JB on Sirius... | Syracusefan.com

JB on Sirius...

I love JB but he really seems to have his head in the sand on this. I don’t think he really gets the risks of close player contact for extended periods of time, universities as potential Petri dishes, the risks of travel and the dangers of long term damage to one’s health (even to younger people) if you contract the virus. Even though he’s 75 years old, so in a high risk category, he seems to be a bit clueless. These are students not professional athletes.

I love JB but he really seems to have his head in the sand on this. I don’t think he really gets the risks of close player contact for extended periods of time, universities as potential Petri dishes, the risks of travel and the dangers of long term damage to one’s health (even to younger people) if you contract the virus. Even though he’s 75 years old, so in a high risk category, he seems to be a bit clueless. These are students not professional athletes.

he’s a college basketball coach... his opinion should be taken with a grain of salt when it comes to logistics and safety of playing a season ... especially since he has a vested interest in playing

JB is from a generation that puts their boots on and heads to work no matter how they feel, how much it is snowing or whatever. The complete opposite of America today. I would expect nothing less from him. I identify with JB in this regard but I also realize it’s a good thing we don’t make the call on public health policy.

JB is from a generation that puts their boots on and heads to work no matter how they feel, how much it is snowing or whatever. The complete opposite of America today. I would expect nothing less from him. I identify with JB in this regard but I also realize it’s a good thing we don’t make the call on public health policy.
Good for JB. He is entitled to his opinion. I agree with his take on the situation.

Good for JB. He is entitled to his opinion. I agree with his take on the situation.
As do I.
Hmmm. Agree that you just want to see football or that it just isn’t a concern? Because any way you slice it, playing 9 games and traveling with 100 kids and staff at each school will lead to a boatload of cases. I’m against that because it’s an issue for (mostly) the broader community and potentially even some kids/coaches.

of course, having said that, I’d really enjoy some college football right about now.

Or like everyone else he's tired of living like this.

In other words he's as much of an expert on virology and epidemiology as 99% of the posters here, yet that doesn't stop anyone here from proclaiming how things should be handled. Just because you may not agree with his stance doesn't mean he's wrong (or right for that matter)

And he's also in the demographic most at risk
For this virus. So if he's ready to go full steam ahead I am too.

at least we’re finally starting to hear something coming out of the college football world that I’ve been saying for a while .. and that is .. why do we act as if the risk of contracting the virus is zero if they don’t play ? It’s not ... what matters is the relative risk difference and there can be arguments made that some of these guys will be at much higher risk if left on their own ...

In other words he's as much of an expert on virology and epidemiology as 99% of the posters here, yet that doesn't stop anyone here from proclaiming how things should be handled. Just because you may not agree with his stance doesn't mean he's wrong (or right for that matter)
I think the question to ask is if what he says is in line with the experts - I don’t feel it is, others may feel differently

Half the board wants us to be like New Zealand who just lockdown the country over four cases while the other shares JBs sentiment. He's made millions upon millions and doesn't need money. Has little incentive to go back to work other than keeping himself occupied.

He's also a parent with kids playing, so not just some old fart walking uphill both ways in the snow.

Why not both? ;)

He's an old-school curmudgeon, who also happens to have college-aged kids playing hoops.

Half the board wants us to be like New Zealand who just lockdown the country over four cases while the other shares JBs sentiment. He's made millions upon millions and doesn't need money. Has little incentive to go back to work other than keeping himself occupied.
How about winning another title that's not incentive?

He's far from clueless, he just has a different opinion. I agree with him.

Because any way you slice it, playing 9 games and traveling with 100 kids and staff at each school will lead to a boatload of cases.

is that a fact?

2 separate club lacrosse programs in Albany with over 100 kids and coaches each, 2 ninety minute practices a week for a month and zero cases. A few NY club lax teams traveling out of state to play including a big tournament right now in NJ. Zero cases with the past tourneys and the current tourney TBD but highly likely no cases will result from it.

Last edited:
is that a fact?

2 separate club lacrosse teams over 100 kids and coaches each, 2 ninety minutes practices a week for a month and zero cases. A few NY club lax teams traveling out of state to pay including a big tournament this weekend in NJ. Zero cases.
How many of those teams use locker rooms? How often do they play indoors? How often do they do film sessions in a small room?

is that a fact?

2 separate club lacrosse teams over 100 kids and coaches each, 2 ninety minutes practices a week for a month and zero cases. A few NY club lax teams traveling out of state to pay including a big tournament this weekend in NJ. Zero cases.

Summer basketball has been taking place as well.

How many of those teams use locker rooms? How often do they play indoors? How often do they do film sessions in a small room?

you got me on the indoor thing but everything else can be properly managed. masks, space etc. Not to mention if the 'group' doesn't have covid then they're all safe. It would be picked up from outside the 'team', like being in the grocery store and brought into the team. Not the other way around.

you got me on the indoor thing but everything else can be properly managed. Not to mention if the 'group' doesn't have covid then they're all safe. It would be picked up from outside the 'group', like being in the grocery store. Would have zero to do with the sports teams if they're all negative to begin with.
I think it could be done, but the what-ifs are likely too much for a university to agree to in terms of liability. You going to trust your bubbled players to not break the bubble to hang with their girlfriends, or sneak off to get some food offsite? NBA bubble restrictions seem to be working pretty well, but man, you are talking about something completely different with traveling to different cities for games a couple times a week. Feels like it might be too much without a drastic drop in the case counts for the virus, or a vaccine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom