JB: I think we'll look to bring in someone else (another recruit)... | Syracusefan.com

JB: I think we'll look to bring in someone else (another recruit)...

iommi

Living Legend
In JB's post-game presser, he said, "I like the three guys we have commitments from. I think we'll look to bring in someone else." This bothers me. Does this literally mean the staff only is targeting just one more player (presumably a guard)? Before we got Washington, JB was saying we'd try to bring in a couple more players. If Lydon doesn't come back, we will have 4 spots open, I believe. Is this JB being JB or what the heck? Are we planning on playing with a roster of 9 scholarship kids?

It's getting surreal with how odd our recruiting "plan" has become. I could've put this on the recruiting board but figured since it was in the presser and it struck me as very important, I'd put it here. If it needs to get moved, so be it but I'm looking forward to feedback. SMH.

Last edited:
In JB's post-game presser, he said, "I like the three guys we have commitments from. I think we'll look to bring in someone else." This bothers me. Does this literally mean the staff only is targeting just one more player (presumably a guard)? Before we got Washington, JB was saying we'd try to bring in a couple more players. If Lydon doesn't come back, we will have 4 spots open, I believe. If this JB being JB or what the heck? Are we planning on playing with a roster of 9 scholarship kids?

It's getting surreal with how odd our recruiting "plan" has become. I could've put this on the recruiting board but figured since it was in the presser and it struck me as very important, I'd put it here. It it needs to get moved, so be it but I'm looking forward to feedback. SMH.

Has JB seen these guys play? Is this like pre-season where he said we had our best team ever? I mean, I'm sure he watches tape like we do, but has seen them all up close much?

I like our plan of attack - it's like we're totally just winging it and hoping things fall into place.

In JB's post-game presser, he said, "I like the three guys we have commitments from. I think we'll look to bring in someone else." This bothers me. Does this literally mean the staff only is targeting just one more player (presumably a guard)? Before we got Washington, JB was saying we'd try to bring in a couple more players. If Lydon doesn't come back, we will have 4 spots open, I believe. If this JB being JB or what the heck? Are we planning on playing with a roster of 9 scholarship kids?

It's getting surreal with how odd our recruiting "plan" has become. I could've put this on the recruiting board but figured since it was in the presser and it struck me as very important, I'd put it here. It it needs to get moved, so be it but I'm looking forward to feedback. SMH.

Agree about "the plan" [or potentially lack thereof], but I wouldn't bother parsing a statement made during a press conference after a loss for cosmic significance. :noidea:

I posted in another thread how I do believe that we are not going after big time recruits as much as we used to. The staff ha spossibly realized that our best path to success is recruiting and developing 4 year players.

That being said, we need more than one more commit. Does JB think if we don't use all of our scholarships that it counts towards our sanctions? (just kidding but not really) :noidea:

I wouldn't overthink that quote. I think it's more likely he misspoke when saying "someone else". No way we leave multiple schollies on unused when we could rent grad transfers.

Agree about "the plan" [or potentially lack thereof], but I wouldn't bother parsing a statement made during a press conference after a loss for cosmic significance. :noidea:

I'm not parsing anything. He said we are looking to bring in two more guys before we got HW, now he said we will try to get one more. So he didn't mean either statement in a literal way? Maybe, but he repeatedly said the couple more guys thing, now we get Washington and he said, "one more." If that is the goal, wow.

I'll leave my expectations for next year in the 2017/2018 winning iggy.

I'm not parsing anything. He said we are looking to bring in two more guys before we got HW, now he said we will try to get one more. So he didn't mean either statement in a literal way? Maybe, but he repeatedly said the couple more guys thing, now we get Washington and he said, "one more." If that is the goal, wow.
Maybe he meant freshman recruits and was not including 5th year transfers ? I have no idea what he meant. Just seems silly to not use available scholarships.

Well I think that's all we know for sure, right? We don't know who is coming back. It would be great if Tyus comes back. I like the guys we have coming in too but I think we need to recruit another guard or a 2/3 who can shoot.

I'm not even sure if Chukwu will be "ready" ever.

I posted in another thread how I do believe that we are not going after big time recruits as much as we used to. The staff ha spossibly realized that our best path to success is recruiting and developing 4 year players.

That being said, we need done than one more commit. Does JB think if we don't use all of our scholarships that it counts towards our sanctions? (just kidding but not really) :noidea:

They seemed to have targeted big time recruits this year and just whiffed on all of them for whatever reason. Last year at this time we were salivating at the monster class we would bring in with all the spots we'd have. Instead on paper it looks like we have a 'high level' MAC class coming in. It's disturbing -- there is no way to spin it.

That being said, we need more than one more commit. Does JB think if we don't use all of our scholarships that it counts towards our sanctions? (just kidding but not really) :noidea:

Thats a good idea, developing 4 year players. Do we have the staff that can do this successfully? I have my doubts.

It's getting surreal with how odd our recruiting "plan" has become. I could've put this on the recruiting board but figured since it was in the presser and it struck me as very important, I'd put it here. If it needs to get moved, so be it but I'm looking forward to feedback. SMH.
I can't take it any more. What does SMH mean?

I wouldn't overthink that quote. I think it's more likely he misspoke when saying "someone else". No way we leave multiple schollies on unused when we could rent grad transfers.

That's certainly my hope but he keeps repeating the same thing.

I think this one falls under the long list of "Boeheim says things."

Apart from that, I agree with your concerns.

Maybe they think they can go strong on the 2018 class and plan to just get by with the minimum number of players next year.

Hard to fathom, but we played with a short roster this year.

Maybe they think they can go strong on the 2018 class and plan to just get by with the minimum number of players next year.

Hard to fathom, but we played with a short roster this year.

If that means JB doesn't leave the cupboard bare for Hop in 18-19, cool. But it wouldn't hurt Jimmy to hit the recruiting trails once in a while.

God made vodka for times like this

giphy.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom