allen
21 Michael Lasker
22 Sean Avant
23 Jamar McGloster

Not sure why you think we only brought in 19 players last year.

Even if Arciniega and Miller could count towards 2012, that still leaves 21 players on the 2013 books, with the chance for four Jan 2014 enrollees to be backdated to 2013.

However right now we only have 3 early enrollee candidates (Williams, Cooper, Long). So right now the only question is if Long counts towards 2014, or 2013.

And we still can only take 19 newbies right now before we bump up against the 85 limit, pending graduations, transfers, and NFL's.

I came up with 19 because I was looking at an incomplete list. So it's 22 total last year.

Drew Allen - to my knowledge - doesn't count against the 25 cap as a transfer.

For the 2012 class Hilliard didn't make it and I'd question if Barrett counted. I had 20 kids plus the late signees like Walls. All 4 of those 2013 jucos may have been back counted.

I came up with 19 because I was looking at an incomplete list. So it's 22 total last year.

Drew Allen - to my knowledge - doesn't count against the 25 cap as a transfer.

For the 2012 class Hilliard didn't make it and I'd question if Barrett counted. I had 20 kids plus the late signees like Walls. All 4 of those 2013 jucos may have been back counted.

I think Barrett has to count because he practiced with the team for a week before leaving. If he never showed up, it would be a different story. I don't even have Hilliard listed since he never qualified.
And I also think that transfers count (both Funderburk and Raymond would count towards 2012). Otherwise, what would prevent a school from bringing in 25 freshmen and 10-15 transfers every year? Even the SEC doesn't allow 40 person recruiting classes. :D

This is what I have listed for 2012 recruits, if you want to compare notes:

1 Wayne Morgan
2 Dontez Ford
3 Julian Whigham
4 George Morris
5 DeVante McFarlane
6 Ryan Norton
7 Omari Palmer
8 Marcus Coleman
9 Kyle Knapp
10 Jason Emerich
11 Ron Thompson
12 Alvin Cornelius
13 Ben Lewis
14 Joshua Parris
15 James Washington
16 Josh Manley
17 Quinta Funderburk
18 John Raymon
19 Mark Pierce-Brewster
20 Christopher Clark
21 Davon Walls
22 Zian Jones
23 Ben Barrett

Both Broyld and Myles Davis were 2012 recruits that were backcounted towards 2011 (they both enrolled in Jan 2012).

Not sure why I was told that the 2012 class was full ... unless the person was confused about AB and Davis.

So it sounds like we have the ability to take somewhere in the 23 range if you count in backdating, as long as we're not limited by roster spots. Talk about fishes and loaves. We probably won't know exactly how many recruits we'll take until the ink is dry.

So it sounds like we have the ability to take somewhere in the 23 range if you count in backdating, as long as we're not limited by roster spots. Talk about fishes and loaves. We probably won't know exactly how many recruits we'll take until the ink is dry.

It's true. According to others, we should be limited to 19 bodies, but i imagine some attrition is coming, particularly at the WR position.

BbFUTmrCEAALBxw.jpg:large

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom