JB Obviously Counseled Ennis | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

JB Obviously Counseled Ennis

Nice post. There is always some degree of luck that factors in as well.. Wes Johnson was just as close to Donte to being out of the league, but probably earned himself at least another year with his play this season as a starter for the Lakers. Donte may have done likewise, but got hurt. Sometimes it's about timing. I have no doubt Donte could player for the 76ers, but so could 80% of the D-League and half the players currently playing for a Top 25 team (j/k). If he gets hit shot there, maybe he ends up on the bench in Philly for the next 5 years, or maybe he's gone again at year's end. Who knows.

Obviously it's mostly about hard work, but a bit of luck could get you an extra year or two in the NBA. When you're on the margins it's a crap-shoot at times imo.

Wes got extra chances because if work ethic that Donte never had.

So true. I'd be stunned if JB's advice wasn't to go to the NBA. Why do you assume Jimmy is so selfish-especially at this point in his career- to try to steer a kid away from the NBA millions? Getting kids to the Association is good for the program!

Disagree. Dion was ready. Tyler has lots to work on from strength, to shooting, and he has nowhere near MCW's metrics. Also, Syracuse is looking at having one PG on the roster (an incoming frosh) and limited other ballhandlers without Ennis. Kind of scary if you ask me.

Whether or not anyone cares I am going to share my thoughts on Tyler Ennis.

Ennis was a very good NCAA freshman point guard. For many of our games he was exactly the type of floor general, who rarely made mistakes that this team needed. I am glad he came to Syracuse and without being able to accurately predict the future wish he would have decided to stay another year. I do also think it is fair to criticize Ennis for handcuffing (for the lack of a better term) the offense. He rarely pushed the pace of play, even in games when we could have scored in transition and fast breaks, and even in games when our half court offense was not producing. He is the only Syracuse PG I can remember who played at this slow of a pace. Even James Theus played at a quicker pace than Ennis. In many games Ennis's (through his own will or through coaching) hindered our already anemic offense by refusing to even attempt to run. I keep coming back to the analogy of a quarterback who is a game manager. A game manager at QB plays calmly most of the time, rarely doing anything to cost a game, but also not making huge players on a regular basis. To me Ennis was a game manager PG, he did have a stretch where he made a few huge plays, but overall throughout the season he was simply steady. I think it is the lack of big mistakes that may appeal to the NBA teams.

With all of this being said, in my view he made the right choice going pro now. I never saw the top level athleticism with Ennis that all of the best NBA players display. He "changed gears" very well, but never seemed to have that top level speed or quickness. The big plays he made were memorable (ie. the Pitt shot) and these memories are fresh in the mind of the NBA scouts. I don't see how coming back another year would do anything, but harm his draft stock. I think he would end up being another Jared Sullinger, who went from top 5 to barely first round.

If Boeheim did in fact suggest that Ennis come back for another year and based on some of his quotes (hyperbole) about draft busts, I can see his point of view. However, I am not sure how another year at SU would have been a positive for Ennis. (For us a fans and the program in general, absolutely, but not for Ennis as an individual.) I could see Ennis flaming out in the NBA. We have had other high picks come from SU with much more athleticism become busts (Johnson and Flynn come to mind). I hope Ennis makes it, but I can't say I have as much faith in his NBA career as I did in MCW when he left after last season.

Be advised I typed this quickly and did not closely proof read. So if anything doesn't make sense, oh well!

What I don't get here, is most of you here profess to hate the NBA, don't watch it, yet become experts when it comes to predicting success for Syracuse kids that leave early. Flynn was drafted into a tough spot and had a lot of trouble staying healthy and personally I don't think a year will make that much difference as the NBA is willing to give at least 2-3 years for these younger guys. You can't argue with where he was drafted, right choice same with MCW and Waiters. Green is the only one that made a mistake, IMO. Waiters big year is next year but he has obviously shown flashes of brilliance, still needs maturity. My opinion only, but I think for the most part those that make it in the NBA will pretty much make it regardless of when they enter. Take Paul Harris, many were saying he was NBA ready out of 13th grade, he was 21 or something when he came to Syracuse, the fact is he was never making the NBA regardless. If he went out of high school, people would still be clamoring about how he should have went to college for 2 years!!! For what, so he could never be drafted??

Lets wait and see where Ennis goes and give him 2-3 years and see what happens. The issue is, he can play his way into being productive in the NBA, he will have time. Personally, I think all of these kids should leave if they are a top 10-12 pick. No questions asked
The way I've always looked at it is if you can really play, it doesn't matter when you come out. If you can't play, you better declare before the nba figures that out.

Disagree. Dion was ready. Tyler has lots to work on from strength, to shooting, and he has nowhere near MCW's metrics. Also, Syracuse is looking at having one PG on the roster (an incoming frosh) and limited other ballhandlers without Ennis. Kind of scary if you ask me.

Again, why do you automatically assume the makeup of the roster for next year influences Boeheim's advice to a player on whether or not to go pro? Ennis has a lot to work on, as do all the one-and-done's. However his draft stock may never be higher and if so only marginally, and he has to weigh the risk of injury. If I'm a top 15 pick I tell the kid to take the $- and until I hear evidence to the contrary I bet that was Boeheims advice as well.

Whether or not anyone cares I am going to share my thoughts on Tyler Ennis.

Ennis was a very good NCAA freshman point guard. For many of our games he was exactly the type of floor general, who rarely made mistakes that this team needed. I am glad he came to Syracuse and without being able to accurately predict the future wish he would have decided to stay another year. I do also think it is fair to criticize Ennis for handcuffing (for the lack of a better term) the offense. He rarely pushed the pace of play, even in games when we could have scored in transition and fast breaks, and even in games when our half court offense was not producing. He is the only Syracuse PG I can remember who played at this slow of a pace. Even James Theus played at a quicker pace than Ennis. In many games Ennis's (through his own will or through coaching) hindered our already anemic offense by refusing to even attempt to run. I keep coming back to the analogy of a quarterback who is a game manager. A game manager at QB plays calmly most of the time, rarely doing anything to cost a game, but also not making huge players on a regular basis. To me Ennis was a game manager PG, he did have a stretch where he made a few huge plays, but overall throughout the season he was simply steady. I think it is the lack of big mistakes that may appeal to the NBA teams.

With all of this being said, in my view he made the right choice going pro now. I never saw the top level athleticism with Ennis that all of the best NBA players display. He "changed gears" very well, but never seemed to have that top level speed or quickness. The big plays he made were memorable (ie. the Pitt shot) and these memories are fresh in the mind of the NBA scouts. I don't see how coming back another year would do anything, but harm his draft stock. I think he would end up being another Jared Sullinger, who went from top 5 to barely first round.

If Boeheim did in fact suggest that Ennis come back for another year and based on some of his quotes (hyperbole) about draft busts, I can see his point of view. However, I am not sure how another year at SU would have been a positive for Ennis. (For us a fans and the program in general, absolutely, but not for Ennis as an individual.) I could see Ennis flaming out in the NBA. We have had other high picks come from SU with much more athleticism become busts (Johnson and Flynn come to mind). I hope Ennis makes it, but I can't say I have as much faith in his NBA career as I did in MCW when he left after last season.

Be advised I typed this quickly and did not closely proof read. So if anything doesn't make sense, oh well!

Tyler Ennis is Alex Smith of the chiefs.

Hoov50 said:
Whether or not anyone cares I am going to share my thoughts on Tyler Ennis. Ennis was a very good NCAA freshman point guard. For many of our games he was exactly the type of floor general, who rarely made mistakes that this team needed. I am glad he came to Syracuse and without being able to accurately predict the future wish he would have decided to stay another year. I do also think it is fair to criticize Ennis for handcuffing (for the lack of a better term) the offense. He rarely pushed the pace of play, even in games when we could have scored in transition and fast breaks, and even in games when our half court offense was not producing. He is the only Syracuse PG I can remember who played at this slow of a pace. Even James Theus played at a quicker pace than Ennis. In many games Ennis's (through his own will or through coaching) hindered our already anemic offense by refusing to even attempt to run. I keep coming back to the analogy of a quarterback who is a game manager. A game manager at QB plays calmly most of the time, rarely doing anything to cost a game, but also not making huge players on a regular basis. To me Ennis was a game manager PG, he did have a stretch where he made a few huge plays, but overall throughout the season he was simply steady. I think it is the lack of big mistakes that may appeal to the NBA teams. With all of this being said, in my view he made the right choice going pro now. I never saw the top level athleticism with Ennis that all of the best NBA players display. He "changed gears" very well, but never seemed to have that top level speed or quickness. The big plays he made were memorable (ie. the Pitt shot) and these memories are fresh in the mind of the NBA scouts. I don't see how coming back another year would do anything, but harm his draft stock. I think he would end up being another Jared Sullinger, who went from top 5 to barely first round. If Boeheim did in fact suggest that Ennis come back for another year and based on some of his quotes (hyperbole) about draft busts, I can see his point of view. However, I am not sure how another year at SU would have been a positive for Ennis. (For us a fans and the program in general, absolutely, but not for Ennis as an individual.) I could see Ennis flaming out in the NBA. We have had other high picks come from SU with much more athleticism become busts (Johnson and Flynn come to mind). I hope Ennis makes it, but I can't say I have as much faith in his NBA career as I did in MCW when he left after last season. Be advised I typed this quickly and did not closely proof read. So if anything doesn't make sense, oh well!

Us not running was a JB choice.

Again, why do you automatically assume the makeup of the roster for next year influences Boeheim's advice to a player on whether or not to go pro? Ennis has a lot to work on, as do all the one-and-done's. However his draft stock may never be higher and if so only marginally, and he has to weigh the risk of injury. If I'm a top 15 pick I tell the kid to take the $- and until I hear evidence to the contrary I bet that was Boeheims advice as well.

It probably should and I bet it does. There was evidence to the contrary. Haven't you heard JB's quotes about Ennis needing to work on his shot and strength?

Look, it is probably the time to strike rich while it's hot for Ennis. It is a very weak PG draft so he is benefiting. I get that he is going. I am more concerned about ballhandling and quality guard minutes next season. We can't have a repeat of taxing minutes for a frosh PG, lack of ballhanders in general, etc.

It probably should and I bet it does. There was evidence to the contrary. Haven't you heard JB's quotes about Ennis needing to work on his shot and strength?

Look, it is probably the time to strike rich while it's hot for Ennis. It is a very weak PG draft so he is benefiting. I get that he is going. I am more concerned about ballhandling and quality guard minutes next season. We can't have a repeat of taxing minutes for a frosh PG, lack of ballhanders in general, etc.
I have heard JB's quotes-and I agree with him! I don't know maybe I'm naive but I have a hard time believing Jimmy is anything but honest with a kid like Ennis. I imagine the conversation was along the lines of : "Here are your strengths, here are your areas to improve, you're probably a top 15 pick with X dollars guaranteed in your first contract, which could also be your last if you don't work on your weaknesses. Do what you feel is best for you and your family" I don't think our ball handling situation for next year factors into the advice Boeheim gives his players, that is all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom