JB on Frankie Howard | Syracusefan.com

JB on Frankie Howard

pearl31

in cahoots
Didn't see this mentioned yet, just came across it via TNIAAM...

2015-10-30_1008.png

jgeorge322 said:
I guess that says that howard 2015 > kaleb 2014. now, the question is, is howard 2015 > kaleb 2015? tbd.

I think Battle will have something to say about that.

pearl31 said:
OK, but what does next year have to do w 2015 FH vs 2015 KJ?

Thought you/we were talking about the point guard job next year. I didn't look long enough at the date, 2015.

Carry on.

jgeorge322 said:
I think battle surely could say something about it. however, I don't think jb will take his advice on playing time this year.

I was talking about next year.

To me this, along with reports of Kaleb's progress over the summer and into fall, means we have a backcourt to be reckoned with this year

I hope so but im more reserved in my opinion. I hope to be pleasantly surprisd.

Didn't see this mentioned yet, just came across it via TNIAAM...

View attachment 53462

FH looks physically ready. I think we really need a good fast PG who can dish the ball. FH may be that guy.

This year's team has the most unknowns of any team in the last 10 years in my opinion. I just have no idea how good they are going to be. They could make the NCAA tournament or they could end up with 14 wins. Until I see them play I have no idea how good each player is and how well this group will play together as a team.

Howard is going to surprise people. Tremendous passer.

I'm sure he is going to be great, I do believe next year will be his year though, just don't see the minutes for him unless one of a few guys disappoint.

G - He's going to play no matter what.
Kaleb - If he fails then G will get a majority of the minutes at the 1 with Howard spelling him.
Lydon - If he fails then G goes back to the three and minutes at the 1 are split with Joseph and Howard
Richardson - See Lydon.

Howard could get the opportunity to play and play a lot, but I think one of the three scenarios need to happen for him to get minutes. Even then, if Howard doesn't seize that opportunity then he may be the one sitting even more than anticipated with Kaleb, Lydon, or Richardson taking his. There are a lot of variables but there are options.

I'm sure he is going to be great, I do believe next year will be his year though, just don't see the minutes for him unless one of a few guys disappoint.

G - He's going to play no matter what.
Kaleb - If he fails then G will get a majority of the minutes at the 1 with Howard spelling him.
Lydon - If he fails then G goes back to the three and minutes at the 1 are split with Joseph and Howard
Richardson - See Lydon.

Howard could get the opportunity to play and play a lot, but I think one of the three scenarios need to happen for him to get minutes. Even then, if Howard doesn't seize that opportunity then he may be the one sitting even more than anticipated with Kaleb, Lydon, or Richardson taking his. There are a lot of variables but there are options.

I see Gbinije playing guard not because someone would underachieve but because he brings defense there and gives Cooney defensive help to shine as well.

Lydon scoring just 4.5 ppg would be the equivalent of Richardson scoring 6.8 because of Lydons ability to rebound and block shots. Not to mention 2nd chance rebounds on top of it. That being said if Lydon were to outscore Richardson no reason to get down either because it will probably be because of garbage points, lobs, and athletic rebounds.

Gbinije is going to make a killing once the double teams start coming at him 30 feet from the basket. In rare situations when its your point guard being doubled all game because he is also a great scorer, it usually cuts time for the backup point. That being said I love Howard, he won't be getting doubled much, but has every bit the same potential that Dion waiters/Tyler Roberson were being hyped for. Tall, fast, dribbles into open space with his head up seeing the entire floor extremely well, and can stop and pop from three even nba range as a freshmen. Hes on nobodys watch list for the nba but his build and his skillset should be.

I hopefully envision Howard competing with Kaleb more for minutes then Gbinije, but he is going to get some minutes anyway. One thing to know though is Kaleb is a year and a half experienced ahead of him in driving the lane at this level and against professional players overseas. He understands the driving screen probably better then anyone on this team. If Kaleb was successful playing a semi Dion Waiters like role this year with less shots and finding assists more as a SG like feel, I would be very happy. I predict Howard will be noticably more ready to shoot the kickout three then Kaleb.

None of the above is set in stone but I have a strong lean in all of that, until Halloween roles around :p

Last edited:
I guess that says that howard 2015 > kaleb 2014. now, the question is, is howard 2015 > kaleb 2015? tbd.
What this says to me is the following...

Gbinijie 2015 PG > Frank Howard 2015 > Kaleb Joseph 2014

So if Frank is better than Kaleb a year ago, and Gbinije is better than that at the point to get the start there, we should be pumped.

I predict Howard will be noticably more ready to shoot the kickout three then Kaleb.

Every year we have freshmen who are supposed to astound us with their play. And every year in almost all cases freshmen-itus sets in. Most players out of high school need time to adjust to the speed and quality of D1 CBB. Last year we saw it with Kaleb. I bet you we see a noticeable improvement with Kaleb's play this season (hopefully night and day). And like every year I predict JB will play the most experience players. I think how JB determines who plays is simply by who does the best in practice and in games. And in most cases the most experience players just play better. I'm predicting TC will get more playing time than any of the freshmen.

So if Frank is better than Kaleb a year ago, and Gbinije is better than that at the point to get the start there, we should be pumped.
pumped about what, having a bunch of guys that aren't good PG's?

Every year we have freshmen who are supposed to astound us with their play. And every year in almost all cases freshmen-itus sets in. Most players out of high school need time to adjust to the speed and quality of D1 CBB. Last year we saw it with Kaleb. I bet you we see a noticeable improvement with Kaleb's play this season (hopefully night and day). And like every year I predict JB will play the most experience players. I think how JB determines who plays is simply by who does the best in practice and in games. And in most cases the most experience players just play better. I'm predicting TC will get more playing time than any of the freshmen.

That was the easiest prediction you could possibly make.

I think tou got the math wrong. Its prob more like

Gbinije 2015>...>fh 2015>kj 2014

That was the easiest prediction you could possibly make.

The way the Orange will win games is by scoring more points on offense than they allow their opponents to score when they are on defense. What do you think of that gem? Oh the power of an Orange education!

JB's remark is a nice compliment towards Howard, however, it simultaneously also further hammers home just how weak/poor we were last year at the game's most critical position.

I think jb is also paving the way for KJ to transfer after the season. First, he loses his position to silent G. Next, he gets pushed for pt by Franklin. A ship would open up at a time when we need them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom