JB Would Rather Lose His Way... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

JB Would Rather Lose His Way...

Yeah, but he was the asst Olympic coach. He also was nice enough to take Hop with him for the end of last summer. How many priority recruits committed early?? I still think someone should have been tending to the new team on campus and recruiting instead of the Olympic boondoggle. This team is heading the way of the football team. Two runs up the middle, incomplete 3rd down pass and punt. We are going to play a field position game and hope for the best...lol I vote for change.
Well, that's two threads you've posted that post and I haven't read them all yet.

I've always stepped back from the edge after a sustained duration of poor play or being mediocre because I had faith JB would change or evolve. He did what he had to do after the James Thues/Greg Davis recruiting class. He committed to getting superior athletes with length for the zone after the 07/08/09 teams leading to the 2010 and 2012 teams.

I have been worried about an all-Cuse coaching bench. I don't really like it.

JB either needs to make some serious changes to the coaching staff, which I don't think he can do with Hop taking over soon, and, also, attempt something different on the court.

The man is a world-class college basketball coach. But the program has to remain bigger than he is, no matter if he has been the living embodiment of the program for four decades. I don't want to see the game pass him by.

Bingo! Clean house. Well, maybe not clean house, but this strategy seems to not be working out so well for us.

After starting 25-0 in 2014, we finished 3-6. Then we lost 13 games in 2015, and then 14 games in 2016. We will most likely lose more than 14 games this season.

You wouldn't categorize this as a sinking ship?
In the big picture, nope

Was it luck Michigan State lost to MTSU? You wouldn't think that if roles were reversed. You would be praising Izzo for another miracle run in March. This is a beyond idiotic post. Even for your standards.
Post of the year

Battle, Lydon, and Thompson will be here next year. That's 3 guys we should be able to win with. Now we have no PG, but the cupboard isn't completely bare.
I will be very surprised if Lydon returns.

This team is lazy in every facet. Pushing the ball, finishing, rebounding, face guarding, moving to the shooter. Lazy is as lazy does.

Battle, Lydon, and Thompson will be here next year. That's 3 guys we should be able to win with. Now we have no PG, but the cupboard isn't completely bare.

They'll each have to bring their absolute A game for us to be good. Outside of them there's nothing else on the roster.

Whomever the third guard is going to be is probably going to be really really bad and you're getting FH for 30+ minutes.

If Lydon does leave, we're looking at a season where we may be predicted to finish below .500.

Yeah, but he was the asst Olympic coach. He also was nice enough to take Hop with him for the end of last summer. How many priority recruits committed early?? I still think someone should have been tending to the new team on campus and recruiting instead of the Olympic boondoggle. This team is heading the way of the football team. Two runs up the middle, incomplete 3rd down pass and punt. We are going to play a field position game and hope for the best...lol I vote for change.

Spotted the dude who hasn't watched the football team in a decade.

roby playing well is a start. i would suggest white not starting but come off the bench. whether or not he gives you 20+ is not relevant if he does not hustle, and plays such bad d, and they will key on him anyway.is it logical to do this??? no, but nothing else is working. starters at this point should be lydon,tt, roby,gilon and battle. i had hoped for howard but he maybe better off the bench, as is coleman
jim insists on starting white, which would be fine if he could play d and fit in.
we have to find a way to make the d work, that is the only way the offense will work,with such poor guard play, is off the turn over and pressure on d. if we have to run a set offense we are in trouble. we never have been good at that .
ok i am ready for the why would you not start your best scorer,that is stupid replies. i don't blame anyone who says that. just please give an alternative

If Jim Christian had our guys at BC and JB had the BC players, I think we would have lost by more. There's something horribly wrong from the top all the way down.

Yeah...4-5 different lineups with a total of 7 players in the lineup change. JB doesn't use a bench and doesn't change from the zone. He will never change that philosophy because he is like all old people...status quo is the best direction. Old people hate change on any daily functions.
as an old person,i particularly hate change when it comes to urination regularity.
check back with me when you get older, and let me know how your prostate is making out. let me know if you like change then;)

Spotted the dude who hasn't watched the football team in a decade.
That FB philosophy of the 2 runs and bubble screen is what killed us 10 years ago. Remember?? Point is...that is the slide that started us to the hole we are in today in FB. I know minor blips and wins popped up on the radar occurred. Stock market trend overall??? Downward for Fb. I don't want to see BB experience the same fate.

I don't think it's the accomplishment that's being discredited. We had talent on that's team and a starting backcourt that had a total of 9 years in our system. We had a great run in March, but the road into March was enough to have our eyes open on the future and where we're heading than 4 games in March.

I don't have a problem saying we have problems from a recruiting, coaching and personnel standpoint. I do have a problem with the posters who suddenly say the final four was complete luck. Those same posters come on this board and slobber about how great a coach Izzo is when his 7 seeded teams make the final four. They even start threads on it. Not speaking about you, just the posters saying last season was lucky are the usual posters you see in the annual Izzo threads.

They'll each have to bring their absolute A game for us to be good. Outside of them there's nothing else on the roster.

Whomever the third guard is going to be is probably going to be really really bad and you're getting FH for 30+ minutes.

If Lydon does leave, we're looking at a season where we may be predicted to finish below .500.

Don't forget Moyer

Don't forget Moyer

Ehhhhh. Never really was a big fan of his game. Nothing really stands out about him.

We also have 6 (if Lydon comes back) that can play the 4/5 next season.

I don't have a problem saying we have problems from a recruiting, coaching and personnel standpoint. I do have a problem with the posters who suddenly say the final four was complete luck. Those same posters come on this board and slobber about how great a coach Izzo is when his 7 seeded teams make the final four. They even start threads on it. Not speaking about you, just the posters saying last season was lucky are the usual posters you see in the annual Izzo threads.

This is definitely fair.

I've definitely looked to Izzo as a great model for college. He prepares his team for March. Early season be damned.

And, unless you are in the Duke/UK strata for recruiting, I think that's a great model. You have to be prepared to win six in a row, and, really, three 2-0 pods.

I think the FF last year seems a bit less significant because of how mediocre we've been, record-wise, since our 25-0 start.

In the past, it seems mediocre years were the aberration and any tourney success was due to us having a superior coach.

Now, it seems reversed. We have had sustained mediocrity with an aberration of the FF run.

Now, that may still not be fair. But I'm also on an Internet message boards for die hard SU fans and have been for almost 15 years, so I'm not always the most rational person, I guess.

It was referred to as luck and implied JB deserved no credit. This wasn't directed at you.

With probation, early entries, and a couple of recruiting misses on top of a coach who is 72 we are the sum of those parts.

On the court we have:

One combo guard who isn't that bright
One pg who is the height and weight of a middle schooler
A 23 year old stand still shooter on his 3rd school
A frosh with a bum wheel at the other guard
A bunch of 4 and 5s (one is a black hole of bad habits, 2 highly skilled, and one guy who doesn't understand his role)

It takes a lot of things to happen for a school like SU to end up in this situation

Eh, player development has been somewhat spotty - that hasn't helped. If Joseph is serviceable at this stage it probably covers up a lot of things. I have no idea why he's gone though - I'd still rather have that kid on the roster than Gillon, but oh well. He's probably better than whatever Frank Howard has turned out to be as well.

Otherwise, we just plain suck at recruiting guards. Blame that on the zone or whatever, but we do. Our offense is putrid most years. Wish we had gone in another direction with assistant coaches....but it's never really obvious how much blame falls on them either.

Bingo! Clean house. Well, maybe not clean house, but this strategy seems to not be working out so well for us.

Be careful what you wish for. The assistant coaches may be the only thing that holds this team together until next year.

Be careful what you wish for. The assistant coaches may be the only thing that holds this team together until next year.

lol...I wouldn't actually clean house. Just working through my emotions! Although we probably need a Troy Weaver type.

lol...I wouldn't actually clean house. Just working through my emotions! Although we probably need a Troy Weaver type.

I don't mind if Hop stays but I really want to see the coaching staff revamped.

Bring in a big man coach, bring in a guard coach and bring in a recruiter.

I'd really like to see one of the guys from the west coast, far too much talent out here for us to ignore on a yearly basis.

One concern I do have with Hop is his age. He seems quite spry for 50, how much does he have left in the tank for all of this?

I don't mind if Hop stays but I really want to see the coaching staff revamped.

Bring in a big man coach, bring in a guard coach and bring in a recruiter.

I'd really like to see one of the guys from the west coast, far too much talent out here for us to ignore on a yearly basis.

One concern I do have with Hop is his age. He seems quite spry for 50, how much does he have left in the tank for all of this?
Hop possibly would be very smart to bring in an extremely qualified #2 and pay him a shtload to lure him here. Would be brilliant because if the #2 makes a shtload then by default so would Hop

Agree with your post except the last part, how would Hop not have a good 15 yrs left at his age?

Agree with your post except the last part, how would Hop not have a good 15 yrs left at his age?

Not saying he won't and if we're just going to recruit regionally it won't be an issue. Now if we recruit nationally without a doubt it could have an effect on him because of his age.

Ehhhhh. Never really was a big fan of his game. Nothing really stands out about him.

We also have 6 (if Lydon comes back) that can play the 4/5 next season.

The kid hasn't played a minute of college ball and you are writing him off.

Do you have days that you even like yourself?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom