JB has put himself in a precarious position.... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

JB has put himself in a precarious position....

O/U 18-13 right now what are you taking?

Also you understand the reason expectations were lower this year were because next year was supposed to be a growth year from this year.

We aren’t growing next year when we lose Hughes. It will be banking on replacing him and stay the same.

We are one injury from being really bad and that is bad roster management.

I think "roster management" is a thing of the past. Everybody's going to be scraping for whatever they can get.

1584286617308.png

Between fighting for high school players, trying to keep them from reneging on their commitments, trying to get foreign players to come here, looking at grad transfers and now having to re-recruit the players you've already got each year or looking to raid other team's rosters - all while keeping under the scholarship limit, I don't think the word 'management' applies any more.

The good news for the Boeheim bashers is that this might be the thing that finally pushes the Old Man into retirement.

Brown was a lightly regarded recruit who kinda came out of nowhere though. Williams was the big recruit. That’s why I brought them up...Girard was the lightly regarded recruit and Goodine was the bigger recruit at the same position.

We already knew Buddy was going to be the two guard. Goodine was supposed to be a PG - or at least a combo guard who could play point. I would say that right now, he’s not that. I think Girard took his spot more than anything. And perhaps Kadary is better and BG knows it?

I think that's the thing with managing a rotation though.

I have no gripe with JG and how his minutes were allotted early. Things seemed dire, and he had the handle, and composure to step up. We HAD to steady the ship and it was a great move. I can't debate that.

Speaking generally of PGs, I'm not sure Goodine, nor JC, nor KJ, were ever equipped to play PG at the outset of their careers. JC was clearly an AAU guy that played fast - and relied heavily on that.**

They all should have started off the ball as much as possible. Taking on the PG duties is a tough thing for a taller, less traditional PG that is used to using speed - because at this level, that speed advantage likely diminishes as the game breaks down into more of a half court setting.

I think we handled Goodine well in that regard. Don't force him to play PG. I think we handled JC and Kaleb like morons and broke them out of the box. We kept trying to stuff square pegs into round holes until they shattered.

Goodine's progression was fine, but at some point, he needed minutes - more of them, and could provide some relief at both guard spots. Eli had to bring the ball up sometimes anyway. Also, BB was awful for the last third of the season shooting...JGIII was dreadful......Eli was horrendous.

If you break the season into thirds, in the last third Goodine shot the same as Buddy from three. Yet, somehow, his shooting in NO way warrants stealing ONE additional minute from BB...and all the other things outside of shooting he offers? Which are?:(

** Which is why when JC said of his offseason with Autry or Griff, or whomever he did his Team USA stint with, he was spending time trying to learn to play FASTER I was mildly concerned!!!! Uh, coach...you may want to talk to this kid. :)

Last edited:
I think "roster management" is a thing of the past. Everybody's going to be scraping for whatever they can get.

View attachment 178018

Between fighting for high school players, trying to keep them from reneging on their commitments, trying to get foreign players to come here, looking at grad transfers and now having to re-recruit the players you've already got each year or looking to raid other team's rosters - all while keeping under the scholarship limit, I don't think the word 'management' applies any more.

The good news for the Boeheim bashers is that this might be the thing that finally pushes the Old Man into retirement.
Boeheim being 75 would more of a reason than anything else.

I trust that Boeheim suspected this situation was a possibility and has had a plan in place

I trust that Boeheim suspected this situation was a possibility and has had a plan in place

I feel like I know the plan already!!! We have a blueprint!

Care to elaborate?

Just a joke - I think he's already allotted AT LEAST 120 of the 200 minutes each game to certain players. :) Center position should be interesting though!

No, we'll see how SF shakes out after transfers, etc...

I think that's the thing with managing a rotation though.

I have no gripe with JG and how his minutes were allotted early. Things seemed dire, and he had the handle, and composure to step up. We HAD to steady the ship and it was a great move. I can't debate that.

Speaking generally of PGs, I'm not sure Goodine, nor JC, nor KJ, were ever equipped to play PG at the outset of their careers. JC was clearly an AAU guy that played fast - and relied heavily on that.

They all should have started off the ball as much as possible. Taking on the PG duties is a tough thing for a taller, less traditional PG that is used to using speed - because at this level, that speed advantage likely diminishes as the game breaks down into more of a half court setting.

I think we handled Goodine well in that regard. Don't force him to play PG. I think we handled JC and Kaleb like morons and broke them out of the box. We kept trying to stuff square pegs into round holes until they shattered.

Goodine's progression was fine, but at some point, he needed minutes - more of them, and could provide some relief at both guard spots. Eli had to bring the ball up sometimes anyway. Also, BB was awful for the last third of the season shooting...JGIII was dreadful...Eli was horrendous.

If you break the season into thirds, in the last third Goodine shot the same as Buddy from three. Yet, somehow, his shooting in NO way warrants stealing ONE additional minute from BB...and all the other things outside of shooting he offers? Which are?:(
Really good post - fair to both sides of this argument about Goodine's development and playing time. It almost has no place on a message board like this!

SWC- I know you are a stats guy - can I get some stats on the talent in that video?

I'd guess the other lady is similar.

I'd guess the other lady is similar.

Impressive. Didn't know they were store bought.

75 + having to deal with all this sh-t.
He gets paid very well. We all have to put up with chit at our jobs and don't get paid nearly as well.

75 + having to deal with all this sh-t.

Which was his choice really. He could of stuck with the original plan, which would mean he’d be happily retired at this point.

The theme of college basketball nowadays is "one mans trash is another mans treasure". This will be the biggest year ever for transfers. Lets see if we can find the missing pieces of the puzzle.

The theme of college basketball nowadays is "one mans trash is another mans treasure". This will be the biggest year ever for transfers. Lets see if we can find the missing pieces of the puzzle.
I want to find the equivalent of DJ LeMahieu.

My biggest worry about these transfers is how limited our options to replace them are this late in the cycle.

if Jimmy Boeheim ends up doing a grad year here he would be better than any of them

Actually a great idea if he can shoot it like Buddy. That type of player is best in a 6th man role but Buddy doesn't have that role. If you can have 2 of them even better.

My biggest worry about these transfers is how limited our options to replace them are this late in the cycle.

if Jimmy Boeheim ends up doing a grad year here he would be better than any of them
Our defense would go from bad to horrible with Jimmy playing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedSoxNat

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom