JB Extension=Damage Control | Syracusefan.com

JB Extension=Damage Control

JazzNC

Starter
Just going on record as saying I think this JB extension means nothing. It's a damage control response. Hop learned he wasn't Wildhack's choice, and said screw this. Hop took care of Hop, and I don't blame him.

SU was left no choice, and had to say something to stop the bleeding. Announcing an extension with a 72 year old coach, as popular as JB is, is risky, but it gave the current team and incoming recruits some stability.

I think, long term, it's nothing more than posturing by SU. They will actively look for JB's replacement and it will happen sooner than later.

This is just a meaningless extension that is meant to pacify the public image of SU being a program on the outs.

I wouldn't say it's damage control, but I agree that it is probably meaningless.

A 72 year old coach isn't going to be in charge that much longer no matter what he and many others want.

How can you say it's not damage control... we lost our HCIW and our HC was supposed to leave in a year. It's definitely damage control.

How can you say it's not damage control... we lost our HCIW and our HC was supposed to leave in a year. It's definitely damage control.
This has been brewing since last year.

JB leaving has been "brewing" but not Hop one year before he was supposed to take over.

Agree to disagree... the plan was for JB to leave after next season with Hop taking over. Wildhack didn't want Hop. Hop left, Boeheim gets to stay (which is what Boeheim wanted). This was IMO not what SU planned. They were forced (damage control) to keep JB.

I'm not unhappy this happened... quite frankly, I have mixed feelings.

Truth is none of us actually know what went down. We are all speculating. I think Hop leaving because he wanted to one year before he's set to take over at SU, is highly unlikely.

I think it's much more likely that the new AD wants a better known commodity than Hop.

Truth is none of us actually know what went down. We are all speculating. I think Hop leaving because he wanted to one year before he's set to take over at SU, is highly unlikely.

I think it's much more likely that the new AD wants a better known commodity than Hop.
cool. I think he got offered more money than we were willing to match. if it comes out that he was hired on the cheap, than you might be on to something.

Which could explain his falling off the recruiting trail.

I think this is going to put wind under Boeheim's wings. I think he wants vindication. Validation. He wants to go out in glory. He wants to leave the Dome feet first! And I'm telling you, he's not leaving. And he wants to stick it to the NCAA.

He's a survivor. Cue the disco music. Or Wagner.

I think this is going to put wind under Boeheim's wings. I think he wants vindication. Validation. He wants to go out in glory. He wants to leave the Dome feet first! And I'm telling you, he's not leaving. And he wants to stick it to the NCAA.

I agree... Boeheim is a fighter. But, you gotta land recruits to have a chance. I hope we hire a real recruiter.

Which could explain his falling off the recruiting trail.

Unfortunate, but sounds likely to me. Bad vibes around the team this year. It's been sour for a while.

LOL! Anyone else think he looks a little like John Wayne? :)

602833_original.jpg

Just going on record as saying I think this JB extension means nothing. It's a damage control response. Hop learned he wasn't Wildhack's choice, and said screw this. Hop took care of Hop, and I don't blame him.

SU was left no choice, and had to say something to stop the bleeding. Announcing an extension with a 72 year old coach, as popular as JB is, is risky, but it gave the current team and incoming recruits some stability.

I think, long term, it's nothing more than posturing by SU. They will actively look for JB's replacement and it will happen sooner than later.

This is just a meaningless extension that is meant to pacify the public image of SU being a program on the outs.

Meaningless! You are entitled to your opinion,(s). We over 70 crowds that watched JB and Dave in Manley know that we have a hell of a lot more energy than you can imagine. The program will be just fine now that we know there is a firm extension for Jim and the conjectures about his retirement will die "sooner than later!"

Last edited by a moderator:
You are entitled to your opinion. Us over 70 crowds that watches JB and Dave in Manley know that we have a hell of a lot more energy than you can imagine. The program will be just fine now that there are no conjectures about his retirement!

You're making an assumption about my age. That's ok. IMO it's highly unlikely JB will coach until he's 77, let alone coach successfully for 5 more years?

I want the program to continue to flourish too, but if you think this extension will eliminate questions about retirement, I'd like to have some of that pipe you're smoking.

This will not end well. Think 'icons' like JoePa or Bobby Bowden wearing drool bibs and 'coaching' from some tower a half mile from the field. Plus they were basically reduced to the role of being wheeled in and closing with starry-eyed recruits while others did the real coaching. Does that sound like JB to you?

This was a game of chicken and the AD blinked first.

I love what Jim has done for us and the school, but history is doomed to repeat itself. I wish they'd stood firm.

Last edited:
You are entitled to your opinion. Us over 70 crowds that watches JB and Dave in Manley know that we have a hell of a lot more energy than you can imagine. The program will be just fine now that there are no conjectures about his retirement!
Extending him changes nothing. There will still be massive amounts of speculation, it will still be used negatively on the recruiting trail. The guy is 72, Father Time catches up to all of us.

This will not end well. Think 'icons' like JoePa or Bobby Bowden wearing drool bibs and 'coaching' from some tower a half mile from the field.

This was a game of chicken and the AD blinked first.

I love what Jim has done for us and the school, but history is doomed to repeat itself. I wish they'd stood firm.

Point taken. And history doesn't repeat, but it does rhyme.

Extending him changes nothing. There will still be massive amounts of speculation, it will still be used negatively on the recruiting trail. The guy is 72, Father Time catches up to all of us.
You as well are entitled to YOUR opinion. Let's see how this plays out before we go damning JB endlessly.

You as well are entitled to YOUR opinion. Let's see how this plays out before we go damning JB endlessly.

Hey, hey, hey! "Damning JB endlessly." That's not what he said or even implied. Let's give the massive over-reaction a rest here.

I don't think either one of us are endlessly damning JB. We are being realists about the likelihood of him coaching successfully for 5 more years, and that no extension is going to stop retirement questioning and negative recruitment tactics. I love JB, please don't imply that I don't.