Jb trashes Kenpom in presser | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Jb trashes Kenpom in presser

Yeah? Maybe? I'm old enough to remember that Brycine Goodine Jalen Carey Kaleb Joseph were going to be the next big freshman who would right the ship.

The recruiting forums are chock full of posts promising greatness in the next batch of freshmen.

Well Richmond has size, is physical and is far more a true PG than anyone you crossed out. First PG that reminds of the last one who took us very far in Gbinije and even he wasn't really a PG.

Not saying he is the savior to Cuse hoops but if we are specifically talking impact recruits, there is nothing to indicate he will fail to fit that bill and more on the side he will be one.

Well Richmond has size, is physical and is far more a true PG than anyone you crossed out. First PG that reminds of the last one who took us very far in Gbinije and even he wasn't really a PG.

Not saying he is the savior to Cuse hoops but if we are specifically talking impact recruits, there is nothing to indicate he will fail to fit that bill and more on the side he will be one.
Anyone find it ironic that our best recruits last name is richmond?

Hey, Jim wasn't yelling at me citing KenPom this time! I did pull Buddy's numbers on Synergy and teams attack him over 13 percent of the time, which is the most on the team. I think Girard is around 11 percent and no one else is above 6 if I remember correctly. Buddy also grades into the 25th percentile defensively which is by far the worst among the regulars. I think JG is the next closest at like 31 percent.

The percentile grades are based on points per possession and Synergy pays a lot of money for people to sit there and watch play-by-play, which is why NBA and college teams pay a lot of money to use it.

I have seen teams do exactly this with my own eyes.

There have been numerous times when guys CLEARLY were like
"I'ma take this slow white boy to school", and then did.
Repeatedly.

Now - is that because his D is poor?
Or because they're feeling more confident vs. Buddy?
(HE CAN'T GUARD ME!)
Or some of both?

Why would JB tell say Villanova's Gillespie and Bey play 40 minutes a game "hard as (bleep)" when it takes me about 10 seconds to check the game logs and discover JB is full of (bleep)?
Yeah, that was stupid... neither guy has played the full 40 minutes of a non-OT game this entire year, so it was weird that he referenced them (when there are plenty of other people he could have chosen that do often play all 40 minutes).

I get why he doesn't believe them.

For his entire career part of his competitive edge has been his intuitive sense for the game and what matters. It was a trait unique to him and his brain. There's absolutely zero way he could explain why certain things were true about basketball, they just were, and it was self-evident and known to him. And those facts manifested themselves in his winning record.

Now, some nerds come along and have cracked that code. Add on to it that analytics just kinda seem punitive and feel like the stats want to be a dick to players depending on the story told with them, and then it's his son under the microscope, and some dissonance sets in, because the thing is - that intuitive Boeheim sense is fully aware of Buddy's limitations, but in his calculus, he's decided on the net Buddy is worth it, and that's what matters, how the math gets you there doesn't. But certain analytics look at things much more granularly, and part of Boeheim's wizardry is that he can cut to the chase on all of that. And he doesn't really want to deal with your crap, Pomery and Synergy, because sure, maybe you have some analytical insights... but you don't win basketball games like Jim Boeheim does. Andohbythewayleavemysonoutofthis.

I think that's where he's coming from, and I get it.

I identify with this at work so hard. I get so much flak for doing stuff differently then others cause the numbers say we need to staff this many people for this many hours. I go off a lot of intuition that I can’t really explain but we typically get results. When it doesn’t work I get in trouble. I under

15 teams in the ACC . 5 starters per team. 5 x 15 = 75 . we got 4 in the top 25 mpg (including #2 and #3.)
sorry not everybody does it jimbo. this is your own misguided philosophy. are you trying to convince us or yourself it's normal when you spout this nonsense ?

Let me ask you this, Jimbo -- who is responsible for this team not being good enough? Who is responsible for these players not being talented enough to compete?
I bet if he knew how important it was to you he'd say "I have to recruit better" or something like that after every single game we lose.

Well maybe JB should educate the reporters since he always seems to know who to bench when one of our players gives up an open 3. Hint: it’s never buddy’s fault.
JB has always blamed certain players for zone breakdowns and absolved certain others. Not all of the absolved players were his blood relatives.

I get why he doesn't believe them.

For his entire career part of his competitive edge has been his intuitive sense for the game and what matters. It was a trait unique to him and his brain. There's absolutely zero way he could explain why certain things were true about basketball, they just were, and it was self-evident and known to him. And those facts manifested themselves in his winning record.

Now, some nerds come along and have cracked that code. Add on to it that analytics just kinda seem punitive and feel like the stats want to be a dick to players depending on the story told with them, and then it's his son under the microscope, and some dissonance sets in, because the thing is - that intuitive Boeheim sense is fully aware of Buddy's limitations, but in his calculus, he's decided on the net Buddy is worth it, and that's what matters, how the math gets you there doesn't. But certain analytics look at things much more granularly, and part of Boeheim's wizardry is that he can cut to the chase on all of that. And he doesn't really want to deal with your crap, Pomery and Synergy, because sure, maybe you have some analytical insights... but you don't win basketball games like Jim Boeheim does. Andohbythewayleavemysonoutofthis.

I think that's where he's coming from, and I get it.
Best and most accurate post on JB ever

:gavl’d:

I bet if he knew how important it was to you he'd say "I have to recruit better" or something like that after every single game we lose.

He would never say that because then that would be an admission that he did something wrong. Which is totally against what he has done in the past. Nothing is ever his fault. Yet this situation that I outlined in a new thread just posted is directly on his shoulders.

I identify with this at work so hard. I get so much flak for doing stuff differently then others cause the numbers say we need to staff this many people for this many hours. I go off a lot of intuition that I can’t really explain but we typically get results. When it doesn’t work I get in trouble. I under
Yup, it happened in my career. Early on there was some OttoinGrotto special sauce I brought to one company. In the past few years, a handful of tech companies have figured out my recipe. Personally, it was kind of crappy to see. Net, the world's a better place though. They distribute the skill I used to train on and drill far more widely and effectively than I ever could as one person at one company.

So he was mad someone pointed out that Buddy is bad on defense?

I think he was mad that they pointed out buddy is bad on defense based on where teams were scoring and taking shots. They don't really take into account the in game instructions given for rotations of the zone when a pass or screen is made. They just say hey he shot it here so they're scoring on him. The zone rotation can change so much from a responsibility perspective that in a way its not fair to blame one player.

That said, It's obvious teams give Buddy a lot to look at and they pick his spot to launch attacks which makes him slow to react on pull ups. Since he isn't exactly fleet of foot it compounds it further. If he has an off game scoring wise it's hard to justify him being in the game.

Why should that matter? I think it’s more disturbing that some people have excel spreadsheets tracking posting patterns.
No one needs a spreadsheet to keep track of this stuff, just a functioning brain.

Why would JB tell say Villanova's Gillespie and Bey play 40 minutes a game "hard as (bleep)" when it takes me about 10 seconds to check the game logs and discover JB is full of (bleep)?
Interesting that he mentioned that guerrier was the one guy who was tired. Probably b/c he's one of the only guys on the team going all-out whenever he's on the floor. Others pace themselves to last for 40 minutes.

As a side note, maybe no one else cares about this, but I can't stand when he interrupts reporters in the middle of their question.

Sometimes I wish someone would say Jim, go ahead and get the burp out. We'll wait and we won't judge.

I liked his little shimmy and shake when he says "a lot of stuff has been written" at the 1:45 mark.

He would never say that because then that would be an admission that he did something wrong. Which is totally against what he has done in the past. Nothing is ever his fault. Yet this situation that I outlined in a new thread just posted is directly on his shoulders.
I haven't heard him accept blame much, either. On the other hand, I don't often hear other coaches make that kind of admission during press conferences.

I haven't heard him accept blame much, either. On the other hand, I don't often hear other coaches make that kind of admission during press conferences.

They're a different, eccentric, self-loving, self-loathing breed. It's a fascinating segment of individuals that, lucky for me, I get to work directly with on a day-to-day basis.

It's a relatively new thing for Jimmy to never let a reporter finish a question, right? I don't recall that move 3 or 4 years ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom