JB calling into Axe about recruiting now | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

JB calling into Axe about recruiting now

Yes, to the professor, it does matter. As I said, it was just a figure of speech. You didn't say, "Player X is like crap on the floor."

You are a magnet around here for vitriol because you are blunt. I don't always agree with you and vice-versa but you don't bash our players. You look at things (especially the staff) with a critical eye. This is an opinion board. If we all thought everything was great all the time, this place would be boring. There are posters who are only negative. I'd say you're always expecting a lot of our program.

You're right, I do expect a lot because we have EVERYTHING in place to be what we were early this decade regularly.

What's painful for me is it was easy to see it coming. We get perfect pieces and throw them in with guys that probably don't belong in a ACC lineup for 30 minutes a game.

The draft pick streak is nice, but when it's one guy being the focal point of a team of course he's going to get pro looks. But there's a reason why it's one guy every year, because we usually have only one guy.

HOF coach, facilities, academics, and reputation. Zero excuse why we're here, and as someone else said in another post, it's sad we're talking about "making the tourney if we have great chemistry".

The question is...will TT make it back at all?

Oh, he will be here. Just this year, then gonzo. Hes not a happy camper but his mom will kick his arse if he bails now. Did he look like he liked playing zone last year?

Last edited:
Is that a bar in Vegas? Dr. Dre? I don't get the reference.
Lol...autocorrect? Drai's. Yep...nightclub

drais.jpg

Id say he's just had a few too many at Dre's...

Ehhhhh, I stay off the strip and go to local joints. Have a new girlfriend so I'm slowing down a little bit, but she's young so keeping me moving.

Oh, he will be here. Just this year, then gonzo. Hes not a happy camper but his mom will kick his arse if he bails now. Did he look like he liked playing zone next year?
I've heard other things...but yeah, not a fan.

Ehhhhh, I stay off the strip and go to local joints. Have a new girlfriend so I'm slowing down a little bit, but she's young so keeping me moving.
Is there video poker?

You're right, I do expect a lot because we have EVERYTHING in place to be what we were early this decade regularly.

What's painful for me is it was easy to see it coming. We get perfect pieces and throw them in with guys that probably don't belong in a ACC lineup for 30 minutes a game.

The draft pick streak is nice, but when it's one guy being the focal point of a team of course he's going to get pro looks. But there's a reason why it's one guy every year, because we usually have only one guy.

HOF coach, facilities, academics, and reputation. Zero excuse why we're here, and as someone else said in another post, it's sad we're talking about "making the tourney if we have great chemistry".
The biggest mistake we made was "transition". It was as bad a move as we could've made. Then sanctions killed us.

Is there video poker?

There's video poker in super markets. Oh yeah. Usually hit two places, ones Moondoggies which has the best pizza I've ever had and another Bubbies University which is a newer place and it's just a blast. Got my ass handed to me in double double bonus poker this week...

Are you really not seeing the circumstances that have caused this? Ignoring them? Pretending they're not significant?
Call them excuses or whatever, but they're real and they're crippling.

Are you really not seeing the circumstances that have caused this? Ignoring them? Pretending they're not significant?

What's crippling is missing on the guys we've brought in. I can make a list if you'd like. Every player on that list if you go through their recruiting threads make them sound like they're bringing us to the championship. Every year it's "we have this guy this guy and this guy, this freshman is amazing and this other guy is awesome", every year for the last 4 have been like that. Either call it what it is when we recruit them or accept defeat on those guys. But calling a mulligan and making excuses of sanctions when "everything was fine" year after year doesn't make sense.

Oh, he will be here. Just this year, then gonzo. Hes not a happy camper but his mom will kick his arse if he bails now. Did he look like he liked playing zone last year?
just makes no sense (to me).
I mean, is it as simple as he hates playing zone?
I observed numerous times last year TT standing watching while others around him went up for rebounds (both ends of floor) - is that part of his hate of the zone?

Some of those issues are self-inflicted IMO.

The majority around here and the majority is still saying everything is fine.
There might be a few doing that... but it seems like most are acknowledging last year (at least the month of December) was unacceptable, that the '17 recruiting cycle was/is mostly a miss (tho on-court results may prove otherwise), and that the '18 cycle still needs to play out...
all with the understanding that selectively-harsh NCAA sanctions and a HOF coach at the end of his career are making things much more difficult.
:noidea:

image.jpg

There might be a few doing that... but it seems like most are acknowledging last year (at least the month of December) was unacceptable, that the '17 recruiting cycle was/is mostly a miss (tho on-court results may prove otherwise), and that the '18 cycle still needs to play out...
all with the understanding that selectively-harsh NCAA sanctions and a HOF coach at the end of his career are making things much more difficult.
:noidea:

The main reason was the mistake we made with the lineup,which I don't know if it would've been ironed out or not in the summer. It may have needed to be played in real competition

I'm pretty sure that a majority of posters here said starting white at the 2 with both Roberson and Coleman playing would not work. Slide Battle in and bring Roberson off the bench from game one and I don't think our OOC is such a disaster. Yes guys getting in late played a part but the rotation in the early going was bad coaching.

I expect 22 wins or more. We're Syracuse University.

We have a hall of fame coach.
One of the greatest home court advantages on Earth, regardless of sports.
A team that consists of top 100 prospects and at least one NBA ready potential lottery pick.
The Melo Center

And we're god damn SU.

I'm not tempering my expectations.

What's crippling is missing on the guys we've brought in. I can make a list if you'd like. Every player on that list if you go through their recruiting threads make them sound like they're bringing us to the championship. Every year it's "we have this guy this guy and this guy, this freshman is amazing and this other guy is awesome", every year for the last 4 have been like that. Either call it what it is when we recruit them or accept defeat on those guys. But calling a mulligan and making excuses of sanctions when "everything was fine" year after year doesn't make sense.

I agree 100%. By far, this is the proximate cause of our precarious position and pecking order in the ACC. Unless next year truly exceeds expectations, we are looking at our 4th year in a row of being a middle of the pack, mediocre .500 ACC club. I hope we can finally get that ACC tourney W; I'd have never believed anyone if they had told me when we joined, that we still would be bowling gutter balls in that regard.

Last edited:
I expect 22 wins or more. We're Syracuse University.

We have a hall of fame coach.
One of the greatest home court advantages on Earth, regardless of sports.
A team that consists of top 100 prospects and at least one NBA ready potential lottery pick.
The Melo Center

And we're god damn SU.

I'm not tempering my expectations.

Slow down on those Bloody Mary's! ;):p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online