JB sure chewed out Gillon | Syracusefan.com

JB sure chewed out Gillon

Dave85

Living Legend
When I saw the play live it looked like the guy fouled Gillon and they called the foul on Gillon. I thought JB was yelling at the refs. But he then really laid into Gillon. It didn't look like he did anything wrong to me. And his stat line in the box score was his worse so far as an Orangeman. I hope it was justified and not something that is going to affect Gillon's enthusiasm in any way going forward. I hope Gillon keeps the good stats going. JB can be rough to players at times!

:bat:Sometimes it looks like JB is chewing on a player when he really just wants to emphasize a point

They asked JB about Gillon in the post-game presser and he said the guy had nine assists in eighteen minutes last game and that he's not worried about John because he's a good player.

A few minutes after he got chewed out, we noticed him hunched on the bench with his shirt pulled over his head. Maybe it was a towel. I thought he could be crying! After a minute, one of the other players reached over and pulled on the shirt a little and patted his shoulder. At that point he pulled it back from his head and looked like he tried to watch the game. :(

A few minutes after he got chewed out, we noticed him hunched on the bench with his shirt pulled over his head. Maybe it was a towel. I thought he could be crying! After a minute, one of the other players reached over and pulled on the shirt a little and patted his shoulder. At that point he pulled it back from his head and looked like he tried to watch the game. :(
I hope you were seeing things. Not what I would expect from a fifth year senior who signed on to play for a coach with a 40 year track record.

Gillon was totally checked out of the huddle in the next timeout, at first standing a couple body lengths away from the huddle and then sitting down the bench looking in the other direction.

I don't point that out to be critical of him; Boeheim took another one too far. Gillon got body-checked and was separated from his dribble, and Boeheim had just sent him in to replace Frank after Frank committed a careless turnover. Boeheim thought he was sending a message, but it was the wrong play to use as an example.

This is the same Coach Boehiem that criticizes other public figures for their perceived errors ?

Don't mean to pile on - but JB was a little too critical of TT last night too. Mainly about his defense - which is certainly fair. But TT is a true frosh in his 3rd game and played SPECTACULAR on 1 side of the court. Give him his due credit.

This sort of thing always bothers me. I think this is one of the most important benefits of having alumni assistant coaches - hopefully they're in their ears pumping them back up and explaining how to take HCJB (and how to respond) when he does this.

When I coached, I would remind players,"I am not yelling, I am coaching."

I noticed that in the first half when #12 was guarding Gillon that Gillon decided to lean right into him while dribbling going down the court. I did this eons ago when I was ticked at some little pesky guard trying to impede my ability to go right, also hoping for a call. I didn't get the call either.

This was in the 2nd half. I was surprised at how upset JB was but I wonder if he was ticked that he was heading right into the coffin corner, the corner on the sideline in front of the end of SU's bench. He did finally get fouled but as a point guard heading down the sideline to the corner with your head down isn't the best place to initiate the offense. #12 had steered or goaded Gillon to where he wanted him to go not the best spot for the team. I don't know if JB had brought it up at half time but JB's reaction was more demonstrative than I expected.

Thought for sure JB was winding up on the ref for like the 4th bad call in a row. But no. Going off on a grad school transfer on what was a bad call is bad form. Gillon didn't react well to it. Why would he?

Thought for sure JB was winding up on the ref for like the 4th bad call in a row. But no. Going off on a grad school transfer on what was a bad call is bad form. Gillon didn't react well to it. Why would he?
He totally bounced back. They all know this season is special

I thought JB was upset with Gillon for trying to force pace when it wasn't there on that play, which is why the TO happened.

And I would like to point out that JB seems to have a lot of loyalty from the majority of his former players who he no doubt has yelled at worse than he did JG last night.

Cheers,
Neil

The biggest factor that determines the reception and effectiveness of a coach laying into a player like Boeheim did is the intent of the coach. Boeheim does it to make sure his point sticks, to ultimately make the player better. Some other coaches do it out of ego and just like yelling to feel important. As long as the players understand why JB yells, which I suspect they do, it's all gravy. They'll be embarrassed in the moment, but that's kind of the point.

I thought it was 'hysterical' — JB neeeding to 'send a message' to a 5th year player for a turnover. It was only his second TO, and I believe his was the middle of the second half... Had to sit the guy to make a point?

I watched from 104 and JB did lay into him pretty good. Gillon then got up and walked to the end of the bench, took a drink and walked back to his seat as JB said something to him again. During the following time out Gillon walked around the players shaking his head.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom