JB quote on set offensive plays | Syracusefan.com

JB quote on set offensive plays

Jasoncuse

2022 Iggy Winner: NCAA Tourament
Is this quote legit?

“When you don’t make shots and you gotta drive, it becomes a hard game. We don’t run set plays to get shots because we can’t make ’em."

He basically admits that we don't have any set plays because he doesn't trust anyone can hit shots? What? So not running any plays and going all iso is the better option? This is insane, if it's to be taken at face value. How is this an offensive plan or philosophy at this level?

Criticizing Tyus or Frank for not being able to score or find open teammates seems so wrong when this is what the HC has to say, no?

I apologize if this is rehashing a discussion...

It’s like when Fran Franscilla was calling our game at Wisconsin and said our offense was simple. He was being nice saying we did nothing but put the ball in the hands of a player and had them make a play.
We don’t practice sets.

I bet they practice defense and then do drills and have the players do their own shooting.

I want to understand this.

JB - when you don't make shots and you have to drive, it becomes a hard game. We don't run set plays to get shots, cause we can't make 'em. So, we're trying to create some movement, create some drive situations, and the one thing, their two big guys are down there, it's a little harder to get there.

So, I think JB just said, ending at the 2:30 mark or so, that the SU offense is designed to make it hard to score. That explains just about everything.

Is this quote legit?

“When you don’t make shots and you gotta drive, it becomes a hard game. We don’t run set plays to get shots because we can’t make ’em."

He basically admits that we don't have any set plays because he doesn't trust anyone can hit shots? What? So not running any plays and going all iso is the better option? This is insane, if it's to be taken at face value. How is this an offensive plan or philosophy at this level?

Criticizing Tyus or Frank for not being able to score or find open teammates seems so wrong when this is what the HC has to say, no?

I apologize if this is rehashing a discussion...

No apology needed. I think it's an important conversation to have.

It’s like when Fran Franscilla was calling our game at Wisconsin and said our offense was simple. He was being nice saying we did nothing but put the ball in the hands of a player and had them make a play.
We don’t practice sets.

I bet they practice defense and then do drills and have the players do their own shooting.
I would bet you are wrong

Please describe a set we run when
Battle, Howard, Chukwu, Brissett, Moyer/Dolezaj are on the floor.
I can name one it’s the 1-4 pick and roll.
I will throw it right back to you. Name a set that would work with that group on the floor? Just one. Throw it inside to Chukwu? I would be surprised if he caught it. Let alone made a basket after that. Dolezaj, run a set to get him a open 10 footer? He wouldn't take it if he got it. And he wouldn't make it if we forced him to take it. Maybe get a layup attempt for Brissett. A talent but not strong enough to play through contact at this point. Moyer??? Don't make me laugh. Any sense of what a normal team runs on offense went out the window when TT bailed. The idea that a hall of fame coach doesn't work on offense but fans like you know what should be done is beyond ridiculous. We have a bad team this year. The Hall of Fame coach is trying to have the team succeed the only way it can. It's ugly. It isn't fun. It is what it is. We have 9 regular season games to go with this group. If the offense isn't better next year, we can talk then.

I will throw it right back to you. Name a set that would work with that group on the floor? Just one. Throw it inside to Chukwu? I would be surprised if he caught it. Let alone made a basket after that. Dolezaj, run a set to get him a open 10 footer? He wouldn't take it if he got it. And he wouldn't make it if we forced him to take it. Maybe get a layup attempt for Brissett. A talent but not strong enough to play through contact at this point. Moyer??? Don't make me laugh. Any sense of what a normal team runs on offense went out the window when TT bailed. The idea that a hall of fame coach doesn't work on offense but fans like you know what should be done is beyond ridiculous. We have a bad team this year. The Hall of Fame coach is trying to have the team succeed the only way it can. It's ugly. It isn't fun. It is what it is. We have 9 regular season games to go with this group. If the offense isn't better next year, we can talk then.
We don’t do anything different.
Why is it that hard to understand that.
You can’t run the same thing if it doesn’t work.
Plus JB contradicts himself all the time.

Please describe a set we run when
Battle, Howard, Chukwu, Brissett, Moyer/Dolezaj are on the floor.
I can name one it’s the 1-4 pick and roll.

OMG, I wish I could find that awesomely diagrammed play that the orangefan guy drew up. That would work for SURE.

Like I said, I like the one we run that's something like this. Battle at foul line extended. MD on the block same side. Howard brings the ball down top of the key, Chewy comes up and picks Howard's guy on the left side. Brissett in the corner on the left side. Battle cuts down, then reverses around an MD pick. Howard reverses the ball back to Battle for a wide open shot. That can work a couple times a game.

OMG, I wish I could find that awesomely diagrammed play that the orangefan guy drew up. That would work for SURE.

Like I said, I like the one we run that's something like this. Battle at foul line extended. MD on the block same side. Howard brings the ball down top of the key, Chewy comes up and picks Howard's guy on the left side. Brissett in the corner on the left side. Battle cuts down, then reverses around an MD pick. Howard reverses the ball back to Battle for a wide open shot. That can work a couple times a game.

and if I can take this one further, once the defense recognizes, the next step would be for Battle to not cut back up, but flash under the basket, giving Howard an easy pass for a layup/flush.

We don’t do anything different.
Why is it that hard to understand that.
You can’t run the same thing if it doesn’t work.
Plus JB contradicts himself all the time.
I'm waiting for you to tell me what they should be running? What is so hard to understand about that question. I played pt guard in high school and coached a high school team. So I guess I don't have any experience to talk about. What can this bunch run that will give us a better chance? We have no low post option. None. We have very little speed. We have lousy outside shooting. Now, if you want to blame JB for this roster. Please do. Be my guest. I hate our recruiting strategy. It's a terrible sales strategy. And that is something I am a pro at. but coaching this team??? I'll be glad when the season is over. And that is one, something I have never said and 2. i think we will win some games that will surprise a few people. And I still can't wait till it's over.

JB's quote on his radio show:
“I don’t like the dribble drive and we’re not great at it. But we can’t run sets for jump shooters. We have to get drives because we can’t shoot jump shots."

Read the rest of SWC notes on his radio program to answer a few more of your questions and comments.

Don't you believe that these players have been told by the coaching not to shoot or look for their shots but to defer to the Big 3? I am sure that the same was told to Howard Washington. In other words, one bad shot or play and you are on the bench.

Don't you believe that these players have been told by the coaching not to shoot or look for their shots but to defer to the Big 3? I am sure that the same was told to Howard Washington. In other words, one bad shot or play and you are on the bench.
I have no way of knowing. Some of those guys, would be told that by me if I was coaching.

I'd hope it's hyperbole and would guess we run some set plays, though it doesn't look like it. The general idea of not running a lot of set plays is common at the college level and beyond. It's somewhat rare for a coach or PG to actually call out a play unless they see a weakness they could take advantage of. That's fine when your base offense is capable of getting you looks. But when your base offense can't get guys open, or just doesn't exist, I'd think running a few more plays each game wouldn't be the worst idea in the world.

I'd love to see Brissett take a quick shot once or twice. He's way too deliberate with the ball on offense. It becomes so obvious what he's going to try to do.

That is a disturbing and sad quote.

JB also once said we only have a small number of plays because the players can't remember them. Somehow, when the same players are recruited to other teams, they have expanded memories.
JB once said we don't have gameday shootarounds, because one of our players once sprained an ankle during one. So, by that logic, we shouldn't have practices, since horrible things happen to backup point guards. I guess JB just thought shootarounds are frivolous and expendable. But, now we DO have them? So, when JB was 'infallible' (then) to his devotees, what is he when he reverses course? I guess they were the wrong thing to do in that time period, and prevented multiple injuries.

we have an assist/TO ratio of o.86 (again lowest in conference). either someone isn't shaking free or somebody can't find them. pick your poison.

And yet everyday we see professional coaches make terrible decisions from clock management to Jason Kidd having the bucks intentionally foul their opponent while up 4.

the offense had been stagnant for years , not 1, this year is just the inevitable culmination of incremental decay. Next year might be better but I doubt substantially

It's an odd quote. I would think that you'd run more plays to get more open looks.

"If you don't hit your shots, you can't have any set plays.
How can you have any set plays, if you don't hit your shots?"

Say it like like in the Pink Floyd song, it'll improve your mood:

:(

"If you don't eat yer meat, you can't have any pudding
How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?"

I'm waiting for you to tell me what they should be running? What is so hard to understand about that question. I played pt guard in high school and coached a high school team. So I guess I don't have any experience to talk about. What can this bunch run that will give us a better chance? We have no low post option. None. We have very little speed. We have lousy outside shooting. Now, if you want to blame JB for this roster. Please do. Be my guest. I hate our recruiting strategy. It's a terrible sales strategy. And that is something I am a pro at. but coaching this team??? I'll be glad when the season is over. And that is one, something I have never said and 2. i think we will win some games that will surprise a few people. And I still can't wait till it's over.
I posted this in another thread:

Stick Marek/Moyer in the corner.

Put Chukwu/Sidibe a few feet outside the paint on the baseline to rebound/catch a dumpoff.

Run Frank or Battle in PnR/PnP with Brissett. Whoever isn't in the PnR (Battle or Frank) is the safety valve if there's nothing there off the pick.

Those 3 initiate offense playing off each other. Moyer and Dolezaj can do somersaults in the corner for all I care. If one of those 3 get into the lane, the opposing 5 has to commit or play off and if he commits, hit PC or BS. If he plays off, take it to the hoop or pull up and let PS/BS/MD/MM crash the boards.

If all that's there is an open corner 3 for Moyer/MD, then they have to take it and that's ALLLLLL I'd have them practicing right now. Both can slash so if they don't feel comfortable with the 3, and the defender is playing off, let them slash to the basket and force the officials to make calls.

I posted this in another thread:

Stick Marek/Moyer in the corner.

Put Chukwu/Sidibe a few feet outside the paint on the baseline to rebound/catch a dumpoff.

Run Frank or Battle in PnR/PnP with Brissett. Whoever isn't in the PnR (Battle or Frank) is the safety valve if there's nothing there off the pick.

Those 3 initiate offense playing off each other. Moyer and Dolezaj can do somersaults in the corner for all I care. If one of those 3 get into the lane, the opposing 5 has to commit or play off and if he commits, hit PC or BS. If he plays off, take it to the hoop or pull up and let PS/BS/MD/MM crash the boards.

If all that's there is an open corner 3 for Moyer/MD, then they have to take it and that's ALLLLLL I'd have them practicing right now. Both can slash so if they don't feel comfortable with the 3, and the defender is playing off, let them slash to the basket and force the officials to make calls.
First, no one is going to go to the corner to guard any of those guys. Would you send any player over there to cover them? I wouldn't. And they aren't going to make them. I just don't think the object should be to have your weakest shooters shoot. But that's just me.

First, no one is going to go to the corner to guard any of those guys. Would you send any player over there to cover them? I wouldn't. And they aren't going to make them. I just don't think the object should be to have your weakest shooters shoot. But that's just me.
They won't leave them wide open because they could both just drive to the hoop like I stated they should.

Even if their defender parked himself in the lane, he's there anyway with the cluster**** offense we have right now. At least Marek or Moyer won't be in there too, further clogging up the lane.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom