JB is the man. But let's rank your choice of potential successors | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

JB is the man. But let's rank your choice of potential successors

Langel‘s current system is having shooters all over the floor. I’m sure he finds it difficult to recruit good bigs to Colgate, that’s why he has all the three point shooting. That might change at a bigger program.

Langel's current system or " The modern day game of basketball"

Langel's current system or " The modern day game of basketball"
They actually aren’t even in the top 50 in 3pt attempts per game. So they aren’t just a heave 3’s team.

But they are number one in 3pt FG%. They are number three in assist per game. Number two in assist to TO ratio. Number two in Effective FG%. Ranked 20th in least amount of turnovers.

Sounds refreshing doesn’t it? A very sound fundamental offensive unit. Takes care of the ball. Passes and can knock down shots at an elite clip.

Now imagine getting guys that can do all that plus has the athleticism and length of an ACC player. Sounds pretty dang awesome if I say so myself.

They actually aren’t even in the top 50 in 3pt attempts per game. So they aren’t just a heave 3’s team.

But they are number one in 3pt FG%. They are number three in assist per game. Number two in assist to TO ratio. Number two in Effective FG%. Ranked 20th in least amount of turnovers.

Sounds refreshing doesn’t it? A very sound fundamental offensive unit. Takes care of the ball. Passes and can knock down shots at an elite clip.

Now imagine getting guys that can do all that plus has the athleticism and length of an ACC player. Sounds pretty dang awesome if I say so myself.
Where are the defensively?

Where are the defensively?
Probably not that great. But I’ll take a look starting in 17/18 when Colgate finally started to make the turn into a good team.

Year - Points given up (Rank)

17/18 - 70.2 (109)
18/19 - 70.2 (143)
19/20 - 68.1 (143)
20/21 - 69.6 (157)
21/22 - 67.1 (111)
22/23 - 69.1 (149)

Actually much better than I thought. Let’s take a look at our defense in the same time period for context.

17/18 - 63.8 (10)
18/19 - 66.1 (43)
19/20 - 69.2 (174)
20/21 - 70.1 (177)
21/22 - 75.1 (314)
22/23 - 73.1 (271)

Very refreshing.

Not sure what JB thread this goes in - listening to John Feinstein doing his Friday morning hit. Said he's working on a column on JB (probably next week) and his point is going to be that JB should call his shot on when he wants to go.

Rick Pitino ...5 yr deal with him grooming a successor ...would be the talk of College basketball..think of the fan excitement! recruits would walk here to play for a successful former college and NBA coach...current players would stay ...tough m to m defense...full court pressure...play 10 guys ...Like the good old days!

Why in the world would Nate Oats move from Alabama to Syracuse? Why is he even on people's list?
I don’t disagree that it’s unlikely he leaves Alabama. But there are big differences between the programs, a number of which favor SU. It’s frustrating to see the all-around negativity from our fans about the program.

I don’t disagree that it’s unlikely he leaves Alabama. But there are big differences between the programs, a number of which favor SU. It’s frustrating to see the all-around negativity from our fans about the program.
Agree. People seem to think because we have had a string of down years that somehow we aren’t a basketball powerhouse anymore.
We have a strong history of success that surpasses most every team in the NCAA. We have a venue that holds more fans than any place in the NCAA. We have a beautiful facility with first ballot HOF Carmelo Anthony’s name on it. We have tons of NBA success stories from former players. We should all know this stuff and acknowledge it.

Our coaching position is one of the top jobs in the NCAA. It’s not even up for discussion.

It’s the same negativity when people talk about the region. Miserableness is bred in people here.

There’s no harm to reaching out to him, or Miller or f@&$ even Brad Stevens. The worst that happens is that they say no.

And the sooner they say no, the sooner we court Matt Langel ;)

There’s no harm to reaching out to him, or Miller or f@&$ even Brad Stevens. The worst that happens is that they say no.

And the sooner they say no, the sooner we court Matt Langel ;)
I highly doubt those contacts are direct phone calls from JW. There is active networking in both directions. I’m certain JW has a list of who might be interested at any moment in time - should he need that type of list.

I highly doubt those contacts are direct phone calls from JW. There is active networking in both directions. I’m certain JW has a list of who might be interested at any moment in time - should he need that type of list.

I mean, I didn’t mean that John Wildhack was personally calling Brad Stevens on his cell phone asking him if he’d like to the the head coach…I know agents and intermediaries are involved, I was just simplifying things.

And by “intermediaries” I mean Cuserunner.

I mean, I didn’t mean that John Wildhack was personally calling Brad Stevens on his cell phone asking him if he’d like to the the head coach…I know agents and intermediaries are involved, I was just simplifying things.

Ha! I shouldn’t have picked your post to make that reply to. My bad.

And who knew Cuserunner was that connected.

It's amazing who you can meet when purchasing box wine.

Internal: I like what I've heard from GMAC on his interviews. Passionate, analytical, a sense of humor, bleeds orange. It would look bad to pick him over two black guys of greater experience but Red and Allen put me to sleep.

External: Langel. If you can't beat 'em, hire 'em.
Good post, and I agree with you, but I also don't want GMac.

GMAC was impressive at the watch party tonight.
Those who say things like “he doesn’t have the charisma” must really need some over the top dick and fart jokes to be amused by or something.

GMac has always been hilarious, and is obviously a top notch b-ball guy.

He needs to go kill it somewhere else and then come back here when it’s open in 5-10 years.

Not sure what JB thread this goes in - listening to John Feinstein doing his Friday morning hit. Said he's working on a column on JB (probably next week) and his point is going to be that JB should call his shot on when he wants to go.

And be the poster boy for hanging on too long and out do all the other coaches associated with that (Paterno, Bowden etc.) Make people think of that about JB before they think of things like the zone or 2003 title?

Its the absolute perfect time to move on. Nova is down they're the program that benefitted the most from our decline. UNC and Dukes new coaches aren't established. League is not going to get that many bids and a couple programs that have been MUCH better than us recently have fallen off a cliff in FSU and Louisville.

You just couldn't ask for a better year to make a change and give someone a chance with relatively low expectations from the fanbase. There will never be a better year to hire a new coach than now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom