JB calls dying man | Syracusefan.com

JB calls dying man

Amazing story. Dan was something special and our Coach so cares about our program and the fans. This is a moment to sit back and appreciate how lucky we are to have such a coaching staff in place. Syracuse born with orange blood in the veins.
Btw... Anybody catch the quote," I still have to coach my son Buddy and he won't be here for another year"

18.png
Wow that's a tear jerker

There are many stories like this, the majority never publicized. Personally I know 3 instances that were never in the paper. Publicity was never the goal.

Before every game, watch JB after he comes out to the court, does the perfunctory handshakes , small talk then walks back to the SU sideline - he then stares, looking around and upward taking in and assessing the entire dome crowd. JB appreciates and knows how important the fans are. This is his routine each and every home game.

Very nice by JB. Not that it's anything like that gesture but at Albany No Huddle Tour I asked JB if he would call my best friend in Syracuse who has been going to games for 40 years. He gets on the phone with my friend (who was not expecting the call) and starts talking a little smack with him ... you're probably one of those guys who's always criticizing me aren't you? Was pretty funny.

I have met JB three times. Once when he was coaching Louie and Bouie against Villanova in game played in Rochester, then in Montreal coaching CJ FAir and rest of Orange in Canada exhibition, and recently in the no huddle get together in Albany. All three times he was an affable likable guy. A huge contrast when you see him at his press conferences.

When I was 19 I met Boeheim at a coaching clinic in Seattle for Nike. My brother and I were coaching a youth YMCA summer league team. I will just say our team was not good. Anyway at the clinic after Boeheim does his thing it was the lunch break. He sat there are talked to me and my brother about our practices we were running and what we were going to change for the upcoming summer. For like 35 minutes. He talked about drills we could run and how we could improve. It was pretty cool. At one point my brother made a comment about an idea he had and Boeheim was like, I really like that I should do something like that at Syracuse. This is back in 95. My brother just looks at him and is like, are you serious or are you making fun of me. Boeheim just looks at him and says we are all coaches here. You have to keep learning. He is a great guy that is for sure.

Its amazing how many people think that Jb is this whiny little guy with no personality, he does hundreds of things like this, and he has a great sense of humor.

When I was 19 I met Boeheim at a coaching clinic in Seattle for Nike. My brother and I were coaching a youth YMCA summer league team. I will just say our team was not good. Anyway at the clinic after Boeheim does his thing it was the lunch break. He sat there are talked to me and my brother about our practices we were running and what we were going to change for the upcoming summer. For like 35 minutes. He talked about drills we could run and how we could improve. It was pretty cool. At one point my brother made a comment about an idea he had and Boeheim was like, I really like that I should do something like that at Syracuse. This is back in 95. My brother just looks at him and is like, are you serious or are you making fun of me. Boeheim just looks at him and says we are all coaches here. You have to keep learning. He is a great guy that is for sure.

Was the idea playing strictly 2-3 zone?

You're probably right. Technically, he probably shouldn't have said that (even if you were joking).

Yeah - almost certainly technically shouldn't haven't said it.

But f*&k the technicality. Give Dan and the rest of Cuse Nation some inside info.

Love JB, and all he does for this community. Plus, many other things outside of Syracuse.

With Buddy, of course he has to coach him. It doesn't matter where he goes to school. He's gonna coach his kid during his career. As he has for life, and will as long as he can.

Great article. The Buddy part was interesting to me. Are those in the know assuming this is a done deal and Buddy is coming via walk on? I assumed he didn't make his mind up yet.

Great article. The Buddy part was interesting to me. Are those in the know assuming this is a done deal and Buddy is coming via walk on? I assumed he didn't make his mind up yet.
It's a done deal in the sense that Buddy has said that what ever his dad thinks is best is what he will do. So if JAB wants Buddy he is coming. I think the way JAB is recruiting right now it is pretty clear he is leaving a spot for Buddy to have playing time.

It's a done deal in the sense that Buddy has said that what ever his dad thinks is best is what he will do. So if JAB wants Buddy he is coming. I think the way JAB is recruiting right now it is pretty clear he is leaving a spot for Buddy to have playing time.

is he that much better than the other Boeheim son? I would think he'd want to coach both but i have no idea how both grade out. If he's playing at Cornell i have to think he's worthy of at least a walk on spot as well at Syracuse? Has to be an odd dynamic for all of them no matter what. I hope it works out for both because that situation can be tough especially with how Boeheim coaches.

is he that much better than the other Boeheim son? I would think he'd want to coach both but i have no idea how both grade out. If he's playing at Cornell i have to think he's worthy of at least a walk on spot as well at Syracuse? Has to be an odd dynamic for all of them no matter what. I hope it works out for both because that situation can be tough especially with how Boeheim coaches.
Buddy is much better than Jimmy. Jimmy always had the ivy league goal and I think that fits with his skill set. Buddy shot like 50% from 3 in EYBL. He is a great shooter. He is not the quickest kid and plays a little below the rim but is better than Jimmy still in both those areas in my opinion. If he wasn't Jim Boeheim's son I don't believe he would be going to Syracuse but I think it is a smart move bringing him in with no scholly and he should contribute. Not sure when but eventually.

Buddy is much better than Jimmy. Jimmy always had the ivy league goal and I think that fits with his skill set. Buddy shot like 50% from 3 in EYBL. He is a great shooter. He is not the quickest kid and plays a little below the rim but is better than Jimmy still in both those areas in my opinion. If he wasn't Jim Boeheim's son I don't believe he would be going to Syracuse but I think it is a smart move bringing him in with no scholly and he should contribute. Not sure when but eventually.
Jimmy will take a year somewhere along the line and use his final year of eligibility at SU as a grad transfer. Play for his Dad, alongside his lil bro. Totally a guess.

Amazing story. Dan was something special and our Coach so cares about our program and the fans. This is a moment to sit back and appreciate how lucky we are to have such a coaching staff in place. Syracuse born with orange blood in the veins.
Btw... Anybody catch the quote," I still have to coach my son Buddy and he won't be here for another year"

Dans are born to be Orange and they are something special to the Cuse Family. Orangeyes is another example.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom