JB: "We don't have another option" | Syracusefan.com

JB: "We don't have another option"

All American
This is going to be the theme of the season. We are going to live or die by the 3. Fortunately, we have enough shooting threats to spread the floor, and guys who seem to know how to move the ball to get open looks. The bad...No inside scoring threat...AT ALL. Big problem. On the positive side, I think this team could be very good on the break, IF we can control the D boards. But, rebounding will be another challenge all season.

I hate to say it, but DC is not going to be much of factor on either end. I realize he is coming off a 2 year hiatus, but I have a feeling what we see now is what we are going to get on most nights.

MR looks like he could be the best player on the court, if he isn't already. Kaleb looks good - I don't think JB is going to want to take TC or G off the floor very often, and this will impact Kaleb the most. Too bad, I think this kid can be a factor.

We will know very soon how good this team is, or is not. It will be interesting.

This is going to be the theme of the season. We are going to live or die by the 3. Fortunately, we have enough shooting threats to spread the floor, and guys who seem to know how to move the ball to get open looks. The bad...No inside scoring threat...AT ALL. Big problem. On the positive side, I think this team could be very good on the break, IF we can control the D boards. But, rebounding will be another challenge all season.

I hate to say it, but DC is not going to be much of factor on either end. I realize he is coming off a 2 year hiatus, but I have a feeling what we see now is what we are going to get on most nights.

MR looks like he could be the best player on the court, if he isn't already. Kaleb looks good - I don't think JB is going to want to take TC or G off the floor very often, and this will impact Kaleb the most. Too bad, I think this kid can be a factor.

We will know very soon how good this team is, or is not. It will be interesting.
I don't know if I would go that far. DC hasn't played in close to three years. It is going to take time. Maybe he can't be a factor but I don't think we know that at this time.

I don't know if I would go that far. DC hasn't played in close to three years. It is going to take time. Maybe he can't be a factor but I don't think we know that at this time.

That's a fair point - of course we don't "know." Just offering an opinion as to how this might play out for a player with DC's limitations combined with coming off a significant medical procedure. I hope I am dead wrong on this.

Good post. There seem to be a few posters actually embracing the low post problem as a good thing. Bizarre.

It's death if it doesn't get better.

Concur. A decent rebounding team, with some size thrown in, will demolish us on the boards. Hard to overcome that stuff - not like we're going to get anyone on the other side in foul trouble with regularity.

Good post. There seem to be a few posters actually embracing the low post problem as a good thing. Bizarre.

Yeah, it's a tragic flaw for most teams. We play in a league filled with in your face, pressure defenders and systems. When those teams don't have to worry about providing weak side help to the post, or doubling down on entry passes, they will try to suffocate outside shooters. The counter will be to spread the floor with 4 shooters and, of course, make the open looks you do get.

Silent G is our best player and it is not close.
MR has an adequate handle but it could be better. If his handle ever catches up to his shooting he will break some ankles on opposing teams. He is not there yet.
DC will improve. This was a tough match-up for his first real game. He has been dominant among his peers but he now has to do some catching up. I would not write him off so fast.

Concur. A decent rebounding team, with some size thrown in, will demolish us on the boards. Hard to overcome that stuff - not like we're going to get anyone on the other side in foul trouble with regularity.

We could see a record number of offensive putback slams on us. Always embarrassing to see but I have a bad feeling those might be a regular occurence.

Rebounds and turnovers will be key to getting more field goal attempts then your opponents unlike today, and that is very key.

I agree with JB that it does play to our strengths. We really lack a true PG, we have a bunch of combo guards. Kaleb has the prototypical size of a point, but even he's more scorer than distributor. Frank may be our truest PG but he looks to be the odd man out for now.

In theory, I have zero issue with shooting 30+ 3s a game.

In practice, I am a little concerned about how we get the 3s we get. After the initial action on our offense sets, a lot of our productivity is contingent on individual creation/isolation. So if we continue running the same stuff we do, a lot of our looks are going to be off the dribble (right off the bat reduces your expected FG%) and/or heavily contested.

I wonder what will happen when we run it fast down the floor, whip it to Lydon, and without hesitation he takes a shot? All of his hesitations and uncertainty messed him up. Would JB want him to do that? Why not let him try? Either pass it or shoot it, Tyler! There's a good boy.

He also said during, and to close the PC "This doesn't look like a good win now, but it is." When the real TRob returns, and DC shakes off some rust, they should be able to eek out 20 wins. If the shooting is even above average, they will be a tournament team. I think we saw he of the fragile psyche TRob last night, and once he learns his role and works out the chemistry with the young guns, he can be the difference maker we need him to be. JBs quote on TRob "I didn't see much tonight." Biting his tongue the whole time...

He also said during, and to close the PC "This doesn't look like a good win now, but it is." When the real TRob returns, and DC shakes off some rust, they should be able to eek out 20 wins. If the shooting is even above average, they will be a tournament team. I think we saw he of the fragile psyche TRob last night, and once he learns his role and works out the chemistry with the young guns, he can be the difference maker we need him to be. JBs quote on TRob "I didn't see much tonight." Biting his tongue the whole time...
I like TRob, think he can do a lot of good things. But i think as the season progresses we may see that Lydon is an even better ball player than TRob...

Our offense has to adjust to get our bigs more involved. Way too much popping out for the three instead of tight curls around our bigs. Our bigs might not be great posting up, but they can roll off the tight curls and get some easy buckets. Teams will have to hedge on our shooters, opening up the roll for Coleman, Roberson and Lyndon. I was encouraged last night with Chino and Lyndon. They both did some good things. With them and Coleman and Roberson, we do have more bodies than I thought. I have no problem with Chino fouling out. Officials watched for screens all night. Our bigs got some touchy fouls on screens, while Leigh's guards handchecked all night.

Most of our turnovers in the second half were Leigh playing our passes because they didn't think our guards would drive. Richardson's led to about 6 easy points. Kaleb is the only guard who will consistently attack the basket. Every time Silent G penetrated he left his feet. Good teams will draw charges all day. A couple of things I came away with last night is that Lyndon is going to be very good and G and Cooney will never come out of the game. The latter is bad news.

Our offense has to adjust to get our bigs more involved. Way too much popping out for the three instead of tight curls around our bigs. Our bigs might not be great posting up, but they can roll off the tight curls and get some easy buckets. Teams will have to hedge on our shooters, opening up the roll for Coleman, Roberson and Lyndon. I was encouraged last night with Chino and Lyndon. They both did some good things. With them and Coleman and Roberson, we do have more bodies than I thought. I have no problem with Chino fouling out. Officials watched for screens all night. Our bigs got some touchy fouls on screens, while Leigh's guards handchecked all night.

Most of our turnovers in the second half were Leigh playing our passes because they didn't think our guards would drive. Richardson's led to about 6 easy points. Kaleb is the only guard who will consistently attack the basket. Every time Silent G penetrated he left his feet. Good teams will draw charges all day. A couple of things I came away with last night is that Lyndon is going to be very good and G and Cooney will never come out of the game. The latter is bad news.

Lots of good points there, hoops, especially the last paragraph. Spoken like the former coach I know you to be.

I would like to see the pick and roll with TR or Lyndon, but I'm not so sure we should give DC that pass if he needs to make more than 1-2 dribbles to get to the rim. It's just not his strength. What I can see, especially with teams that hedge hard and early (like most of the ACC), is Lydon becoming more of key. He can roll, or he can also screen and step back for the jumper (most effectively at the 3 point line). Once teams try to adjust to that, it will open up more space for the shooters.

high school all star games

Gotcha. I don't think I caught too many of those, but recall that he was said to play well. Good footwork, hoops IQ, passing.

Lots of good points there, hoops, especially the last paragraph. Spoken like the former coach I know you to be.

I would like to see the pick and roll with TR or Lyndon, but I'm not so sure we should give DC that pass if he needs to make more than 1-2 dribbles to get to the rim. It's just not his strength. What I can see, especially with teams that hedge hard and early (like most of the ACC), is Lydon becoming more of key. He can roll, or he can also screen and step back for the jumper (most effectively at the 3 point line). Once teams try to adjust to that, it will open up more space for the shooters.
Lydon looks like a straight up baller. He's the kind of guy that plays on championship teams.

We could see a record number of offensive putback slams on us. Always embarrassing to see but I have a bad feeling those might be a regular occurence.
and our centers fouling in the process.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom