JB really does eat at Heids | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

JB really does eat at Heids

Yikes...I haven't had one of them in a few years...maybe I should stay away from there???

Danzers has pretty decent sandwiches (the roast beef is still made in-house, I think). The rest is pretty sloppy.

just order the reuben at Danzer’s.”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sounds like my Dad. I've never seen him order anything else on the menu.

yes he does. i grew up with the owners son so i did a stint working at heids during the summer months after high school. remember coach coming in a few times and each time he was by himself, always thought he was such a loner. were talking summer of 2000 here so not sure when he met Juli.
He married Juli in 1997.

My grandmother used to live in the senior high-rise off Salina Street and whenever I was in town I would take her to Danzer's for lunch. I would bring my sister a hot roast beef sandwich.

The guy couldn't be any more authentic Syracuse...of course he eats at Heid's of Liverpool. Wouldn't be surprised if you could run into him occasionally at Columbus Bakery, Twin Trees, Brooklyn Pickle, Danzers and a host of other Old Time Syracuse joints.
You would be hard pressed to name any city of any size, including NYC that has better food than Syracuse. Bigger cities have more volume & a greater variety, but, in my opinion, I don't think any can surpass the overall quality for what IS offered in CNY.

You would be hard pressed to name any city of any size, including NYC that has better food than Syracuse. Bigger cities have more volume & a greater variety, but, in my opinion, I don't think any can surpass the overall quality for what IS offered in CNY.

Per capita, definitely. Syracuse is a terrific food town. A lot of people, old-timers and new-comers alike, don't know it.

"Overall" - no, there are too many crappy places to eat in Syracuse for that to be the case.

I will grant you that there are some terrific food places in Syracuse (I say places, because they incorporates food stands/diners like Heid's, and local hole-in-the-wall places like Eva's in Solvay). Most of the best places in Syracuse are non-chain Italian places.

But the "overall" quality of food is much better in NYC, which is probably the food capital of the world. Nearly all the ethnic food is by recent immigrants, so it's not just variety, it's authentic. It's on the ocean, so you get great fresh seafood, which you can't get in Syracuse, it's all been trucked in here from Boston or New York. Sushi in NYC is far, far better than Syracuse, pretty much anywhere you go. Syracuse only has a couple places where it's decent; none compare to NYC's average places.

"Overall" - no, there are too many crappy places to eat in Syracuse for that to be the case.

I will grant you that there are some terrific food places in Syracuse (I say places, because they incorporates food stands/diners like Heid's, and local hole-in-the-wall places like Eva's in Solvay). Most of the best places in Syracuse are non-chain Italian places.

But the "overall" quality of food is much better in NYC, which is probably the food capital of the world. Nearly all the ethnic food is by recent immigrants, so it's not just variety, it's authentic. It's on the ocean, so you get great fresh seafood, which you can't get in Syracuse, it's all been trucked in here from Boston or New York. Sushi in NYC is far, far better than Syracuse, pretty much anywhere you go. Syracuse only has a couple places where it's decent; none compare to NYC's average places.

By absolutely any metric one comes up with, New York has better food than Syracuse.

But I might quibble with the "fresh fish" thing. If "fresh" = "never frozen, was in the water recently, was trucked in from the Atlantic this morning," then Syracuse has a number of places that serve fresh fish.

Though the sushi up here is more expensive and of lower quality than any in the city, the seafood selection at other restaurants is darn good, especially considering the location.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom