Class of 2014 - Ja'Quan Newton | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 Ja'Quan Newton

For 2014 I'll be happy as long as Kaleb Joseph becomes orange... ecstatic if Goodluck joins him.

2015 I want Bryant and Diallo.

Is this one of the big fish Whitehead has been waiting for Francis? Do they have a legit shot?
Whitehead has had an offer from them already but now they have offered his boy Newton, so things could get interesting there. UCLA has just been throwing offers out there to everybody and hoping to see who bites. UCLA has a name and history behind it, so it would be foolish to not take them seriously.

Why on earth would anyone want to play for Steve Alford? What an arrogant jerk!

Why on earth would anyone want to play for Steve Alford? What an arrogant jerk!
oh... no reason

pile-of-money.png

Newton seems like he would be a solid fit for '14 with obvious Philadelphia guard successes. Ruthless in his attack of the basket - something that was lacked last year (finishing anyway).

I love his body control and ability to use his body to protect the ball and get shots off. Really impressive athlete. Not sure he is going to get to the basket as easily at the top level of college basketball though.

The only outside shot he took was a set shot so I can't say much about his outside shooting from this. Based on this film, I would be a little worried about him being willing to share the ball and feed other players. No idea how effective he might be on defense but with his athletic ability, I would think he would be solid.

I like him but our offense runs best with a PG who is unselfish and pass first. Will he work the ball around? Can he be effective without having the ball in his hands 20 seconds per possession?

So basically, it's either going to be 1) Joseph or 2)Newton/Whitehead. I'd take Joseph - Patterson is a major sleeper at the 2, and Cooney will always be there to back-up.

So basically, it's either going to be 1) Joseph or 2)Newton/Whitehead. I'd take Joseph - Patterson is a major sleeper at the 2, and Cooney will always be there to back-up.
Tough call, man.
But here's the good news.
Just saying we get any one of the three, all of them can handle the point, have demonstrated that in the past year.
So, if either of BJ, Buss, MikeG, Cooney hold up at the 2 (which we know at least one will), we can take any one of these three talented combo guards. I use the term combo guard a little more loosely for KJ as he's probably a strict PG.

All of that said, I still feel like we push to try and get two of these guys.

Eenie meanie miney moe,
Whitehead, Newton or K-Joe
It doesn't matter which baller comes
Tee will give 'em 50 thumbs!
The one who's Orange in '14 fall
by seasons end will have won it all!
So come on boyz you'd best not wait
The Cuse teams brewin'- be real great!
We've seen you play, you're all great "gets"
which one of you will cut down nets?
Kentucky 'n others are in your face
the best they'll be is second place!
So why you waitin' till the fall
It's time you holla JB and call!

Eenie meanie miney moe,
Beauty, man. Very nice!
In fact, I was going to give any of those ballers thumbs up. Instead, you got em and then some.
o-FACEBOOK-THUMBS-UP-570.jpg

Beauty, man. Very nice!
In fact, I was going to give any of those ballers thumbs up. Instead, you got em and then some.
o-FACEBOOK-THUMBS-UP-570.jpg

That is awesome, Tee. Where do you come up with this stuff!!!

That is awesome, Tee. Where do you come up with this stuff!!!
For this one, when he posted 50 thumbs, I started to "google images" many thumbs, then thought guinness book of world records thumbs up, and this lil lovely came up! Probably another reason is just like my dad, I'm the "I've got a story about this..." kind of guy that always has a reference. Drives my brother crazy. He lacks the annoyance gene. :)
Usually just running off of others ideas. Best for instance, PeteCalvin told me to yellow card a guy on a post, and I found one. Now, I've got a tee library of images....
See that? I've even got a story about getting a story.
mind-blown.jpg

Eenie meanie miney moe,

winternet.jpg

Telep article:

The schools making the cut are UCLA, Oregon, Minnesota, Syracuse, Miami and Texas A&M. Hometown Villanova would have been on the list, but Booth beat Newton to the punch. Newton, who is ranked No. 67 in the ESPN 100, now intends to rip through the process so he’s able to pick a program on his terms.

“My plan is to take visits as soon as possible and just go from there,” Newton said.

Newton is a neophyte to the visit process, having only been on Syracuse’s campus -- and that was during an elite camp as a ninth-grader. As much as he’d like to decide quickly, he needs those visits to make the final call.

Telep article:

The schools making the cut are UCLA, Oregon, Minnesota, Syracuse, Miami and Texas A&M. Hometown Villanova would have been on the list, but Booth beat Newton to the punch. Newton, who is ranked No. 67 in the ESPN 100, now intends to rip through the process so he’s able to pick a program on his terms.

“My plan is to take visits as soon as possible and just go from there,” Newton said.

Newton is a neophyte to the visit process, having only been on Syracuse’s campus -- and that was during an elite camp as a ninth-grader. As much as he’d like to decide quickly, he needs those visits to make the final call.

What do you think happens?? Who do we get out of JN, IW, and KJ? What's you gut say?

What do you think happens?? Who do we get out of JN, IW, and KJ? What's you gut say?

This is based purely off gut...don't have any inside info. Think we land Joseph...don't get Newton or Whitehead. Newton got a UCLA offer last week and kept them around. Starting to get a feeling Newton and Whitehead both go to UCLA.

Also have a doomsday feeling where all three select different schools - but then remember McCullough is already on board so a true doomsday scenario isn't applicable. If all three of these guys go elsewhere, the staff has to take a flier on a PG for depth, right?

Per Adam Zagoria, Ja'Quan cut his list to UCLA, Oregon, Syracuse, Minnesota, Miami, and Texas A&M.

Quite an eclectic group.

I love how Oregon played 2 good games in the NCAAT this year and all of a sudden they're a trendy location for kids.

I love how Oregon played 2 good games in the NCAAT this year and all of a sudden they're a trendy location for kids.
It's amazing how much winning recently makes my kids stand up and take notice. Wonder what Florida Gulf Coast recruiting is looking like these days?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom