JB is the man. But let's rank your choice of potential successors | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

JB is the man. But let's rank your choice of potential successors

Ive been digging deep on coaches that i actually think would take the SU job and i keep coming back to the same coach.
Its Langel from Colgate.
I think that he checks every possible box and its not even close. Again im talking reality. Coaches SU can land.
Here are some highlights.
1: He was a heck of a player. Really good
2: Hes extremely intelligent. Wharton grad.
3: Made his bones under Fran at Temple who was a heck of a coach.
4: Great recruiting connections in our best and most important recruiting areas.
5: Amazing actually spectacular success at Gate
6: By all accounts loves the area and would most likely stay for a very long time. SU would his destination job.
7: Class act .
If im JW hes my guy.

If it were to be Langel we’d be a long ways away. He needs a lot of shooters which we don’t have right now.

I personally wouldn't hire a coach based on the current players strengths/weaknesses.

And I said we’d be a long ways away.

I am not sure if Langel has enough juice on the recruiting trail. That is the reason why I wouldn't pick him. I think we need someone who is able to get out there and battle the blue bloods for recruits and IMO Langel will not be that guy. I mirror what Bees said on this one. It would be a slow slow build and I doubt anyone following JB will be given a long leash like that.

IMO he would struggle to bring in the talent that can compete at the ACC level and be fired in 3-4 years.

If it were to be Langel we’d be a long ways away. He needs a lot of shooters which we don’t have right now.
Transfer portal? We are acting like we can't build an entire team thru it.

Transfer portal? We are acting like we can't build an entire team thru it.

You can’t. You think 9-10 portal kids are all gonna go to the same school? Kids done portal to be a back up. And we aren’t losing every player.

I like how all these Catholic schools, Iona and Gtown (rumors of course), can forgive all his transgressions but high and mighty and self-righteous SYR media types and fans want no part of Pitino. Who are we to point fingers? If we can get him and he wants to come here, I'm all for it.
I am not anti Pitino for his transgressions, but because of his age, there is no future benefit to the hire.

Everyone is going to go to the portal. If you think SU can just pick and choose who they want, you’re mistaken. I think fans may be very disappointed with who SU might be able to get in the portal. Recruiting is recruiting and we haven’t been very good lately.

You can’t. You think 9-10 portal kids are all gonna go to the same school? Kids done portal to be a back up. And we aren’t losing every player.
SH built added like 6 transfers last offseason and they don’t have NIL (Halloway has said numerous times this year that they need NIL for recruiting).

Not every transfer is going to start, there are more transfers than open starting spots.

Why would we go with Pitino? We’d go from a 78 year old to a 70 year old? We need new fresh blood in this program.
It's not the age of the blood in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

Don't need 9-10, just 3-4 kids who want minutes in front of 20k fans and some NIL opportunity. And a coach who isn't expecting them to buy into some overly complicated defense that takes 3 years to learn.

The rebuild is only difficult if there aren't resources and motivation behind it.

If Kansas State and Iowa State can build a team after changing their coach in one year so can Syracuse.

Yes you can. But I’m talking specific to Langel. He needs a lot of 3 pt shooters. I think Colgate has about 5 real good ones. That makes it a bit tougher. Unless he’s a coach that doesn’t have to run that kind of offense to be successful.

Langel would be a great choice aslong as he’s surrounded by great recruiters. Syracuse would have to pay some name assistants some pretty big money but it would be worth it.
HC- Langel
AHC- Gmac
AC- Mike Mennenga(Oregon)
AC- DJ Irving(Miami)

Langel great x and o’s guy
Gmac- recruiting continuity and familiarity
Mike- probly the best Canadian recruiter out there
DJ- Team final and Pennsylvania connections

Langel would be a great choice aslong as he’s surrounded by great recruiters. Syracuse would have to pay some name assistants some pretty big money but it would be worth it.
HC- Langel
AHC- Gmac
AC- Mike Mennenga(Oregon)
AC- DJ Irving(Miami)

Langel great x and o’s guy
Gmac- recruiting continuity and familiarity
Mike- probly the best Canadian recruiter out there
DJ- Team final and Pennsylvania connections

Knows the area, can drive in snow. Helpful.

And a coach who isn't expecting them to buy into some overly complicated defense that takes 3 years to learn.
JB to portal recruit convincing them to play the 2-3:

"When they're having a cold shooting day there's nothing like it in college basketball. Now some teams will be very efficient, and when there are breakdowns I need a fall guy. I'm going to yell at one of you. There may not be a rhyme or reason for who I pick, it's just business. Not personal."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom