JB is the man. But let's rank your choice of potential successors | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

JB is the man. But let's rank your choice of potential successors

Someone that has
* done the job elsewhere, with earned success, i.e. they had to build something up that was either failed or has no history
* is an excellent recruiter (what makes an excellent recruiter, I do not know)
* is clean, as clean as can be in the DI world
* is solid at the Xs & Os
* is young & hungry
* ideally has some primary connection to the North East, with secondary national connections
* will respect what JB has accomplished, while being unhindered in creating something entirely new

Jay Wright is the model coach.
The recent success at Baylor is a model program.

Somebody who had like 1 miracle tournament run 10 years ago, but has been mediocre since then is not.

Langel is the new Oats upstate IMO. It’s not like Oats recruited anyone at the P6 level before he went to Alabama. If it was not for Covid we are looking at 5 years in a row where Langel has had them in the tournament. He’s been better than us at Colgate. Good enough for me.

Langel‘s current system is having shooters all over the floor. I’m sure he finds it difficult to recruit good bigs to Colgate, that’s why he has all the three point shooting. That might change at a bigger program.

My list based on rebuilding the program:

1) Nate Oats
2) Ed Cooley
3) Scott Drew
4) Greg McDermott
5) Shaka Smart

We should all hope this is the route because if rumors are true that su is trying to push out weitsman then we are going to need a big hire coach to get big recruits back. Clearly 1 million won’t even get us a 5 star recruit Anymore. The bottom hasn’t dropped yet!
SU isn’t trying to “push out” Weitsman. Good lord.

Why would we go with Pitino? We’d go from a 78 year old to a 70 year old? We need new fresh blood in this program.
Pitino has a good 5-6 years in him. He knows how to turn programs around—fast. We need to get our juice back and then his successor would be handed off a program that’s in much better health.

I know that whomever they hire is going to upset some contingent of fans. Shrug.

I think I'm basically the "anyone but Gmac" and that's only because 1) he'd be jumping the line and 2) I'd like to see him get some seasoning with his own program somewhere. Like I posted before, the Iona and Colgate jobs will likely be opening up (whether we hire Langel or not, I think he's going to get an offer from a bigger school).

Langel would be great if the job entailed just coaching. This job is a massive operation. Coaching is just a part of it. Running the Syracuse basketball program has become a bit bigger.

I prefer a coach who has worked at a major school for sure. I feel like Langel could be eaten up by this gig if the results are not great out of the gates

Langel would be great if the job entailed just coaching. This job is a massive operation. Coaching is just a part of it. Running the Syracuse basketball program has become a bit bigger.

I prefer a coach who has worked at a major school for sure. I feel like Langel could be eaten up by this gig if the results are not great out of the gates
I don't know how charismatic he is, but think you could get some idea in an interview. I'd call the top pie-in-the sky options like jay Wright, Brad Stevens-Make them say no. And if they do, broaden the search to guys like Langel, Smart etc.

I don't know how charismatic he is, but think you could get some idea in an interview. I'd call the top pie-in-the sky options like jay Wright, Brad Stevens-Make them say no. And if they do, broaden the search to guys like Langel, Smart etc.

"Hello Brad? Yeah this is John Wildhack with Syracu... hello?"

Shaka would have to be in consideration. He has built a phenomenal Marquette team this year -- they play the kind of offense we have long dreamed of.

He has worked for a top bball program. Plus hes a wharton grad i think he can handle it.

I was told by a basketball manager on the team that Red was promised the program in the past. Not sure if that has held up

JB's tenure has been extraordinary, and there will probably never be anyone like him again in the sport. None of us are happy with the way things are at present, but we have plenty of other threads about that. Instead of rehashing all of our frustrations, let's discuss some of the positive qualities of other potential coaches. I haven't been following things this year as closely as usual, but these names have captured my attention.

• Ben McCollum (NW Missouri State) looks like the Lance Leipold of NCAAMbball.
  • Greg Paulus (Niagara) likely needs no introduction here.
  • Sean Miller (Xavier) results speak for themselves; a lot of wild claims being made here against him that go well beyond the public story and conclusions (at least thus far) of law enforcement.
  • Jason Hart (G League Unite) SU alumnus that knows the current landscape as well as anyone, but can he coach and recruit at a national level?
  • Matt Langel (Colgate) Runs a winning program over in Hamilton and has... experience... boatracing P5 in-state rivals.
My top choice here would be Sean Miller based on experience and results (and pending any fallout from previous shenanigans), but pair any of the other guys with a top recruiter and I think the (near) future will be very bright.

Internal: I like what I've heard from GMAC on his interviews. Passionate, analytical, a sense of humor, bleeds orange. It would look bad to pick him over two black guys of greater experience but Red and Allen put me to sleep.

External: Langel. If you can't beat 'em, hire 'em.

Langel‘s current system is having shooters all over the floor. I’m sure he finds it difficult to recruit good bigs to Colgate, that’s why he has all the three point shooting. That might change at a bigger program.
A coach that adjusts his scheme to fit his players and the game situation?? That would be a refreshing change

Why in the world would Nate Oats move from Alabama to Syracuse? Why is he even on people's list?

I am not sure if Langel has enough juice on the recruiting trail. That is the reason why I wouldn't pick him. I think we need someone who is able to get out there and battle the blue bloods for recruits and IMO Langel will not be that guy. I mirror what Bees said on this one. It would be a slow slow build and I doubt anyone following JB will be given a long leash like that.

IMO he would struggle to bring in the talent that can compete at the ACC level and be fired in 3-4 years.

Disagree. Great coach. How much juice would you have on the recruiting trail if you were the coach at Colgate? Nobody has any idea how Langel would recruit at Syracuse but he certainly knows all the major players throughout the Northeast, he's at the right stores, just shopping in a different aisle right now.

Going from selling flip phones to Iphone 14. You still know the business just selling a much better product.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom