JB on Sirius... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

JB on Sirius...

How could a bubble in college actually work?
Thats a damn good question...and would the players want it? Pretty much complete isolation for how long? Will family be invited into the bubble for games? Schooling etc? Idk but it seems like it would be a big task.

Thats a damn good question...and would the players want it? Pretty much complete isolation for how long? Will family be invited into the bubble for games? Schooling etc? Idk but it seems like it would be a big task.
I think it's doable with zoom classes. Would they do it? I guess it depends on how badly they want to play bball.

I think it's doable with zoom classes. Would they do it? I guess it depends on how badly they want to play bball.
Lots of them have been doing online courses for years.

How could a bubble in college actually work?
As I mentioned in another thread...

Alright, just had an idea. Conferences choose a central location to 'bubble' for the season. For us (the ACC), the Raleigh-Durham area seems like the best choice. Three major schools there, sufficient hotel accomodations to house the teams, or they could figure out dorm set-ups with all the students that won't be on campus. Teams all go there for the entirety of the 'season' whatever that may be. Most of the players will likely be doing online courses anyway, so what does it matter where they are? Split practice times at the three 'host' schools.

Thoughts?

I think a bubble for basketball would be easy. It just should not be in Greensboro. It would almost work best in a Dome stadium where they could setup multiple courts.

I think a bubble for basketball would be easy. It just should not be in Greensboro. It would almost work best in a Dome stadium where they could setup multiple courts.
My question is would the acc be willing to shell out the money for a bubble?

A bubble for college athletics could ONLY WORK if they played the games in the timeframe between the fall and spring semesters and students are on winter break.

These kids shouldn’t have to play games in a bubble while taking classes.

If they had a 2-3 week bubble and kids weren’t in class during the break between semesters you get your nonconference or conference games.

Then you do a 1 week bubble during Spring break.

Then you have the NCAA tournament in a bubble.

No more.

This season would probably be a lot shorter.

A bubble for college athletics could ONLY WORK if they played the games in the timeframe between the fall and spring semesters and students are on winter break.

These kids shouldn’t have to play games in a bubble while taking classes.

If they had a 2-3 week bubble and kids weren’t in class during the break between semesters you get your nonconference or conference games.

Then you do a 1 week bubble during Spring break.

Then you have the NCAA tournament in a bubble.

No more.

This season would probably be a lot shorter.

If you took them away from their schools, I don't see why they couldn't spend an entire semester sequestered in their bubble as I laid out.

Not every school has the same winter break, some are 3 weeks, some are 5-6. You won't get the colleges to change their academic schedules.

If you took them away from their schools, I don't see why they couldn't spend an entire semester sequestered in their bubble as I laid out.

Not every school has the same winter break, some are 3 weeks, some are 5-6. You won't get the colleges to change their academic schedules.
You put teams in bubbles with the same school schedules.

These kids can’t be in a bubble and take college classes. That is so selfish by any college that asks players to live in that situation.
I am sure our players wouldn’t have that much a problem but it’s just not what college athletics are all about.

I wouldn't bubble them at all. I would enforce the current protocals in the team structure and tell them to do the right thing when they're alone and out in public. They need to know if they go to the parties etc they jeopardize themselves and the team and they might get it all shut down. The onus is on the individual. It;s like driving drunk. You know the rules.

The team needs to do checks and testing and a lot of it.

traveling and cities and all that is easily contained and outside contact limited especially for a basketball team.

The general public is largely back to work. You should see the number of tourists packed into Lake George and the local workers are not getting sick; cases are dropping.

Agree. In the end its gonna be about individuals assessing personal risk and making decisions for themselves in terms of their activity. These decisions will be based on their personal medical situation. People are going out. Stores, bars, restaurants, and working day to day with many employers implementing daily entrance screens and while it isn't perfect, its still indeed effective.
Yes, we still need to do more testing for the kids and staff. 3x/week sounds very reasonable; problem is the lack of confidence the public has with testing results. It's been a disaster in terms of false negatives and delay of results, 3-5 days. Not sure how you implement and execute testing when you cant get a result back within 48 hrs. Should be 24.

IMO, our scientists and alike have been exposed here. This is an issue with allocation of public funds and where they go to protect us and understand super threats. We pour $$$ into a lost endeavor in cancer (I have seen it in the front row), we donate to space programs, yet; we get blindsided by a virus, a virus some say was on the radar of many presidents and with some earlier work and a scientific effort, we could have cataloged this family of viruses and have been close to a vaccine ...instead of blindsided being the world leader we are supposed to be.

Most colleges are ending their first semesters before Thanksgiving.

These kids can’t be in a bubble and take college classes. That is so selfish by any college that asks players to live in that situation.
I am sure our players wouldn’t have that much a problem but it’s just not what college athletics are all about.
They only take two classes or so during a semester.

There are plenty of high schools that cost 30K plus where all classes are online - without the bonus of sports. Its not that big a deal.

Agree. In the end its gonna be about individuals assessing personal risk and making decisions for themselves in terms of their activity. These decisions will be based on their personal medical situation. People are going out. Stores, bars, restaurants, and working day to day with many employers implementing daily entrance screens and while it isn't perfect, its still indeed effective.
Yes, we still need to do more testing for the kids and staff. 3x/week sounds very reasonable; problem is the lack of confidence the public has with testing results. It's been a disaster in terms of false negatives and delay of results, 3-5 days. Not sure how you implement and execute testing when you cant get a result back within 48 hrs. Should be 24.

IMO, our scientists and alike have been exposed here. This is an issue with allocation of public funds and where they go to protect us and understand super threats. We pour $$$ into a lost endeavor in cancer (I have seen it in the front row), we donate to space programs, yet; we get blindsided by a virus, a virus some say was on the radar of many presidents and with some earlier work and a scientific effort, we could have cataloged this family of viruses and have been close to a vaccine ...instead of blindsided being the world leader we are supposed to be.
People don’t want to pay for the stuff .. we’re going to have , likely, MULTIPLE vaccines that work within a year and yet we had zero before .. why is that? Because the funding and financial incentive are now there .. we would have already had a coronavirus vaccine had the funding for a MERS vaccine not dried up once MERS did

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom