JB remark | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

JB remark

Until I see this team play defense I don't see them much better than last year.

Griffin is a key there. I see Wes Johnson and Andrew White as the two different ends of the spectrum defensively for transfer small forwards.

Which end Griffin is closer to will go a long way in determining how good we are defensively. We know what we’ve got up top(though hopefully Kadary’s height will help when he’s up there), and we know Marek and Sidibe are at least decent and very experienced. Griffin’s spot is so key.

I’d be more worried If he called the team “breathtaking”.
Considering the Covid symptoms and George Floyd-itis, I tend to agree.

Griffin is a key there. I see Wes Johnson and Andrew White as the two different ends of the spectrum defensively for transfer small forwards.

Which end Griffin is closer to will go a long way in determining how good we are defensively. We know what we’ve got up top(though hopefully Kadary’s height will help when he’s up there), and we know Marek and Sidibe are at least decent and very experienced. Griffin’s spot is so key.

I've grown to learn that we need to temper freshman expectations and transfer replacements. We still lost a probable first round pick and probably the only thing thing that kept us from being a single win team in Hughes. We have a lot of work to do.

Would he consider redshirting?

Unfortunately hes one of the usually Cuse players that our fanbase pumps their tires too much and they have no interest in 4-5 years of college. Might prefer spot minutes down the stretch to a red shirt.

Surprised the usual one and done nonsense hasn’t kicked off with Kadary yet lol.
QG is already 21 and hasn’t played his sophomore season yet. His original plan was 2 and done.

redshirt doesn’t seem like an option unless he physically cannot play

QG is already 21 and hasn’t played his sophomore season yet. His original plan was 2 and done.

redshirt doesn’t seem like an option unless he physically cannot play
The whole season is a redshirt season, for all

Been away from the BB board for awhile and glad to see the positive feelings for the team. Especially good to see the props for Kadary.

I've been a Marek fan since day one and expect to see him be a force on offense. My only fear is his ability to foul foolishly. How well he does will revolve around that more than how well he is capable of on offense.
Hopefully Q will be ready when the tough games come because we'll need him.

If Richmond is as ready as everyone thinks he is, he will likely sub for both Buddy and JG.

I'm surprised there has been only passing mention of Buddy. I expect a lot out of him. We saw him start to make attempts to go to the basket last year, sometimes with decent results. I look for stronger results with that.

Griffen looks good on paper and hope he can bring it on the court.

My surprise ;pick for the year is Bourama. We've seen too many glimpses of what he is capable. I'm hoping we will see a lot more this year.

LGO

Been away from the BB board for awhile and glad to see the positive feelings for the team. Especially good to see the props for Kadary.

I've been a Marek fan since day one and expect to see him be a force on offense. My only fear is his ability to foul foolishly. How well he does will revolve around that more than how well he is capable of on offense.
Hopefully Q will be ready when the tough games come because we'll need him.

If Richmond is as ready as everyone thinks he is, he will likely sub for both Buddy and JG.

I'm surprised there has been only passing mention of Buddy. I expect a lot out of him. We saw him start to make attempts to go to the basket last year, sometimes with decent results. I look for stronger results with that.

Griffen looks good on paper and hope he can bring it on the court.

My surprise ;pick for the year is Bourama. We've seen too many glimpses of what he is capable. I'm hoping we will see a lot more this year.

LGO

If Bourana is legit “good” as a senior, in normal years I think we’re a borderline top 25 type team.

Obviously Hughes is a big loss as he was clearly our best player, but everyone else is back and we add Griffin and Kadary. Think that bumps us up a decent amount from where we were last year.

Amazing that JB says that Kadary is the most impressive newcomer (btw Griffin is a newcomer) and some think that he will average 5 pts/game or that he won't take minutes from the returning guards. Stop the nonsense guys. Kadary is very good and is going to play. Regardless of your over blown opinions of the other guards. They aren't going keep Richmond on the bench

Amazing that JB says that Kadary is the most impressive newcomer (btw Griffin is a newcomer) and some think that he will average 5 pts/game or that he won't take minutes from the returning guards. Stop the nonsense guys. Kadary is very good and is going to play. Regardless of your over blown opinions of the other guards. They aren't going keep Richmond on the bench
So you think Richmond will average more than 5ppg?

Q. You have three freshmen. Could you give an assessment of each of those guys?

JB “I think the freshmen have really been good. Jalen Carey has had to, obviously, carry more of the load early with Frank being out. But he is progressing well and doing everything we expected him to do.

Q. You have three freshmen. Could you give an assessment of each of those guys?

JB “I think the freshmen have really been good. Jalen Carey has had to, obviously, carry more of the load early with Frank being out. But he is progressing well and doing everything we expected him to do.

Very true, he has said similar things about Kaleb Joseph and Brycen Goodine. Until they get on the court we really have no idea what they can do, or if they are even going to get on the court for extended periods of time.

I think 90% of the fan base agrees with this statement, and is hopeful that JB will find a way to make it happen this season. That said, he has what seems to me (without actually researching the numbers), a growing tendency to ride "trusted" players harder and harder over the last few years. My unresearched perspective is that there were fewer players that fell into the 35+ minutes per game category in days of yore, as opposed to over the last few seasons.

I agree with this 100%. When we had elite talent, then of course you ride that guy for 36 minutes a game.

But when the guys are all "pretty good", and there may not be that much of a difference between the talent level of the guy on the floor versus the guy on the bench, give the guy on the bench a shot.

Everyone will be more on their toes, if they might actually come out of a game - and not go back in at the next timeout. Bench players will get better faster, because players don't "only" get better in practice. Being under the spotlight brings out something extra in some players, or puts a cap on the ability of others.

Competitive practices will remain that way, and players will remain motivated, if they see an actual opportunity to get on the floor. Please, please, please let's play a bunch of guys on this team - because none of them are NBA All-Stars. But we have a *bunch* of guys who are pretty good.

Fresh players make a difference.

Fresh players are less likely to get nagging injuries as the season goes on.

Fresh players are less likely to reach on defense and commit silly fouls.

Fresh players shoot a higher percentage from three than guys with tired legs.

So you think Richmond will average more than 5ppg?

The question is his minutes. If he gets 20 minutes a game, I could see 8 points, a couple assists and a steal per game. Will Buddy and Joe only play 30 minutes a game, and not 38? THAT is the question.

Buddy's legit. He's proved that. I just hope JB doesn't coach like a Little League dad and play his son all game every game again this season, even when he went through a twisted ankle and a shooting slump.

When so many guards leave all at once, you have to ask yourself why.

Honestly, he has to distribute the minutes better this year. Certain guys need to get a chance to show what they've got. Not just 10 minutes against Cornell or Lehigh, but a run of 10 games, maybe 5+ minutes a game. Players deserve a chance to grow, and this particular coach used to do a lot more of that. He always used to have a solid returning core of players.

In recent years because of so many defections, our roster management has been more hit-and-miss. It has to improve these next couple years.

JB tends to talk the team up in the offseason to create interest, talk them down early in the season to take off some of the pressure of expectation and defend them from criticism the rest of the year, (unless he's the critic).

Oh, and you can normally expect a complaint about the lack of crowd noise in about the 4th or 5th game, followed praise of our great fans. (I guess he won't get to do that this year.)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom