JB with Adam Schein | Syracusefan.com

JB with Adam Schein

Such a great interview. Lasted 30-40 minutes. JB is so relaxed and at ease. He said his main role with SU is fundraising. He mentioned a couple times fundraising for NIL and he mentioned facilities once. He even hit up Schein for some NIL money donated to one of the collectives and Schein agreed.

JB said he will be doing some things to help the program but he will not be attending practices. He also said he wouldn’t be going to games but I think he’ll be in a box on occasion. Said he talks to Red a lot and almost every day. As usual he had a lot of insight and opinions on the state of college basketball and going forward. Talked some about NIL and the portal.

He didn’t say for whom or doing what but he mentioned having a media contract. Also said he has already gotten an offer to coach overseas but he’s not interested. It’s a good listen if you have the time.

I love that he's fundraising and involved with NIL... but ^^^this^^^ is probably for the best
I get it but man you run a program for 47 years and then have to watch the games from home. I know it's JB's decision to stay away but is it really necessary that he can't be in a box somewhere in the Dome watching from afar. Red was his associate head coach. Hard to believe I will see more SU hoops games live next year than JB.

I get it but man you run a program for 47 years and then have to watch the games from home. I know it's JB's decision to stay away but is it really necessary that he can't be in a box somewhere in the Dome watching from afar. Red was his associate head coach. Hard to believe I will see more SU hoops games live next year than JB.

I bet still he still watches from a box

I don't see any reason why he can't go to games. That just seems silly. But I do think it's for the best if he stays away from practice to give Red every chance to be successful on his own.

I don't see any reason why he can't go to games. That just seems silly. But I do think it's for the best if he stays away from practice to give Red every chance to be successful on his own.
Maybe he just wants to lay low and give Red some space. No need for camera shots of Jim at games so that the media can speculate on every grimmace or twitch, etc. I don't think he said he can't go to the games, just that he won't. Give Red some time to coach and then when they are back to winning big games, Jim can show up and cheer.

Last edited:
He should not be at practice unless Red invites him. No question there.
Definitely, but he already admitted he was having trouble getting motivated to go to practice this past season when it was still his job to do that. So hopefully he'll like that part of retirement that he doesn't have to anymore and it won't be a problem.

Definitely, but he already admitted he was having trouble getting motivated to go to practice this past season when it was still his job to do that. So hopefully he'll like that part of retirement that he doesn't have to anymore and it won't be a problem.

I believe that was said TIC

If Red hits a rough patch and ESPN or AACN starts panning shots to Boeheim in his box during games... that's when it can start getting touchy...

He goes to every football and lacrosse game. I bet he will be in a box somewhere for basketball.
Very odd that he wouldn't have a box for basketball. What else is he going to do during the winters?

He should not be at practice unless Red invites him. No question there.
Monthly calls, ok maybe. I'm more uneasy at the thought that Red is calling Jim every day for advice. Time to spread your wings, Red.

Not sure how many folks out here can relate to this at this time, but I have been retired for over 20 years and there are many days I have "trouble getting motivated" to even sort through posts on this board. You very quickly fall into the zone "if I don't get to it today, maybe I will get to it tomorrow"!

Not sure how many folks out here can relate to this at this time, but I have been retired for over 20 years and there are many days I have "trouble getting motivated" to even sort through posts on this board. You very quickly fall into the zone "if I don't get to it today, maybe I will get to it tomorrow"!
I've been retired almost 20 years, and I can't wait to greet each day and its new adventures. We just returned from a trip to Southeast Asia, and we're busy planning a new one to Japan. And my traveling companion (who lives in Florida) played nine holes of golf before 9:30 this morning.

To each her own, I guess.

I've been retired almost 20 years, and I can't wait to greet each day and its new adventures. We just returned from a trip to Southeast Asia, and we're busy planning a new one to Japan. And my traveling companion (who lives in Florida) played nine holes of golf before 9:30 this morning.

You’re a different breed, CTO. If I make it to retirement age I’m not doing chit unless that chit includes yelling at HC Jimmy the third’s coaching

I greet every morning wishing I was retired.

And then yell at the morning because I’m not.

I've traveled domestically for work a lot and the wife and I rarely vacation. That said our plans are to make up for lost time once we hit late 40s.. fingers crossed. Personally I can't imagine not getting out and enjoying every moment of being away from the rat race.

Monthly calls, ok maybe. I'm more uneasy at the thought that Red is calling Jim every day for advice. Time to spread your wings, Red.
He didn't say Red is calling him every day for advice. He said they have talked "every day just about".

He works in the same building... of course they talk.

I love that he's fundraising and involved with NIL... but ^^^this^^^ is probably for the best
It might be painful (and distracting) for him the first season or two, but I imagine he’ll eventually go to games, like Roy does at UNC. Once Red gets the program cooking again, then he won’t be a distraction and he’ll probably attend games. Take the Coach K approach the first year or two.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom