JB on Sirius... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

JB on Sirius...

I think it could be done, but the what-ifs are likely too much for a university to agree to in terms of liability. You going to trust your bubbled players to not break the bubble to hang with their girlfriends, or sneak off to get some food offsite? NBA bubble restrictions seem to be working pretty well, but man, you are talking about something completely different with traveling to different cities for games a couple times a week. Feels like it might be too much without a drastic drop in the case counts for the virus, or a vaccine.

I wouldn't bubble them at all. I would enforce the current protocals in the team structure and tell them to do the right thing when they're alone and out in public. They need to know if they go to the parties etc they jeopardize themselves and the team and they might get it all shut down. The onus is on the individual. It;s like driving drunk. You know the rules.

The team needs to do checks and testing and a lot of it.

traveling and cities and all that is easily contained and outside contact limited especially for a basketball team.

The general public is largely back to work. You should see the number of tourists packed into Lake George and the local workers are not getting sick; cases are dropping.

Where? All tournaments that my son could have played in this summer, including all of New England, have been cancelled. He's going to be HS senior this year. There's nothing. And I live in the state doing the best BY FAR with this disease.

You say New England but New Hampshire has had enormous weekly lacrosse tournaments. I'm sure basketball is wide open there to.

You say New England but New Hampshire has had enormous weekly lacrosse tournaments. I'm sure basketball is wide open there to.
No. Our local lax team (802), which my son used to play on as well, is playing tournaments, but none of the best AAU teams are playing anywhere. My kid is dialed in with all the other top players around here. Trust me on this one.

Your teams ever play the Bitter tourney up in Stowe? Huge outcry this year when they tried to hold it. All the locals freaked out. Which is weird because half the folks who own homes in Stowe are actually residents of elsewhere, like Boston and New York City.

I wouldn't bubble them at all. I would enforce the current protocals in the team structure and tell them to do the right thing when they're alone and out in public. They need to know if they go to the parties etc they jeopardize themselves and the team and they might get it all shut down. The onus is on the individual. It;s like driving drunk. You know the rules.

traveling and cities and all that is easily contained and outside contact limited especially for a basketball team.

The general public is largely back to work. You should see the number of tourists packed into Lake George and the local workers are not getting sick; cases are dropping.
Like MLB? That's not going so well. And they play outside!

This doesn't work without a bubble. And without players knowing they miss at least 2 weeks if they break the bubble. Even Buddy.

Like MLB? That's not going so well. And they play outside!

This doesn't work without a bubble. And without players knowing they miss at least 2 weeks if they break the bubble. Even Buddy.

MLB is bad for one team and was bad for another. The rest that missed a few will be treated like rainouts. The league is treating hotel situations like a bubble with security, etc.

Your teams ever play the Bitter tourney up in Stowe? Huge outcry this year when they tried to hold it. All the locals freaked out. Which is weird because half the folks who own homes in Stowe are actually residents of elsewhere, like Boston and New York City.

we've played in Stowe before but VT residents freaking out about everything doesn't surprise me. My brother couldn't get a room in Burlington last weekend and the desk said you're from Onondaga County and you have X cases of Covid there. My brother says there's 500,000 people in the county and those 300 cases are .0006 % of the population. They sent him on his merry way.

No. Our local lax team (802), which my son used to play on as well, is playing tournaments, but none of the best AAU teams are playing anywhere. My kid is dialed in with all the other top players around here. Trust me on this one.

are you talking basketball? because Prime Time has been having lax tournaments in Epping, NH

are you talking basketball? because Prime Time has been having lax tournaments in Epping, NH
My son used to play lax but he gave that up to focus on hoops full time and because he hated playing for the 802 coach. I know the 802 lax teams have been playing tournaments in NH, but I don't know any AAU hoops teams that have played any tourneys this summer at all. They are hoping for some fall tournaments, but no word on those yet.

My son used to play lax but he gave that up to focus on hoops full time and because he hated playing for the 802 coach. I know the 802 lax teams have been playing tournaments in NH, but I don't know any AAU hoops teams that have played any tourneys this summer at all. They are hoping for some fall tournaments, but no word on those yet.
My son's club team has been playing in tournaments in Indiana but his mean parents have been holding him out. It's been fun.

is that a fact?

2 separate club lacrosse porgrams in Albany over 100 kids and coaches each, 2 ninety minutes practices a week for a month and zero cases. A few NY club lax teams traveling out of state to pay including a big tournament right now in NJ. Zero cases with the past tourneys and the current tourney TBD but highly likely no cases will result from it.
I’m happy to hear that honestly. But we’re also talking about 100+ teams traveling all over the region with those kids all interacting in some way (realistically speaking) with the broader campus communities.

I’m no epidemiologist but it seems pretty risky to me. At least to suggest that there *won’t* be an issue. Who knows? I’d love to see it so I’m not rooting against it. Just think it’s a really tough thing to do.

I'm with you on basketball. Think that can be managed more effectively. I guess I was thinking more of football, which is strange on the basketball board.

Having said that, a couple nits to pick: if you give players freedom to do stuff, whatever that is, and rely on them to make good decisions (and this goes for us adults and non-athletes as well) they will choose to do the wrong stuff. It's human nature. That's why stuff is getting cancelled or postponed.

Second, it's great to hear some people are holding events and not getting a bunch of positive tests but let's not pretend this still isn't a really significant concern. There were 97,000 positive tests in two weeks back to school. That's an issue ... particularly if you have a kid who's had pnuemonia five times like my son. I need other people to make good decisions OR governments/schools/sports leagues to make safe decisions even if it infringes on others' personal freedoms. My issue is that I know, and I would argue it's fact, that people (myself and you included) won't make the best decisions given options.

But again, I do think from a hoops perspective, I think it could be much easier to manage.

I love JB but he really seems to have his head in the sand on this. I don’t think he really gets the risks of close player contact for extended periods of time, universities as potential Petri dishes, the risks of travel and the dangers of long term damage to one’s health (even to younger people) if you contract the virus. Even though he’s 75 years old, so in a high risk category, he seems to be a bit clueless. These are students not professional athletes.

If you used the term Petri dish then I’m sure everything is a Petri dish to you. I’m glad you don’t have to sit in traffic and commute anymore. Go ruin some college kids lives so you can keep working from home forever.

If you used the term Petri dish then I’m sure everything is a Petri dish to you. I’m glad you don’t have to sit in traffic and commute anymore. Go ruin some college kids lives so you can keep working from home forever.
giphy.gif

I think it could be done, but the what-ifs are likely too much for a university to agree to in terms of liability. You going to trust your bubbled players to not break the bubble to hang with their girlfriends, or sneak off to get some food offsite? NBA bubble restrictions seem to be working pretty well, but man, you are talking about something completely different with traveling to different cities for games a couple times a week. Feels like it might be too much without a drastic drop in the case counts for the virus, or a vaccine.

Hot girls in Orlando on tinder are getting hit up by NBA players non stop I know one. Don’t be naive they just aren’t going to the clubs and bars.

MLB is bad for one team and was bad for another. The rest that missed a few will be treated like rainouts. The league is treating hotel situations like a bubble with security, etc.

Agree. Baseball is getting piled on unfairly in my opinion. Which is less of an opinion and more of a fact.

I love JB but he really seems to have his head in the sand on this. I don’t think he really gets the risks of close player contact for extended periods of time, universities as potential Petri dishes, the risks of travel and the dangers of long term damage to one’s health (even to younger people) if you contract the virus. Even though he’s 75 years old, so in a high risk category, he seems to be a bit clueless. These are students not professional athletes.

Well, look at it from his perspective. How many years does he have left to do this? Play the games! That's how he sees it. But it's naive of him. Bravado is great, and all, but people can't go to games, because #Maskholes.

Where? All tournaments that my son could have played in this summer, including all of New England, have been cancelled. He's going to be HS senior this year. There's nothing. And I live in the state doing the best BY FAR with this disease.
VT has been doing the best because it has been very, very slow to reopen, which I'm ok with, mind you, but there are sports happening in many other places without much blowback. I have a nephew playing high level high school hoops in SoCal and another one playing high level high school baseball in the Carolinas. One of them caught Covid, but from his girlfriend, not sports.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom