Jb trashes Kenpom in presser | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Jb trashes Kenpom in presser

I think he was mad that they pointed out buddy is bad on defense based on where teams were scoring and taking shots. They don't really take into account the in game instructions given for rotations of the zone when a pass or screen is made. They just say hey he shot it here so they're scoring on him. The zone rotation can change so much from a responsibility perspective that in a way its not fair to blame one player.

That said, It's obvious teams give Buddy a lot to look at and they pick his spot to launch attacks which makes him slow to react on pull ups. Since he isn't exactly fleet of foot it compounds it further. If he has an off game scoring wise it's hard to justify him being in the game.

Ah yes, this is JB's rationale to a T...affording him the wiggle room for his justification of sorts. Like if Buddy, Joe or that type player from yesteryear who rushes up a quick ill-advised shot and air balls it or misses badly, immediately afterwards sending JB in a tizzy screaming or yanking out Sidibe, QG or similar type for not being in position for the rebound, or in position to stop the ensuing jail break fast break that resulted for the opponent. ;)

I swear its not a big deal. Buddy isn't good on defense. The stats back this up.
JB doesn't need to be thin skinned about facts.
Buddy gives us offense. If we had a good defensive PG it would help.
The problem is Girard and Buddy together are terrible defensive backcourt.

When Buddy played the wing against Wake Forest he wasn't that bad defensively.
The problem we have is JB thinks he has to play his starting 5 as much as he can. If players didn't get tired this would make sense but players get tired. We need to just accept this and fans are going to complain because our coach does it his way and that is sports fandom.

There is a reason professional sports teams place monitors on all their players for practices and games. They can analyze data and can decide how many snaps a player is good for. Everyone loses explosiveness and energy at some point. Even look at the 3 point contest. Players generally become less effective and get less height on there jump shots the longer they shoot. Jimmy is the only one in America that doesn’t believe people lose energy and are less effective the more they play. Look at our last 4 minutes in games this year. I’m sure we have been out scored by close to 200 points.

So, the guys at the top of the zone get attacked the most? Who knew?
That's not what the Synergy statistics are showing. I mean, who knows what stats got the old man's sock garters in a twist, but the synergy stats reported by TNIAAM show that Buddy and JGIII are poor defenders relative to the rest of the league not that they get attacked the most.

Getting ugly but the bar got lowered so much in November and December that fans were thrilled we became a .500 ACC team.

Buddy is only a problem because of JB. He’ll never move him to the 3 to guard a bigger guy even though he’d do much better trading size for quickness. And he’s not going to add a grad transfer who will take minutes from Buddy. We’re screwed if Hughes leaves.

That's not what the Synergy statistics are showing. I mean, who knows what stats got the old man's sock garters in a twist, but the synergy stats reported by TNIAAM show that Buddy and JGIII are poor defenders relative to the rest of the league not that they get attacked the most.

Here's how the Orange breaks down. Percentage of shots attempted against is first and the percentile they fall in is second. Obviously small samples come into play big time for some of them. Overall the Orange ranks in the 54th percentile. Numbers also won't add up to 100 because Synergy doesn't always assign a primary defender to a play if there isn't one or if it isn't clear enough.

Boeheim: 13.3 | 25th
Girard: 11.3 | 31st
Hughes: 5.7 | 49th
Dolezaj: 5.6 | 75th
Sidibe: 4 | 46th
Guerrier: 3.9 | 36th
Goodine: 2.2 | 27th
Washington: 1.5 | 99th
Edwards: 1.5 | 98th
Carey: 0.5 | 100th

Edit: Probably worth noting that percentiles are based on points per possession allowed. So I could be wrong here, but guards/wings probably grade out lower because they give up more 3s while bigs typically don't. The percentiles are not broken down by position.

Here's how the Orange breaks down. Percentage of shots attempted against is first and the percentile they fall in is second. Obviously small samples come into play big time for some of them. Overall the Orange ranks in the 54th percentile. Numbers also won't add up to 100 because Synergy doesn't always assign a primary defender to a play if there isn't one or if it isn't clear enough.

So Marek's our only legit defender.

Well Richmond has size, is physical and is far more a true PG than anyone you crossed out. First PG that reminds of the last one who took us very far in Gbinije and even he wasn't really a PG.

Not saying he is the savior to Cuse hoops but if we are specifically talking impact recruits, there is nothing to indicate he will fail to fit that bill and more on the side he will be one.

ummm... 90+% of the next 6400 guard minutes are already allocated. Is JB going to play Richmond at the 3?

Edit: Probably worth noting that percentiles are based on points per possession allowed. So I could be wrong here, but guards/wings probably grade out lower because they give up more 3s while bigs typically don't. The percentiles are not broken down by position.
JBs point was right. If Q leaves the perimeter too early and starts to head to the corner, leaving the shooter open, and Buddy is on that side of the zone and heads towards that shooter, who is open and hits the 3, I imagine that counts against Buddy even though Q may have bailed on the shooter too early. Those stats are probably not very accurate for a zone team.

the point still stands that our perimeter D is terrible but I’m not sure why JB addressed it like he did

JBs point was right. If Q leaves the perimeter too early and starts to head to the corner, leaving the shooter open, and Buddy is on that side of the zone and heads towards that shooter, who is open and hits the 3, I imagine that counts against Buddy even though Q may have bailed on the shooter too early. Those stats are probably not very accurate for a zone team.

the point still stands that our perimeter D is terrible but I’m not sure why JB addressed it like he did

I actually reached out to Synergy for a response to his claims and tweeted it out for those interested. They take the rotations/switches/slides into consideration when assigning the primary defender. Obviously can't be perfect, but there's a reason all the NBA teams and many college teams pay $6,500 a year for Synergy.

ummm... 90+% of the next 6400 guard minutes are already allocated. Is JB going to play Richmond at the 3?

I mean I hear you but if a team that is barely above .500 is already going into next year with minutes pre allocated then why even bother ? If Richmond is good enough and that is to be determined still as I also noted then you think JB keeps him benched no matter what?

If we lose Washington and Jalen then Richmond is basically battling Goodine for the third guard minutes. If no Hughes then the 3 spot behind Quincy is an open competition between Braswell/Newton and then if they can't cut it you end up running smaller anyways with Buddy or Richmond if Q isn't running 40 a night.

Obviously Marek will be out there a lot and center depends on bringing in Tape and how things go with year two of Jesse and Ajak.

Back to Richmond, he has tools no one on the current roster has. Size and PG skills as a tall guard and the ability to beat his man with the dribble and finish in traffic. Hughes has some of that but he isn't a PG. Again we will see but I think even Jimmy would put a guy on the floor who can help us win over sticking with a .500 crew.

Honestly though the more I think about it the more convinced I am that Buddy should play the 3 predominantly his last 2 years. Hes got the height. Get someone quicker up top with JG3.

I actually grabbed Baylor at 30 to 1 right before the Kansas game in January. I also have Houston at 100 to 1 which I think is a steal.

I just get confused when i watch a team lose over and over again like those three and still not drop in the rankings.

Big Ten is powerhouse conference this year, quality teams top to bottom. (Don't let RF see this because he very much disagrees and we can't start that again)

Big Ten is powerhouse conference this year, quality teams top to bottom. (Don't let RF see this because he very much disagrees and we can't start that again)

B1G is very deep this year, no doubt. But OSU and MSU have no business being in the top ten. They've each lost 9 games and have looked pretty blah doing it. Kansas or Baylor would run either one of them off the floor.

Getting ugly but the bar got lowered so much in November and December that fans were thrilled we became a .500 ACC team.

Buddy is only a problem because of JB. He’ll never move him to the 3 to guard a bigger guy even though he’d do much better trading size for quickness. And he’s not going to add a grad transfer who will take minutes from Buddy. We’re screwed if Hughes leaves.
Players don't "guard" players in the zone. They defend an area. The areas overlap so that you can defend an overload, disrupt a hot shooter or run a trap. The opposing coach can move anyone into a specific area so no matter where he moves Buddy, it can be attacked. The key is to have enough good defenders that overlap with poor defenders so there is a better chance to cover any lapses.

I see kenpom's top ten with Ohio State, WV and Michigan State in it. Yikes. Hard to take it too seriously. Those three don't deserve to be in anybody's top 20.
It’s not his opinion. It’s efficiency metrics.

Hey, Jim wasn't yelling at me citing KenPom this time! I did pull Buddy's numbers on Synergy and teams attack him over 13 percent of the time, which is the most on the team. I think Girard is around 11 percent and no one else is above 6 if I remember correctly. Buddy also grades into the 25th percentile defensively which is by far the worst among the regulars. I think JG is the next closest at like 31 percent.

The percentile grades are based on points per possession and Synergy pays a lot of money for people to sit there and watch play-by-play, which is why NBA and college teams pay a lot of money to use it.
He’s not wrong in his critique. But Who gets the sense that JB has been told these numbers by the assistants in meetings and this is similar to how he reacts? He’s taking it personally now because Buddy is a weak defender and he knows it.

Last edited:
It’s not his opinion. It’s efficiency metrics.

I know that. Maybe they're efficient but neither of those two are anywhere near the top ten best teams in the country.

JB thought the media was insufferable and gave him a hard time when we used to lose 6 games in a season. He's getting more crotchety now that his teams regularly lose 13 games a season. And this year it's likely to be more than that. When you lose there's a lot of tough questions and criticism. If you want to avoid it, recruit better players.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom