JB on Frankie Howard | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

JB on Frankie Howard

I think jb is also paving the way for KJ to transfer after the season. First, he loses his position to silent G. Next, he gets pushed for pt by Franklin. A ship would open up at a time when we need them.

I get your point, but he's also been complimentary of Kaleb's improvements, with his shooting and his physique.

I think jb is also paving the way for KJ to transfer after the season. First, he loses his position to silent G. Next, he gets pushed for pt by Franklin. A ship would open up at a time when we need them.

KJ shot worse then any guard we have had in the last 15 years as a freshmen when you combined his three and 2 point range percentages. He just wasn't ready last year.

Hes also going to blow by people easier then anyone on this team.
On top of that hes probably the hardest worker on this team.
Hes gotten better shooting the ball and put 16 pounds of muscle in the offseason as well as being leading scorer for a ysa east jr team overseas over the summer straight from JB's mouth.
I don't predict hes a three point shooter yet, but I respectfully disagree.
Hes one of two returning guards next year if you don't count malachi as one.

Maybe this year and less possibly next he could be closer to 22mpg then 30 though.

Last edited:
I see Gbinije playing guard not because someone would underachieve but because he brings defense there and gives Cooney defensive help to shine as well.

Lydon scoring just 4.5 ppg would be the equivalent of Richardson scoring 6.8 because of Lydons ability to rebound and block shots. Not to mention 2nd chance rebounds on top of it. That being said if Lydon were to outscore Richardson no reason to get down either because it will probably be because of garbage points, lobs, and athletic rebounds.

Gbinije is going to make a killing once the double teams start coming at him 30 feet from the basket. In rare situations when its your point guard being doubled all game because he is also a great scorer, it usually cuts time for the backup point. That being said I love Howard, he won't be getting doubled much, but has every bit the same potential that Dion waiters/Tyler Roberson were being hyped for. Tall, fast, dribbles into open space with his head up seeing the entire floor extremely well, and can stop and pop from three even nba range as a freshmen. Hes on nobodys watch list for the nba but his build and his skillset should be.

I hopefully envision Howard competing with Kaleb more for minutes then Gbinije, but he is going to get some minutes anyway. One thing to know though is Kaleb is a year and a half experienced ahead of him in driving the lane at this level and against professional players overseas. He understands the driving screen probably better then anyone on this team. If Kaleb was successful playing a semi Dion Waiters like role this year with less shots and finding assists more as a SG like feel, I would be very happy. I predict Howard will be noticably more ready to shoot the kickout three then Kaleb.

None of the above is set in stone but I have a strong lean in all of that, until Halloween roles around :p

Why do you think people will double Gbinije so far from the basket? Just curious. I think if a team can put a a physical and/or pesky guard on him to hound him then he will struggle. Just like how most of our guards in recent memory struggle with tough on the ball pressure...sigh. Just my $.02.

I disagree on the presumption physical guards being effective at hounding him. He is strong, one of the reasons he rebounds well and can gain and hold position down low. Very quick harassing guards that can get underneath him. That could be a different story. But, double teams thirty feet from the basket, I share your skepticism. Sounds to me like a quick pass for an open three.

I disagree on the presumption physical guards being effective at hounding him. He is strong, one of the reasons he rebounds well and can gain and hold position down low. Very quick harassing guards that can get underneath him. That could be a different story. But, double teams thirty feet from the basket, I share your skepticism. Sounds to me like a quick pass for an open three.

I like the kid but I don't think his handle is THAT good to be able to overcome regular on the ball pressure from a physical or harassing type. Now posting up a smaller guard is another story.

Why do you think people will double Gbinije so far from the basket? Just curious. I think if a team can put a a physical and/or pesky guard on him to hound him then he will struggle. Just like how most of our guards in recent memory struggle with tough on the ball pressure...sigh. Just my $.02.

I wouldn't mind if Gbinije looses the ball twice a game because at the same time hes going to be the guy to score 16 plus ppg. Its the other guys who got to value the ball and put the pass on target.

I know its 30 feet from the basket but that is where Gbinije plays.
Who else are they going to double?
I guess they can double nobody but if that's the case, then I am all for Gbinije forcing their hand shooting 23 shots instead of 14 on those kind of days. Hes good enough to heat up. He starts hitting three pointers 2 for 3 in a 5 minute stretch or or 3 for 5 in a 10-12 minute stretch, even 4 for 8 in 18 minutes they will think twice about not doubling him. Of course that depends on him shooting as well off the dribble as spotting up against some of the better defenses. They can put a shorter harassing guy on him but let him play off guard on those possessions, then he won't have to worry about 5-6 dribbles instead 1-2 going into his pullup.

Only other guy I would predict maybe forcing a double early on off a few dribbles is Joseph if he starts hitting alot of jumpers in the high/mid post.

Any other doubles will come from aggressive defense but will not be forced, like rak did last year.

Last edited:
Howard is going to be a lucky charm for this team, I'm hoping. Last year when the offense got stagnant, there really wasn't an option for someone to create and make a skilled pass. If that's Howard's game, he'll be a fine remedy to some of those problems.

This reminds me of a Roc Christmas thread from a few years back when JB was "forcing" him out.

I don't think Howard is going to play that much. If he does it means we are in a lot of trouble after Cooney and Silent G. Howard will play the kind of minutes MCW played behind Scoop, Dion and Triche. He will come in and make 2 or 3 good passes and then go back to the bench. At which point every fan that doesn't like Cooney will compare Howard to Jason Kidd in his prime.

Howard could even get some burn at the 2. I know they recruited him at the 1 but he has the reputation of being a solid scorer and combo guard, maybe he will spell Cooney?

The only way G gets doubled is if he catches fire and scores over 20 a game. Ain't gonna happen.

Howard could even get some burn at the 2. I know they recruited him at the 1 but he has the reputation of being a solid scorer and combo guard, maybe he will spell Cooney?

I don't think we would know the difference if he did or didn't.

Hes the blowby driver on the team with Gbinije, the other guards are more likely to hit the kickout three. SG's can get as many assists or more then point guards.

Cooney spent his second year shooting the three ball last year. That being said, he started to do it off the dribble with a defender on him more. Gbinije wasn't quite there last year as it was his first year shooting the ball. In the same way cooney made that jump I think Gbinije can to shoot over the pressure defenders more.

Andy Rautins senior season he shot the ball over his man more one on one alot. I think Cooney has a shot at dribbling squaring up with the basket more instead of trying to square up after dribbling right.

Last edited:
Really liked what I saw from Frankie tonight. By next year, paired with Mr. Battle - that's going to be some backcourt. But even this year the kid is going to contribute.

Um so maybe it's me but if it's bullseye for Malachi when Howard makes a three can it be a Wowee from Howie! Please

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom