JB may coach till he’s 80 | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

JB may coach till he’s 80

That would take 87 + whatever deficit he has this year. The above post projected 18 win seasons so that would be five years beyond the coming season. And, of course, it would not recognized as the record unless the NCAA returns the 101 wins to him.

I didn’t mean a total of 3-4 more years coaching, nor did I mean he would only ever win 18 games in a season. I meant 3-4 years MORE than he otherwise would coach and in those years only would he top out at 18 wins.

It’s a hypothetical to ask whether people would put up with a pretty good duration of crappy seasons to get that record for the program.

Could be he wants to catch up to Coach K in wins!
I was thinking the same thing as soon as I heard that coach K was retiring . I think his ego will not allow him to retire until he is pushed out like desko was. Of course this is only my opinion but we shall see how things go
As of Right now boeheim seems to have the mental capacity to keep coaching and as of now I am cool with it but I do not want to see a Bobby Bowden type situation happen here!!

1. JB can say he doesn’t care about the wins and records blah blah. No one cares more than that stuff then JB
2. He has to adapt to modern age a little bit. His refusal to certain items hurt in recruiting and there is no doubt about that
3. He’s still an insane competitor (in a good way) and loves to win
4. He has earned the right to go out when he wants to, even though things are not where they once were
5. I never thought this fan base/ us would be rooting for an 80 year old coach like the bowdens of the world and all these old dudes, but guess that’s what we are left with

the ‘22 class will be so important to JB and I cannot say that enough

1. JB can say he doesn’t care about the wins and records blah blah. No one cares more than that stuff then JB
2. He has to adapt to modern age a little bit. His refusal to certain items hurt in recruiting and there is no doubt about that
3. He’s still an insane competitor (in a good way) and loves to win
4. He has earned the right to go out when he wants to, even though things are not where they once were
5. I never thought this fan base/ us would be rooting for an 80 year old coach like the bowdens of the world and all these old dudes, but guess that’s what we are left with

the ‘22 class will be so important to JB and I cannot say that enough
Caring about winning and caring about wins are two different things. He certainly wants to win every game he coaches, (and every game he plays, from reports). that doesn't mean that he will extend his career just to get a record for the number of wins. Especially from a friend to whom he will lose all comparisons anyway.

Last edited:
That would take 87 + whatever deficit he has this year. The above post projected 18 win seasons so that would be five years beyond the coming season. And, of course, it would not recognized as the record unless the NCAA returns the 101 wins to him.
That looks like 4 additional years onto this year (we usually get at least 20 per). Especially if we can get the kind of "deficit" we had last year.

He can get there and it’s 4 years if the program is where it should be.

Having a big ceremony to honor him for it in one of the last Dome games he coaches would be great. Huge F you to the NCAA.

Caring about winning and caring about wins are two different things. He certainly wants to win every game he coaches, (and every game he plays, from reports). that doesn't mean that he will extend his career just to get a record for the number of wins. Especially from a friend to whom he will lose all comparisons anyway.

Why would he lose all comparisons? They didn’t play each other until both were at the very end of their careers.

A good first year after Buddy and he will get there. If the first year after Buddy isn’t a big season I think that will be time.

Why would he lose all comparisons? They didn’t play each other until both were at the very end of their careers.

A good first year after Buddy and he will get there. If the first year after Buddy isn’t a big season I think that will be time.
1 title vs. 5.

With this year's team being full of kids who are going to be all in on what he wants to do plus the '22 class looking like it could be extremely good( fingers crossed), there is definitely a realistic path for a nice run of seasons for him to close things out.

Thank you.

Well, I made it to 69 1/2 before my heart metaphorically tapped me on the shoulder. Although the cardiologist told me I was lucky to be alive, I seem to be fine now and have no restrictions on activity at all. I go to the gym daily, I did some mountain climbing in April, and of course the real test will be yelling at the TV during SU football games. That frustration can't be good for anybody.

As an aside, those alums of a certain age will recall the food trucks on campus: The Dingleman and the Wimpy Wagon. Ours were parked between Watson and Dellplain.

Not sure if these things still exist, but there was a thing called a jawbreaker. This particular insanity was a sub roll with two burgers side by side, flavored with the food truck's own combination of excess grease and exhaust fumes. A cheese jaw was two cheeseburgers. For two years I ate one between 8 and 9 almost every night. On those nights when I didn't do that, it was a bunch of pizza from The Varsity. I'm not going to say I was skinny in those days exactly but the truth is I was easily concealed behind a #2 pencil. The net result was that I felt I was bulletproof diet-wise and so I am sure a sludge of cholesterol formed in my coronary arteries in the early 1970's and said "now we play the waiting game!"
We used to call those food trucks: “Grease Wagons” back in the early 1960’s. Hey, great write-up, and hope you live to be 100.