JB quote on set offensive plays | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

JB quote on set offensive plays

We have very little speed.
Disagree on the speed part. We have long athletes who can run the floor. They just have no clue what to do out there.

Jim has been a poor offensive X and O coach .He has for the last 10 plus years relied on talented players who could score . He is amazing at coaching UP players on D.
He is sub par at coaching players up on
O.

Disagree on the speed part. We have long athletes who can run the floor. They just have no clue what to do out there.

I think Dasher’s right. Oshae and Tyus are fine in terms of speed but...

Last edited:
is the great coach implying we can only win with great players ? i thought truly good coaching was doing more with less .

Like beating Duke’s NBA team with John Gillon last year?

This topic was discussed the other day. Lots of H0T Takes in the thus thread.

We run plays.

This is like saying if you make your shots you will be able to drive to the basket because defenders will guard you close. If you can drive to he basket defenders will give you space to make shots because they will be afraid you will drive to the basket. Either condition opens up the other possibility.

I can't put my hands on my copy of his book, but I'm pretty sure he addresses this very topic.

If I recall correctly, he talks about a game he coached early in his career, where his team was running set plays during the first half and they were losing. So in the second half, he just let the guys play and the won by 20, so that taught him that set plays were a waste of time.

Do I really believe that because of one game, probably 35 years ago or so, with a particular group of players, against a particular team, he gave up the value of set plays? Based on watching them play for the last few seasons, yes, I can believe that.

I'm waiting for you to tell me what they should be running? What is so hard to understand about that question. I played pt guard in high school and coached a high school team. So I guess I don't have any experience to talk about. What can this bunch run that will give us a better chance? We have no low post option. None. We have very little speed. We have lousy outside shooting. Now, if you want to blame JB for this roster. Please do. Be my guest. I hate our recruiting strategy. It's a terrible sales strategy. And that is something I am a pro at. but coaching this team??? I'll be glad when the season is over. And that is one, something I have never said and 2. i think we will win some games that will surprise a few people. And I still can't wait till it's over.
So your answer is since we don't have talent don't run an offense or different sets?

So your answer is since we don't have talent don't run an offense or different sets?

The whole point of having some good offensive sets ie:
The Princeton Offense (NOT G-Town's crap version of same), is to allow less talented/athletic players to have a way to compete against better teams.

With how lacking this year's squad is on O, we could really use something to help us get some good looks/easy chances now and again.

Even if all we did was dump it to Marek in the high post, so he could quickly kick it right back to a guard (who moves quickly to one side or the other after the pass goes in, opening him up) - we could get a lot more clean looks from 3.
Llvll used to do this against our zone ALL the time, with great effect.

It ain't just this year. If it was, it would be a lot easier to accept.

I wonder what team you were watching last season, when SU had issues on defense, but had a lot of offense? When SU had Gillon, Battle, White, Lydon & Thompson on the floor? Or in 2009-10, when SU had Onouku at C, Johnson at SF, Andy Routins at SG -- and the offense was a thing of beauty in MSG vs North Carolina?

It ain't the same year to year.

my answer is no offensive sets is going to make this talent look good. I trust the guy with all of the wins and all of the experience knows what best makes this team capable of winning.

This topic was discussed the other day. Lots of H0T Takes in the thus thread.

We run plays.

I’m talking about lack of speed, especially PG. A blind man could see this.

I wonder what team you were watching last season, when SU had issues on defense, but had a lot of offense? When SU had Gillon, Battle, White, Lydon & Thompson on the floor? Or in 2009-10, when SU had Onouku at C, Johnson at SF, Andy Routins at SG -- and the offense was a thing of beauty in MSG vs North Carolina?

It ain't the same year to year.

2010 was 8 years ago. The high pnr, guard dribble until the shot clock hits 5 is not a new or personnel driven phenomenon.

It’s hard to score when you don’t have any shooters or post prescence.

my answer is no offensive sets is going to make this talent look good. I trust the guy with all of the wins and all of the experience knows what best makes this team capable of winning.

A very nice lipstick play might work.

A) Ok - Who's fault is that? More than half of the coaching staffs job is recruiting and keeping players we have in a good head space.

B) Teams with less talent than us don't look like JV level High School offenses, they just don't.

C) We don't have a good sneaker deal paying for 5-star players.

i'd wager 75 % of games are decided before tipoff. if a coach looks down his bench and finds it's not well stocked and prepared that's his fault. that's his job.

A) Ok - Who's fault is that? More than half of the coaching staffs job is recruiting and keeping players we have in a good head space.

B) Teams with less talent than us don't look like JV level High School offenses, they just don't.

I agree we don’t have the players and the that’s on JB, but none of what is happening is surprising me this year. I said we couldn’t put the ball in the Pacific from Venice Beach in August.

JB's quote on his radio show:
“I don’t like the dribble drive and we’re not great at it. But we can’t run sets for jump shooters. We have to get drives because we can’t shoot jump shots."

And yet most of our offensive sets result in contested 3 pt jump shots off a dribble. Blaming our lack of shooters is a cop out, plain and simple. Everyone shoots better with more open looks. It's also a lot easier to drive when there are some screens (no, not a high screen 25 feet away, but a screen with an expected benefit) and someone moving to the basket from another angle to keep the interior defenders from helping on the drive. Our dribble drives appear to me to be the same thing over and over - Chukwu comes out beyond the top of the key, Howard/Battle/Brissett makes a move (spin move, behind the back, etc) and goes to the hoop where 2 or 3 defenders converge on him as he either goes airborn and throws up a wild prayer or gets his shot blocked, or he passes it back outside to start over. Once the drive starts, everyone seems to stand around watching, which ironically is what the other 3 guys are doing prior to the high screen/drive.

To me, the standing around is the biggest issue with not "running an offense". There isn't any continuity and people aren't in predictable spots.

any coach looking to devise a game plan against us knows exactly what defense we'll be sitting in and exactingly who to shut down on offense. not difficult.
and to those who even 20 years later think the syracuse zone totally perplexes opponents (esp. in conference no less) give that thought a rest. they've seen it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom