JB has put himself in a precarious position.... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

JB has put himself in a precarious position....

The Athletic article says we are likely losing
Goodine, Carey, Braswell, Washington to transfer
Hughes to pro basketball and may lose a walk-on but that doesn’t matter.

We were actually looking at full roster next year now we are looking at 9 or 10 scholarship players and have to fill the remaining 3 or 4.

Oh boy that gives off confidence.
Can we bank those empty scholarships to pay for scholarship reductions as a result of future sanctions?

I don't get all the hand-wringing over one of the worst teams in memory getting blown up in the off season. What am I missing?
It’s called being a realist and not an idealist.

Our recruiting hasn’t been that good recently. So losing 4 players and banking on replacing them with grad transfers isn’t exactly appealing.

We have to hope we replace Hughes to just get back to mediocre. When do we make the leap from mediocrity to top 25 again? 2 years from now?

they were marginally better on D and awful on O. let’s stop with the BS perception that they were some lock down defenders.

I mean, marginally isn't quite accurate. A cardboard cutout would be marginally better. We don't play M2M, I'm not sure "lockdown defender" is a term we use here.

I don't get all the hand-wringing over one of the worst teams in memory getting blown up in the off season. What am I missing?
Because a lot of people were saying that the mediocre seasons were over because of the great players we're getting in ... those great players are leaving after another mediocre season, but many of those same posters are saying that the mediocre seasons are over because of the great players we're getting in ... wash, rinse, repeat.

There's been a talent deficit with this program for the last six seasons. Losing talent doesn't make that go away. The excuses for another meh season are already built-in (well, you can't expect winning immediately, the zone takes time to learn, they didn't have development time with this team, these new guys are just out for themselves, etc.)

ETA: and I wouldn't characterize it as hand-wringing, just frustration by being witness to more of the same.

Because a lot of people were saying that the mediocre seasons were over because of the great players we're getting in ... those great players are leaving after another mediocre season, but many of those same posters are saying that the mediocre seasons are over because of the great players we're getting in ... wash, rinse, repeat.

There's been a talent deficit with this program for the last six seasons. Losing talent doesn't make that go away. The excuses for another meh season are already built-in (well, you can't expect winning immediately, the zone takes time to learn, they didn't have development time with this team, these new guys are just out for themselves, etc.)
Winner winner.

The same people defending this crap.
Will spin the reasons above when we are fighting for the win streak because that is the standard now.
Just keep on grinding out winning seasons.

ETA: and I wouldn't characterize it as hand-wringing, just frustration by being witness to more of the same.

The reasons for another mediocre season next year will be: we have mediocre talent.

The top 6-7 guys are always going to be what determines a teams success. We lost ONE guy who MAY have cracked that top 7(as number 6 or 7), so I don’t think those moves will have much or any effect on the bottom line.

Our top 6-7 look mediocre and the guys who left couldn’t even crack that 6-7.

The reasons for another mediocre season next year will be: we have mediocre talent.

The top 6-7 guys are always going to be what determines a teams success. We lost ONE guy who MAY have cracked that top 7(as number 6 or 7), so I don’t think those moves will have much or any effect on the bottom line.

Our top 6-7 look mediocre and the guys who left couldn’t even crack that 6-7.
O/U 18-13 right now what are you taking?

Also you understand the reason expectations were lower this year were because next year was supposed to be a growth year from this year.

We aren’t growing next year when we lose Hughes. It will be banking on replacing him and stay the same.

We are one injury from being really bad and that is bad roster management.

His last 10 seasons include 2 Finals Fours, 3 Elite Eights and 4 Sweet 16s. Also, 4 seasons above .750 (2 of which were 30+ win seasons) and a regular season conference title in the toughest conference that year.

Not many coaches have better resumes in the last 10 seasons than that. Given the struggles the last few seasons, JB’s last 10 is pretty impressive.

Agreed, but the truly talented teams were 2010, 2012 and 2013. We are a long way away from that, and I think you would agree that from recruiting to team performance, the last five have been a rough ride. That’s a long time in this sport, and the fan base is looking for indicators that things are moving in a positive direction. Dior is awesome, but that's off in the distance. This exodus seems indicative of more dysfunction - whether it’s on talent evaluation or how these players were handled.

they were marginally better on D and awful on O. let’s stop with the BS perception that they were some lock down defenders.
I think I saw it reported that both Goodine and HoWash will likely end up at Virginia because of their superior defensive skills. You put those two guys in Bennett’s pack-line defense, and I betcha there are entire games where their opponent does not even score.
Old man Boeheim simply has no clue how to recruit and play guards these days.

O/U 18-13 right now what are you taking?

Also you understand the reason expectations were lower this year were because next year was supposed to be a growth year from this year.

We aren’t growing next year when we lose Hughes. It will be banking on replacing him and stay the same.

We are one injury from being really bad and that is bad roster management.

We would’ve been one injury from being really bad anyway. If youve got Howard Washington or Jalen 26/44 Assist to turnover ratio Carey running point for any real amount of time, you’re going to be terrible.

Again...I’m expecting mediocrity, I always was expecting mediocrity, and nothing that happened in the last day has any effect on those expectations.

We’ll be good again when we’ve got 2-3 future NBA players on the team - or one absolute stud(AA level) on the team. I can’t think of a good Orange team that didn’t have the above.

I think I saw it reported that both Goodine and HoWash will likely end up at Virginia because of their superior defensive skills. You put those two guys in Bennett’s pack-line defense, and I betcha there are entire games where their opponent does not even score.
Old man Boeheim simply has no clue how to recruit and play guards these days.
Who recruited Goodine, Washington, Carey to Syracuse?

If they aren’t good enough why did he recruit them?

My god the buck stops at the top.

We would’ve been one injury from being really bad anyway. If youve got Howard Washington or Jalen 26/44 Assist to turnover ratio Carey running point for any real amount of time, you’re going to be terrible.

Again...I’m expecting mediocrity, I always was expecting mediocrity, and nothing that happened in the last day has any effect on those expectations.

We’ll be good again when we’ve got 2-3 future NBA players on the team - or one absolute stud(AA level) on the team. I can’t think of a good Orange team that didn’t have the above.
You get the frustration is looking at the team and not pretending it’s going to be better just because? Right?

When people trying spinning this situation is fine when if they take the blinders off they can see the truth. That is where I lose it.

I respect you and you are more patience than me. I am more sick of the spin than anything. I didn’t have expectations this year and was reasonable but seeing next year as the same and basically just waiting out Buddy Era gets frustrating.

We need NBA talent what NBA talent is going to come here as a guard and beat our Junior Girard or senior Buddy?

Who recruited Goodine, Washington, Carey to Syracuse?

If they aren’t good enough why did he recruit them?

My god the buck stops at the top.

We know why they took Washington. That was a stop gap, fill the roster out move. Nobody ever expected him to be more than just a body.

Jalen was a miss - he was supposed to be a stud and he’s not. Maybe he will be down the line because the A+ athleticism that led many to overrate him is there and is a plus. But he needs a lot of growth in his skills.

If Goodine was better than Girard as expected and Girard left because he realized he’d never start here...would we care?

I mean, I think Goodine will develop into a solid player but...we’ve got someone at his spot in his own class that’s better, and someone coming in right behind him that’s a similarly rated prospect.

Did we care when Eric Williams left because Damone Brown beat him out?

You get the frustration is looking at the team and not pretending it’s going to be better just because? Right?

When people trying spinning this situation is fine when if they take the blinders off they can see the truth. That is where I lose it.

I respect you and you are more patience than me. I am more sick of the spin than anything. I didn’t have expectations this year and was reasonable but seeing next year as the same and basically just waiting out Buddy Era gets frustrating.

We need NBA talent what NBA talent is going to come here as a guard and beat our Junior Girard or senior Buddy?

Shrug. It is what it is. In terms of preseason expectations(thinking we’re loaded and a lock to be top 25 all year!) it’s not going to change until we recruit better.

And it’s possible that we surprise and put together a team that gels perfectly and overachieves. I won’t write off that possibility for next year. We’ve got 4 starters back, a promising soph that got a lot better over his freshman year poised to join the lineup and a freshman who on paper checks off some boxes in terms of bringing some things to the table that we were otherwise missing(big guard that can get to the hole and finish and play multiple positions).

Last edited:
My biggest worry about these transfers is how limited our options to replace them are this late in the cycle.

if Jimmy Boeheim ends up doing a grad year here he would be better than any of them

We know why they took Washington. That was a stop gap, fill the roster out move. Nobody ever expected him to be more than just a body.

Jalen was a miss - he was supposed to be a stud and he’s not. Maybe he will be down the line because the A+ athleticism that led many to overrate him is there and is a plus. But he needs a lot of growth in his skills.

If Goodine was better than Girard as expected and Girard left because he realized he’d never start here...would we care?

I mean, I think Goodine will develop into a solid player but...we’ve got someone at his spot in his own class that’s better, and someone coming in right behind him that’s a similarly rated prospect.

Did we care when Eric Williams left because Damone Brown beat him out?

I mean, Damone Brown was pretty *******ing good. If the shooting guard was, say, really good, people may not be as concerned. We've seen what Buddy running huge minutes at SG leads to...it's not all that pretty. His PPG are though!! And that's what matters! We get trophies for that! Wait, do we?

It's a weird thing that people think JGIII and Buddy, are just gonna keep improving, but Goodine, eh, we've seen enough. Not a big loss. BB and JG are gonna gel! We're good at guard.

1000 likes your way on this if I could!

I mean, Damone Brown was pretty *******ing good. If the shooting guard was, say, really good, people may not be as concerned. We've seen what Buddy running huge minutes at SG leads to...it's not all that pretty. His PPG are though!! And that's what matters! We get trophies for that! Wait, do we?

It's a weird thing that people think JGIII and Buddy, are just gonna keep improving, but Goodine, eh, we've seen enough. Not a big loss. BB and JG are gonna gel! We're good at guard.

Brown was a lightly regarded recruit who kinda came out of nowhere though. Williams was the big recruit. That’s why I brought them up...Girard was the lightly regarded recruit and Goodine was the bigger recruit at the same position.

We already knew Buddy was going to be the two guard. Goodine was supposed to be a PG - or at least a combo guard who could play point. I would say that right now, he’s not that. I think Girard took his spot more than anything. And perhaps Kadary is better and BG knows it?

Lets add up all the coaches that have had 40+ yrs of solid play with no slip ups at all. And do it at a school like SU which is even harder.

I dont think being top 6 in the ACC in any year is really a bad yr.. All it showed was that the team was not ready at the beginning with the pieces to play those types of games in the first month. Has we won ust 2 of those games the outlook on the season completely changes and 2 of those late losses came with the best player in the ACC not on the floor
Technically 7th gt finished ahead of us. The acc was so down this year and we played a pretty easy acc schedule.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedSoxNat

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom