JB is the man. But let's rank your choice of potential successors | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

JB is the man. But let's rank your choice of potential successors

Fair enough. Joe Mihalich took them to the tournament twice and won the regular season title 3 times though earlier last decade.
A lots changed though, anyone on the roster worth anything leave since the transfer rules. I get it though.

JB's tenure has been extraordinary, and there will probably never be anyone like him again in the sport. None of us are happy with the way things are at present, but we have plenty of other threads about that. Instead of rehashing all of our frustrations, let's discuss some of the positive qualities of other potential coaches. I haven't been following things this year as closely as usual, but these names have captured my attention.

• Ben McCollum (NW Missouri State) looks like the Lance Leipold of NCAAMbball.
  • Greg Paulus (Niagara) likely needs no introduction here.
  • Sean Miller (Xavier) results speak for themselves; a lot of wild claims being made here against him that go well beyond the public story and conclusions (at least thus far) of law enforcement.
  • Jason Hart (G League Unite) SU alumnus that knows the current landscape as well as anyone, but can he coach and recruit at a national level?
  • Matt Langel (Colgate) Runs a winning program over in Hamilton and has... experience... boatracing P5 in-state rivals.
My top choice here would be Sean Miller based on experience and results (and pending any fallout from previous shenanigans), but pair any of the other guys with a top recruiter and I think the (near) future will be very bright.
Alright, alright, I'll do it, stop begging!

This is weird to me because outside of being a nice guy I'm not sure what else Dino is adding to football program excitement. His game management drives me nuts.
And he was sold to the fan base as someone that was at least an offensive guru - but he's obviously not.

TBH I know I have said the name alot but if Sean Miller isn't at the top of everyones list of realistic options or at least top 2 then you aren't serious about getting Syracuse back to an elite level. Of every name being thrown out that is realistic he would be by far the biggest slam dunk hire.

There could be people you "like" better on a personal level as I know alot of people on the board have great relationships with Hop, Red, and GMac but they are no were near the level of coach and recruiter Sean Miller is. It hurts but those are just facts.

Definitely the biggest reach of the group, but I keep hearing his name on this board and elsewhere. I'm intrigued.
Paulus is about .500 in the MAAC. Niagara is a tough place to thrive but look at what Ben McCollum had done at NW Missouri. He has won, and won big, at a place that is not exactly a hotbed of Bball, and is not exactly in a place that is an exciting place for recruits to go. His defensive numbers are fantastic year after year.
I didn't even know about him until another poster mentioned him a few days ago. But if you read up on him, you can't help but be very impressed.

I don't have a name to throw out there to chew on but certainly think Miller would drive ticket sales and some excitement. I also think some are underestimating our AD and what he would be willing to do. I don't think he is dropping 6 million on anyone but I would bet he will be willing to put some nice money on the table for the right guy. If we end up going in house give me Red and some new coaches on the bench. Nothing personal to Grif and GMAC but this is a reboot and new blood has to come in from somewhere to change the culture, rules and energy.

TBH I know I have said the name alot but if Sean Miller isn't at the top of everyones list of realistic options or at least top 2 then you aren't serious about getting Syracuse back to an elite level. Of every name being thrown out that is realistic he would be by far the biggest slam dunk hire.

There could be people you "like" better on a personal level as I know alot of people on the board have great relationships with Hop, Red, and GMac but they are no were near the level of coach and recruiter Sean Miller is. It hurts but those are just facts.
My only reservation with Miller is his past illegal activities. He was caught discussing payouts for a certain recruit. I guess that is not an issue anymore? I realize we stuck with JB after a few violations but I wonder if any of that matters anymore. Would Wildhack even care?

My only reservation with Miller is his past illegal activities. He was caught discussing payouts for a certain recruit. I guess that is not an issue anymore? I realize we stuck with JB after a few violations but I wonder if any of that matters anymore. Would Wildhack even care?

Its funny now I see that as a bonus now LOL. He has made contacts that were probably illegally a couple of years ago that will probably help him now that it is legal. Most top top top level coaches come with some sort of baggage at this stage including JB. In today's game this wouldn't even be a problem which is why I wouldn't hold it against him and actual would push for him.

JB's tenure has been extraordinary, and there will probably never be anyone like him again in the sport. None of us are happy with the way things are at present, but we have plenty of other threads about that. Instead of rehashing all of our frustrations, let's discuss some of the positive qualities of other potential coaches. I haven't been following things this year as closely as usual, but these names have captured my attention.

• Ben McCollum (NW Missouri State) looks like the Lance Leipold of NCAAMbball.
  • Greg Paulus (Niagara) likely needs no introduction here.
  • Sean Miller (Xavier) results speak for themselves; a lot of wild claims being made here against him that go well beyond the public story and conclusions (at least thus far) of law enforcement.
  • Jason Hart (G League Unite) SU alumnus that knows the current landscape as well as anyone, but can he coach and recruit at a national level?
  • Matt Langel (Colgate) Runs a winning program over in Hamilton and has... experience... boatracing P5 in-state rivals.
My top choice here would be Sean Miller based on experience and results (and pending any fallout from previous shenanigans), but pair any of the other guys with a top recruiter and I think the (near) future will be very bright.

McCollum don’t know enough about him.

Paulus nope.

Miller nope. Here’s one of a 100 public stories you say are out there. https://www.si.com/.amp/college/202...stant-coaches-took-fall-sean-miller-ncaa-iarp

Hart hell yea and he showed he could recruit at USC although it was west coast.

Langel maybe

Said in another thread I think Wes Miller from Cincinnati would deserve a look. That being said, I just have a hunch we'll stick with a current assistant on the staff.

(For the love of me I can’t figure out why I am back, and posting again).

1st calls - Jay Wright, Brad Stevens, Billy Donovan. I think that is a massive mistake if you don’t at least pick up the phone and call these 3 coaches. Worst case and most likely they say no. But you just don’t know until they say thank you, but no. And then you can go on with your search. But those three individuals need to be the first 3 phone calls you make. Again, I understand there is probably a less than 5% chance either would be intrigued. But gauging interest literally does nothing negative to Syracuse. They at least need to receive a phone call. Jay could be regretting his decision now that he had a year off. Brad wants to coach. I know that for a fact. He doesn’t just like being the president (this is not opinion). Billy Donovan very well could be fired after this year.

2nd calls- Oats and Beard. These 2 are a little more controversial. Oats just signed a contract extension and the issues this past week probably crosses him off the list. Beard charges were dropped and currently is a “free agent”. We don’t know what happened there. No one knows what happened except for him and his girlfriend. I think you still have to call and have a sit down with him. Discuss the situation and talk to him about his personal well being and outlook. Things happen, and as much as everyone wants to believe they know what happened, they do not.

3rd calls - Eric Musslaman. Guy has been incredible wherever he has gone. Turns teams around quickly and has very good success in March. I think Syracuse is a much better place than Arkansas. 202-71, only 2 seasons with double digit losses and both were in his first years at Utah state and Arkansas respectively. Just brought in the number 2 recruiting class to Arkansas. Made the elite 8 2 years in a row.

After those 3 calls, I think you then look around at the individuals with Syracuse connections such as Hart, Paulus, Red, Hopkins, Langley (same area). I don’t want a current assistant. My order of preference is Hart, Langley, Paulus, Hop, Red in that order. Hopkins has not been good. But he also left his recruiting connections and moved to the polar opposite coast.

In no particular order these are the guys I Interview for the job that are somewhat realistic in my opinion.

Matt Langel - Colgate HC
John Becker - Vermont HC
Mike Hopkins - Washington HC
Red Autry - Syracuse Asst
Brian Dutcher - SDSU HC
Pat Kelsey - Charleston HC
Grant McCasland - North Texas HC
Ed Cooley - Providence HC
Chris Beard - Former Texas HC
Bryan Hodgson - Alabama Asst
Jason Hart - GLeague Ignite HC

Also gauge the interest of any NBA guys.

I don't know if recruiting, i.e., selling a recruit on the program, is as important as roster management and talent evaluations. NIL changes the calculus tremendously.

Agree. Get a smart strategist and evaluator in here and let the money do the rest. You don't need to pay for a big name IMO. It's like NBA coaching increasingly.

I think he would bring some excitement with bigger name recruits. But he had a ton of huge recruits at Zona but what did he do with them? Never got past Elite 8. Now I would love an Elite 8 but JB went further with less talent. Miller also has two first round exits one by Wichita State and one blowout by Buffalo.
I think the new guy there Lloyd is doing just as good as Miller. His last 3 years at Zona was not good.

With that being said I don’t think Wildhack touches him with a ten foot pole. Just my opinion. Don’t mean to burst your bromance bubble.

McCollum don’t know enough about him.

Paulus nope.

Miller nope. Here’s one of a 100 public stories you say are out there. https://www.si.com/.amp/college/202...stant-coaches-took-fall-sean-miller-ncaa-iarp

Hart hell yea and he showed he could recruit at USC although it was west coast.

Langel maybe
Frankly, I think the Miller stuff is WAY overblown. Some of us here are probably aware of dirtier deeds at other institutions. That doesn't make it right, but as some folks noted on social media after JB's commentary on buying players, that is NOT an area we probably want to examine too closely ourselves. For better or worse, things have changed on that issue.

Jason Hart is probably the best choice among the alumni, and I'd be pretty excited to see what he can do. Might even retain a good portion of the current staff, if they'd be willing to stay on. Perhaps the best of all worlds.

Are we putting people that actually could get the job? If so my list is below:

Red Autry: Currently on staff and will be getting the job.
Mike Hopkins: Former assistant who is about to lose his job. So no buyout.
G-Mac: Currently on staff and will get the job if the top 2 people say no.
If they give it to Red they will get 2 more years of the same and then begin a national search. I love Red but I don't see him as HC material, not at this level. Why waste 2 more years?
They should get Sean Miller if they want to get the program back to top 25 status and certain NCAA bid every year. But it's 99% they won't go that route.

Agree. Get a smart strategist and evaluator in here and let the money do the rest. You don't need to pay for a big name IMO. It's like NBA coaching increasingly.
What money? Adam Weitsman's?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom