JB remark | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

JB remark

Griff was sold on the Hughes role. That he was going to have the ball in his hands ALOT. I'm not saying Marek wont be involved heavily but Griff is going to do a lot of the heavy lifting. Also, he starts day 1 at the 3
You guys are putting a lot of stock in Griff. He’s a good player but is not going to be a focal point of offense like many of you think

Griff is definitely not the creator or passer Eli is. I do think he will get 12 shot attempts a game, which I’m sure was sold to him. Marek will have the ball in his hands more, but I think Griff will have enough PT and shots to make him happy

You guys are putting a lot of stock in Griff. He’s a good player but is not going to be a focal point of offense like many of you think
He avg 9 ppg in 18 mins that's why the excitement. He doesn't have to the focal point.

If Richmond deserves minutes and can play the wing or up top on D he could be the back up for Griffin, Buddy & JG3. That could lead to 15+ minutes for Richmond even with those 3 all playing 30+.
How about 35+?

Obviously it all depends on Richmond giving productive minutes. I will say that it wouldn’t surprise me one bit if he plays around 20 minutes with Griffin and Joe Closer to 30.
That would shock me. But, I am here for it.

Griffin starts too.

Is this a situation of the stats dont tell the full story in regards to Griffin ?

Can he really be that Hughes type scorer ? His stats at Illinois didnt tell that but neither did Hughes at East Carolina.

Is this a situation of the stats dont tell the full story in regards to Griffin ?

Can he really be that Hughes type scorer ? His stats at Illinois didnt tell that but neither did Hughes at East Carolina.
I wouldn't expect him to do what Hughes did last year. But the stats don't tell the full story he only played 18 mpg last year.

Marek will be starting and will be playing a ton. Zero percent chance hes coming off the bench. He’s this years Elijah

G_d help us if that's the expectation.

I believe this is the best team in a long time. Kadary is legit. Jesse is going to play a solid amount this year and not sure if I shared this here but JBs message to Marek - “everytime you touch the ball, try and score. If you don’t, you’re coming out” ... I want Marek to have long leash and green light. This team thrives if he does what he’s been doing In practice
I was hoping this would be the case. There is a lot of experience returning—and you can’t discount that in college basketball. I believe most of our guys will make a leap. I have been bullish on Kadary since he played so well and looked so good at Brewster, especially in their end of season tourneys. There are a few big questions in my mind: Can this team really improve on defense (our Achilles heel last season...KenPom numbers were awful)? That said, I think the offense, like last season, will be very good and efficient. Is Bourama ready to take the step he seemed to take at the end of last year, especially on defense? Do we have a decent backup at center who can protect the rim and patrol the paint, either with Jesse, Frank or a smallish Marek? It would be amazing if Edwards could give us a solid 5-10 minutes.

Last edited:
Richmond will get limited minutes given who is in front of him, and we have griffin.
Lol, I like Girard and Buddy but they’re not some superstars who need to play 40mpg. JB will find minutes for Kadary.

Last edited:
Lol, I like Girard and Buddy but they’re not some superstars who you need to play 40mpg. JB will find minutes for Kadary.

I think 90% of the fan base agrees with this statement, and is hopeful that JB will find a way to make it happen this season. That said, he has what seems to me (without actually researching the numbers), a growing tendency to ride "trusted" players harder and harder over the last few years. My unresearched perspective is that there were fewer players that fell into the 35+ minutes per game category in days of yore, as opposed to over the last few seasons.

Richmond and Guerrier off the bench.
Which I think will be a very good bench. Could be similar in production to when we had Scoop and Kris Joseph as our key bench players and they both won 6th man of the year awards. But it sounds like it’ll depend on QG recovering from his surgery. Sucks that he’s missing this development time.

Griff is definitely not the creator or passer Eli is. I do think he will get 12 shot attempts a game, which I’m sure was sold to him. Marek will have the ball in his hands more, but I think Griff will have enough PT and shots to make him happy
I think the hope is that Griffin can replicate Elijah’s redshirt sophomore year production where he was the designated shooter but also showed off *some potential* as driver and facilitator—and then make a significant leap in those areas as a senior.

I think 90% of the fan base agrees with this statement, and is hopeful that JB will find a way to make it happen this season. That said, he has what seems to me (without actually researching the numbers), a growing tendency to ride "trusted" players harder and harder over the last few years. My unresearched perspective is that there were fewer players that fell into the 35+ minutes per game category in days of yore, as opposed to over the last few seasons.
When Boeheim has a young team--as he had last year and often in recent years--he'll always have them on the court as much as he can cuz he needs his best five, and best seven, to have the experience playing together they need in the few months they have available to become competitive against the best five of other teams. Consider that to be written in stone for JB.

Some fans complain he doesn't go deep enough into his bench to give those players more PT but JB knows that every minute he gives an 8th or 9th player is a minute he's not giving to his key seven who need as much time playing with each other as possible if they've going to be worth a damn by the end of the season. All the players need PT, but JB's greatest concern is that his starters the PT they desperately need when he's got so many new players to work into the starting line up.

That being said, it's clearly less of a priority when he returns an experienced team so he can better afford to spread the minutes around, which is what I expect this year. I fully expect Buddy's and Joe's minutes to drop to get Kadary on the court and to enable more intensity on defense over the course of the game. Maybe 8-10 deep, depending on how good the new guys are when they're on the court...

When Boeheim has a young team--as he had last year and often in recent years--he'll always have them on the court as much as he can cuz he needs his best five, and best seven, to have the experience playing together they need in the few months they have available to become competitive against the best five of other teams. Consider that to be written in stone for JB.

Some fans complain he doesn't go deep enough into his bench to give those players more PT but JB knows that every minute he gives an 8th or 9th player is a minute he's not giving to his key seven who need as much time playing with each other as possible if they've going to be worth a damn by the end of the season. All the players need PT, but JB's greatest concern is that his starters the PT they desperately need when he's got so many new players to work into the starting line up.

That being said, it's clearly less of a priority when he returns an experienced team so he can better afford to spread the minutes around, which is what I expect this year. I fully expect Buddy's and Joe's minutes to drop to get Kadary on the court and to enable more intensity on defense over the course of the game. Maybe 8-10 deep, depending on how good the new guys are when they're on the court...
great post. I agree. But I think the most you can expect next year is 8 deep, but only if one of the backup centers proves he can be trusted to know the defensive rotations and can patrol the paint adequately.

QG still isn’t healthy. He’s just doing standing shooting right now. If his injury keeps holding him back Kadary will be the 6th man.

Would he consider redshirting?

Unfortunately hes one of the usually Cuse players that our fanbase pumps their tires too much and they have no interest in 4-5 years of college. Might prefer spot minutes down the stretch to a red shirt.

Surprised the usual one and done nonsense hasn’t kicked off with Kadary yet lol.

Would you prefer to sit in the 300s where some may see it as a true fan experience, or down with the rich folk courtside eating hotdogs with a fork and and domefoam with your pinky out? This will show if you're truly a Hulkster.

Of course I would prefer to sit courtside. Been to the dome enough basketball game wise closest ever sat was in the 200s so yeah mostly was always sitting in 300s. So yeah I would love to be able to sit courtside for a game.

Would he consider redshirting?

Unfortunately hes one of the usually Cuse players that our fanbase pumps their tires too much and they have no interest in 4-5 years of college. Might prefer spot minutes down the stretch to a red shirt.

Surprised the usual one and done nonsense hasn’t kicked off with Kadary yet lol.

Hopefully they let everyone in the tourney this year. If that’s the case, we won’t need him until February.

So, this being Buddy’s third year, by your thought process, we should see his minutes drop from last year. Put me in the I’ll believe it when I see it group.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom