JB quote on set offensive plays | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

JB quote on set offensive plays

I don't care that our offense doesn't run plays. What matters is player movement without the ball. At some point someone will be get an open look. We have to make baskets.

As JB said years ago, "Good teams win." This year's team is what it is. We need one more offensive threat to be more effective. When FH, TB, OB are not shooting well this team suffers. We need at least 2 out of those 3 to score more than 15 points to have a chance to win games. I like this year's team but they need a big win. Maybe today.

any coach looking to devise a game plan against us knows exactly what defense we'll be sitting in and exactingly who to shut down on offense. not difficult.
and to those who even 20 years later think the syracuse zone totally perplexes opponents (esp. in conference no less) give that thought a rest. they've seen it.

What makes our zone great is not that the other team hasn't seen it before. Even if they know exactly what our team is going to do on defense it doesn't matter. What does matter with our zone is ALL our players shift in unison and play aggressive on defense. Shut Em down! Elite defense comes from hard work. I'm not sure this year's team can be dubbed elite defense. They are getting better. Will it be enough????

we have an assist/TO ratio of o.86 (again lowest in conference). either someone isn't shaking free or somebody can't find them. pick your poison.
I agree here but it seems to me there is another dimension regarding the low number of assists. You need a person on the receiving end of the play that can put the ball in the basket to complete the assist. Possibly blowing this out of proportion but it seems like this team has the greatest lack of completing the play of any team playing here in a long time, maybe ever. Time and time again dropped passes, missed 1 to 2 footers or just poor shooters. All of this equals zero assists. An interesting statistic might be attempted assists but not sure how you would determine.

Is this quote legit?

“When you don’t make shots and you gotta drive, it becomes a hard game. We don’t run set plays to get shots because we can’t make ’em."

He basically admits that we don't have any set plays because he doesn't trust anyone can hit shots? What? So not running any plays and going all iso is the better option? This is insane, if it's to be taken at face value. How is this an offensive plan or philosophy at this level?

Criticizing Tyus or Frank for not being able to score or find open teammates seems so wrong when this is what the HC has to say, no?

I apologize if this is rehashing a discussion...

I don't think JB is insane. I think he is making a statement that is exactly right on. WE CAN"T MAKE SHOTS! What more evidence do you need? We shot 30 percent vs Tech, 30 per cent - that's terrible! Who are you going to set a play for at that rate? I do not think I have ever seen a poorer shooting team at SU and I have been watching them since '62. At best this is "an in between team." We should be better next year. Tyus is sporadic and he's our best shooter. A few games have been great - 4 players in double figures with Tyus scoring 20. That's where we should be. Most of the time, however, we can't count on him to run the court shoot and make the shot. So, how are you going to run set plays for him or anyone on this team without embarrassing them. On a good night when everyone is scoring, yeah, run your set plays see what happens. JB over the years has been and is brutally honest in his assessment of the team he's got on the court in any given year. This year he doesn't have scorers from outside, he admits it and driving against any team in this league isn't easy. Predicted finish: 15-16. Hope I'm wrong. :mad:

Is this quote legit?

“When you don’t make shots and you gotta drive, it becomes a hard game. We don’t run set plays to get shots because we can’t make ’em."

He basically admits that we don't have any set plays because he doesn't trust anyone can hit shots? What? So not running any plays and going all iso is the better option? This is insane, if it's to be taken at face value. How is this an offensive plan or philosophy at this level?

Criticizing Tyus or Frank for not being able to score or find open teammates seems so wrong when this is what the HC has to say, no?

I apologize if this is rehashing a discussion...
I only remember SU running set plays for 2 players. Andy Rautins curling off a screen for a 3 point catch and shoot. And dumping the ball to Carmelo on the block and getting out of his way. That's it. JB runs a free-lance offense. When he has great talent it works. When he doesn't have great talent it doesn't. We have been playing 60 point grinders for too long.

This year's offense has been bad, but I don't agree with those who say our bad offense is a trend. Looking at the numbers, that isn't the case. Here is our KenPom offensive efficiency rank for the past 10 seasons starting in 2009: 10, 6, 24, 7, 26, 28, 117, 50, 30 - and this year it's 130.

This tells us that our offense this year is awful, and also that this season is an outlier. Unsurprisingly, when we have good players our offense is good, and has been very good in a few recent seasons.

If people want to argue that we play at a slower pace now than in years past they would have a good argument. We definitely get fewer transition baskets than we used to, and I think that's what people are seeing when they say our offense has been bad in recent seasons. But the numbers do not support that we have become an offensively challenged program, at least not when you look at production on a per possession basis.

This year's offense has been bad, but I don't agree with those who say our bad offense is a trend. Looking at the numbers, that isn't the case. Here is our KenPom offensive efficiency rank for the past 10 seasons starting in 2009: 10, 6, 24, 7, 26, 28, 117, 50, 30 - and this year it's 130.

This tells us that our offense this year is awful, and also that this season is an outlier. Unsurprisingly, when we have good players our offense is good, and has been very good in a few recent seasons.

If people want to argue that we play at a slower pace now than in years past they would have a good argument. We definitely get fewer transition baskets than we used to, and I think that's what people are seeing when they say our offense has been bad in recent seasons. But the numbers do not support that we have become an offensively challenged program, at least not when you look at production on a per possession basis.
Our pace has been among the slowest in the nation.
That has led to less possessions less possessions means less empty possessions.
Our halfcourt offense has been horrible since 2012.
The defense has caused teams to have longer possessions and on offense we don’t push in transition means less possessions.
The offense can’t be relying on talent alone.

That is a disturbing and sad quote.

JB also once said we only have a small number of plays because the players can't remember them. Somehow, when the same players are recruited to other teams, they have expanded memories.
JB once said we don't have gameday shootarounds, because one of our players once sprained an ankle during one. So, by that logic, we shouldn't have practices, since horrible things happen to backup point guards. I guess JB just thought shootarounds are frivolous and expendable. But, now we DO have them? So, when JB was 'infallible' (then) to his devotees, what is he when he reverses course? I guess they were the wrong thing to do in that time period, and prevented multiple injuries.
JB doesn’t do game day shootarounds because he feels his players will be fresher mentally and physically.

i'd wager 75 % of games are decided before tipoff. if a coach looks down his bench and finds it's not well stocked and prepared that's his fault. that's his job.

Yeah, Sidibe and Washington’s injuries are totally on JB. He’s gotta do a better job of recruiting players who can avoid injuries.

th

Thank you. You’re the only one who bothers to add actual numbers to the discussion to push back on this narrative that Cuse has been bad at offense for years now. The KenPom offensive efficiency numbers show that our offense is historically bad this year and only in 2014-15 did we have an offense outside the top 50. Most years it’s been in the top 30.

JB doesn’t do game day shootarounds because he feels his players will be fresher mentally and physically.
Okayyyy. But, that's not the explanation that was given like 15 years ago.
And i thought someone said a couple of years ago that we have started 'doing them' again. Not true?

Thank you. You’re the only one who bothers to add actual numbers to the discussion to push back on this narrative that Cuse has been bad at offense for years now. The KenPom offensive efficiency numbers show that our offense is historically bad this year and only in 2014-15 did we have an offense outside the top 50. Most years it’s been in the top 30.

I mean last year we got bailed out somewhat by one of the best shooters who ever played for Syracuse.

I’m not sure how sustainable that is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom