JB sure chewed out Gillon | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

JB sure chewed out Gillon

For all of us who go to the game, let's be sure to make special noise for Gillon on Tuesday! I am sure he will give us good reason.

BTW, the crowd applauded and cheered virtually every player when they came out of the game throughout the entire game. A smallish crowd, but quite enthusiastic about the team.

i hope i don't start reading posts about "turned on" gillon and "turned off" gillon. the wee (darby) kid is a player and i'm glad he's here.

i hope i don't start reading posts about "turned on" gillon and "turned off" gillon. the wee (darby) kid is a player and i'm glad he's here.

Glad he's here...Gillon is amazing!! I just don't want him to take getting chewed out by JB to hard. I still don't understand what he did wrong.

I suspect Gillon has been yelled at by a coach before.

This is what i call "binocular psychoanalysis". Looking at a guy on the bench and deciding what's going on in his mind. :crazy:
I agree. In every post-game presser, JB has nothing but praise for Gillon. A lot of people make presumptions about what the coach or player's intentions are and what they are thinking. This without knowing exactly what it was about or what was said. Imho, people are hypersensitive about the body language they saw on tv or hearing that a player got yelled at. They surmise an entire scenario of cause and effect and future events just from this.

I find most of the posters on here are pretty level-headed about it. They know JB and they don't assume. But every once in a while we get these extreme reactions to a post that only has part of the story (not saying this is the case here). I think we live in a world of reactionary communication. Without much contemplation and maybe without even realizing it, we post in a way that will garner an emotional response and we reply with sudden emotion and swift condemnation.

And now I'm probably way off topic.

Gillon is awesome and JB knows it. He's coaching his team right now.

Yes, but you never miss an opportunity to snark on JB, do you?
You never miss an opportunity to whine about a perceived slight of a coach... How about you discuss the matter at hand... What about this gets you so upset? Needed to single me out? Mind your own yard. Since you seem to be so concerned with tracking my opinions, maybe you can tell me when was the last JB-snark I've posted. I think it's been a while, but, I dunno – you prolly have the statistics at hand.

I suspect Gillon has been yelled at by a coach before.

This is what i call "binocular psychoanalysis". Looking at a guy on the bench and deciding what's going on in his mind. :crazy:
Yes, and I'm sure Gillon was shocked...shocked, I tell ya', that JB would talk to him in such a manner! I'm sure many " vapors were caught" as he tried to figure out where the shy, reserved, & silent JB he'd known these past few months, had gone to.
The poor dear...let's hope he recovers before the season ends and he can contribute to this team. I say the program needs to examine whether "safe places" should be made available to players who undergo the wrath of Boeheim! :rolleyes:
Seriously, if this bothered Gillian as much as some want to suggest, then he's too thin skinned to be here. Better we find out now then in some 2nd round matchup in March, trying to fend off some Cinderella. :noidea:

Gillon played for Larry Eustachy a couple years at Colorado State. I think he probably yelled a time or two. I think John will recover.

Yes, and I'm sure Gillon was shocked...shocked, I tell ya', that JB would talk to him in such a manner! I'm sure many " vapors were caught" as he tried to figure out where the shy, reserved, & silent JB he'd known these past few months, had gone to.
The poor dear...let's hope he recovers before the season ends and he can contribute to this team. I say the program needs to examine whether "safe places" should be made available to players who undergo the wrath of Boeheim! :rolleyes:
Seriously, if this bothered Gillian as much as some want to suggest, then he's too thin skinned to be here. Better we find out now then in some 2nd round matchup in March, trying to fend off some Cinderella. :noidea:
Maybe Gillon was offended that some players on the team could score baskets in their own goal and not get dressed down like that. #Doublestandard

Relax, folks. In a matter like this CBB follows the Mafia rule- it's not personal, it's business. JB rarely lays into a player on a personal level (when he does you know unequivocally) he is reacting to an action, or situation that he didn't like. Most likely JB was so vehement because this was not the first time Gillon committed whatever error JB was reacting to. Just my two cents.

Last edited:
It wasn't the first time in the game where he decided to not start the offense. He's the point guard. Coming down the court and going one on one is not what is expected by the coach. I was happy the coach set the tone. Against Monmouth it might not matter, but when they start to play better teams every possession needs to be valued.

When I coached, I would remind players,"I am not yelling, I am coaching."

Double posting is such a cheap way to get extra likes.

ripping up someone on the bench i got no problems with. take it like a man. ripping someone up in post pressers... well that's just wrong.

ripping up someone on the bench i got no problems with. take it like a man. ripping someone up in post pressers... well that's just wrong.
images

I felt badly for Gillon but I assume that he will recover nicely and that he might even learn. Look how Coach laid out Roberson last year and how great he is doing this year.

To paraphrase a blessing from the middle ages, "All is well, all shall be well, and all manner of basketball things shall be well."

I thought it was 'hysterical' — JB neeeding to 'send a message' to a 5th year player for a turnover. It was only his second TO, and I believe his was the middle of the second half... Had to sit the guy to make a point?
Guy had like 800-1 assist to TO ratio. JB can be so obvious sometimes.

I don't have a problem with a coach yelling at a player, just don't do it so fervently.

'Nother thing that bothers me is when other players make a mistake and......nothing. Different standards for different players doesn't cut it.

Wonder if Gmac got chewed out today or this week.

Why, did he sit in Boeheim's seat on the bench? Or did he dribble with his head down while recruiting?

As for that play, JB reacted like someone had kidnapped his kids or something. The anger was far beyond his striptease session against Duke, even though the clothes stayed on this time. Just facts, I won't make the mistake of having an opinion.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom