JB Obviously Counseled Ennis | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

JB Obviously Counseled Ennis

When Dion was drafted, he famously praised JB on TV for his role in developing him as a player and man , and it's probably likely that JB advised him to jump. Can't imagine TE saying the same thing on draft night. I think that's all that was being "insinuated". I think that Team Tyler has their own contacts and sources, and instincts, and chose not to rely on a HOF coach who also happens to hang around the best of the NBA. I think that says something. We will see how he does at the combine, against Kyle Anderson and others. Wish him the best cuz it's good for my school if he does well.

Maybe you should pay attention to your own thread responses. As of now there have been 14 posts that do not show support of your "What's that say about their relationship?" comment and 29 posts that follow the hijack... There are zero, none, nada, nyet posts that seem to support your theory that there was some problem with the JB - TE relationship.
I didn't say there was a problem with their relationship. I merely posed a question. The fact is JB advised him to stay another year, and he decided not to do so. Maybe he valued other opinions more.

Agree and wish I could like this a hundred times.

To expound on Flynn, not only was he hurt, he was being coached by Kurt Rambis. A guy who was benching Kevin Love in favor of Darko Milicic. Running a triangle offense, when his personnel suggested he'd better off running a heavy pick and roll offense. Not surprising that he was relegated to ESPN talking head for a few years -- tho I believe he's an assistant somewhere now.

What I'm saying is, an underrated aspect of NBA success or "making it" is determined by which team selects you. Some guys will excel anywhere, no doubt. But for most guys, being put in a position where you will receive consistent PT in a role that suits your skill-set. That's a big part of it. Everybody that 'busts' has serious talent, but there's a myriad of reasons those guys busts. And to second guess somebody for their decision to leave, especially when they were taken early lotto seems silly.

Nice post. There is always some degree of luck that factors in as well.. Wes Johnson was just as close to Donte to being out of the league, but probably earned himself at least another year with his play this season as a starter for the Lakers. Donte may have done likewise, but got hurt. Sometimes it's about timing. I have no doubt Donte could player for the 76ers, but so could 80% of the D-League and half the players currently playing for a Top 25 team (j/k). If he gets hit shot there, maybe he ends up on the bench in Philly for the next 5 years, or maybe he's gone again at year's end. Who knows.

Obviously it's mostly about hard work, but a bit of luck could get you an extra year or two in the NBA. When you're on the margins it's a crap-shoot at times imo.

Makes sense to me Jake but Toronto won't be in the lottery with their own pick because they are top 4 seed in the East. Do they have another teams pick?
Doesn't matter. A Toronto promise guarantees Ennis goes round 1 and gets guaranteed money, that's all that really matters to him probably.

Not to mention Toronto makes sense on a number of levels.

Word is Toronto has made some type of promise to take Ennis in the first round. Hard to say no when you believe there are no risks involved.

Donte left with a similar guarantee that never materialized and jb warned him.

Feeling here is Toronto's offer seems to be more legit.

what team supposedly gave Donte that guarantee?

Makes sense to me Jake but Toronto won't be in the lottery with their own pick because they are top 4 seed in the East. Do they have another teams pick?

Toronto only has their own 1st round pick. If this story is true perhaps Toronto's conversation with Ennis is something like 'if you're still there at pick #X, we'll take you'.

I had hoped TE would stay and I thought he might play one more year at SU, but I was 50/50 at most. No surprise he decided to go pro. No doubt an extra year in college would have helped his game, but who can blame him for following the money and realizing his dream. And if he did stay at SU what happens if he blows out a knee?

One thing I know about JB is that when he decides to retire the void he leaves behind will be very difficult to fill. Very often HOF coaches leave a wake of mediocrity when the retire that sometimes takes a program years to get straightened out. No coach is perfect. JB is a HOF coach with a tremendous resume, and SU is very fortunate to have had him all these years.

Doesn't matter. A Toronto promise guarantees Ennis goes round 1 and gets guaranteed money, that's all that really matters to him probably.

Not to mention Toronto makes sense on a number of levels.

These promises mean nothing, Teams in every sport do it, and they are worthless.

When Tyler has to participate in that NBA combine where they time you running the court and measure your vertical leap, and how fast you can dribble through and around the cones IMO his draft position is going to drop some. Still comfortably mid first round but it will drop. Last year MCW moved up when he performed well in those measurements. Larkin of Miami moved down.
I'm pretty sure that if the members on this board know Ennis is slow and can't jump out of the gym, the NBA scouts do too. We're not the only ones with tv's.

What makes it so obvious? Ennis made the correct choice..He's going to be a lottery pick.

He may have made the right decision, time will tell. But I don't think he is a lock lottery pick.

I sure hope your dog never bites you. Talk about turning on someone quickly. I know we live in a "what have you done for me lately" attitude these days, but this statement is just ridiculous.
His dog wouldn't play with him if he tied a pork chop around his neck.

Maybe you should pay attention to your own thread responses. As of now there have been 14 posts that do not show support of your "What's that say about their relationship?" comment and 29 posts that follow the hijack... There are zero, none, nada, nyet posts that seem to support your theory that there was some problem with the JB - TE relationship.
So true. I'd be stunned if JB's advice wasn't to go to the NBA. Why do you assume Jimmy is so selfish-especially at this point in his career- to try to steer a kid away from the NBA millions? Getting kids to the Association is good for the program!

to stay another year, and he left anyway. What's that say about their relationship?
For what's worth a number of people watching to ties games a similar opinion of Ennis that many of you will agree or not agree. They felt that his game deteriorated once he start getting all the ink as one of top freshmen and his name was a top NBA pick. They felt instead of playing his game he wAs playing for th pros. He obviously didn't listen to JB in Dayton game and took the jump shot in stead of going to the hoop. Lot of people thought that he shot the 3 instead of going to the hoop was to be the Pitt hero once again. He was going pro no matter what anyone said . Take it for what it's worth. People also felt he won't be a top 20 pick? Hmmm

I didn't say there was a problem with their relationship. I merely posed a question. The fact is JB advised him to stay another year, and he decided not to do so. Maybe he valued other opinions more.
Well since he made the decision with this parents I guess that means he values their opinions more, but what's wrong with that? I don't; think it says anything more than that. He should pay attention to what his parents say.

to stay another year, and he left anyway. What's that say about their relationship?
Maybe you're on the wrong discussion board?

there was a good interview this morning on sportscenter with billy donovan how its best to be supportive than overly counseling. players could resent the coach if he applies too much pressure. my guess is boeheim doesn't counsel too much, as he shouldn't.

Well since he made the decision with this parents I guess that means he values their opinions more, but what's wrong with that? I don't; think it says anything more than that. He should pay attention to what his parents say.

Man, parents just don't understand.

parents-just-dont-understand-copy.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diamondmakr

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom