JBs Performance tonight | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

JBs Performance tonight

Name another option? Carey is not ready. Who else Braswell who has played about 8 mins since December?
He's not ready? Same nonsense Jimmy B has been saying about all his freshman for 10 years, singlehandedly ruining their confidence. I didn't hear anybody say Jalen Carey wasn't ready when he averaged 20 PPG in our two games in the Garden. Garbage excuse and if anything, JB is the reason these kids aren't ready.

Yeah he coached a pretty piss poor game.

1) There were multiple stretches where Brissett was on the floor just giving the ball up/playing dumb when Marek was on the bench.

2) Also don’t know why we continued to do pick and roll with Battle and PC. Should have been Battle and Marek.

3) Kept PC in the game too long down the stretch when Marek was on the bench. Should have taken out PC a few minutes earlier

4) when we went to the press Carey should have come in for Buddy and thought that was fairly obvious. Carey is quicker and scrappier.

5) thought Carey should have come in for minutes here and there for Buddy in the second half. Nothing was working for Buddy on offense or Defense. Couldn’t have been worse with Carey in there, who knows he could have been a spark.

6) To sum up everything I don’t think we made any adjustments in the second half. We tried the press which caused some trouble but we couldn’t capitalize. Baylor was giving us the game for the taking which leads to my last point where we were just gassed at the end. All of our shots were coming up short meaning dead legs. Thought we went to the press a little too early. 5 minutes left we went to it...should have gone to it with 3 or less considering we had a short bench and we were only down 4 when we went to the press with 5 minutes left...strange.

Even hall of famers have bad games and that’s exactly what happened. Still could have and probably should have won that game.

Last edited:
battle-hughes-marek-OB-chukwu = best 5 -

that lineup never played 1 minute together.

Hughes hasn’t played the top of the zone all year. Also how could u know that’s our best lineup if they have never played together lol. Cmon.

Dumbest thing I’ve ever heard. He doesn’t need to go. He just needs to coach better.
How likely is that?
Other than Alan Arkin, who gets better at anything after age 70?

1) There were multiple stretches where Brissett was on the floor just giving the ball up/playing dumb when Marek was on the bench.

2) Also don’t know why we continued to do pick and roll with Battle and PC. Should have been Battle and Marek.

3) Kept PC in the game too long down the stretch when Marek was on the bench. Should have taken out PC a few minutes earlier

4) when we went to the press Carey should have come in for Buddy and thought that was fairly obvious. Carey is quicker and scrappier.

5) thought Carey should have been come in for minutes here and there for Buddy in the second half. Nothing was working for Buddy on offense or Defense. Couldn’t have been worse with Carey in there, who knows he could have been a spark.

6) To sum up everything I don’t think we made any adjustments in the second half. We tried the press which caused some trouble but we couldn’t capitalize. Baylor was giving us the game for the taking which leads to my last point where we were just gassed at the end. All of our shots were coming short meaning dead legs. Thought we went to the press a little too early. 5 minutes left we went to it...should have gone to it with 3 or less considering we hadn’t a short bench and we were only down 4 when we went to the press with 5 minutes left...strange.

Even hall of famers have bad games and that’s been exactly what happened. Still could have and probably should have won that game.

Tbh this is a great post. Pretty much sums everything up. I didn’t hate going to the press at 5 mins since it worked s but but like you said we just couldn’t capitalize. Thus the breaks and on to next year. Looking forward to some roster turnover. All we need is a big and I think we’ll have a real solid squad.

How likely is that?
Other than Alan Arkin, who gets better at anything after age 70?

Huh? I mean he coached a bad game, it happens. Not often with JB though. Besides he’s not going anywhere so I’m not wasting any more of my time discussing that.

5) thought Carey should have been come in for minutes here and there for Buddy in the second half. Nothing was working for Buddy on offense or Defense. Couldn’t have been worse with Carey in there, who knows he could have been a spark.

6) To sum up everything I don’t think we made any adjustments in the second half. We tried the press which caused some trouble but we couldn’t capitalize. Baylor was giving us the game for the taking which leads to my last point where we were just gassed at the end. All of our shots were coming short meaning dead legs. Thought we went to the press a little too early. 5 minutes left we went to it...should have gone to it with 3 or less considering we hadn’t a short bench and we were only down 4 when we went to the press with 5 minutes left...strange.

Even hall of famers have bad games and that’s been exactly what happened. Still could have and probably should have won that game.

PC against a team this size and the way they shot was less than useless.

Tbh Carey was just as bad on offense as buddy. Thought his D was better though and I know he’s lightning quick so not sure why we wouldn’t have him in when we press. Again that’s on JB. That’s why I think this is one of his worst performances.
I don't disagree. You have to play Buddy in a game like this and hope that his offense eventually makes up for his lack of defense. Tonight it did not. The good news is we don't get humiliated by Gonazaga as Baylor will.

of course I love JB.

been a syracuse fan my whole life - since the 80s...

but i really wonder if he has lost a bit of the sharpness...

to me it just feels like he has his formula and that's it.

he makes micro-adjustments -but they are always the same ones...and they don't seem to be working that well - especially this year.

the game is evolving and he is not. he's devolving into an automaton.

charles barkely said every team needs its style of play and formula in the pre-game - but does that mean you just play the same way and dont change? even if it means you are not going to win?

i mean it was clear to me that some of the things they were trying to do wouldnt work but they just ried them anyway.

and the second half was horrible.

you are at altitude...didnt seem like they even game-planned at all for that fact.

didn't seem like there was much attention to detail at all this year...

instead it is just a formulaic recipe - plug and play - comes off as lazy to me...that or out of touch with whats going on...idk

I don't disagree. You have to play Buddy in a game like this and hope that his offense eventually makes up for his lack of defense. Tonight it did not. The good news is we don't get humiliated by Gonazaga as Baylor will.
Agreed. JB should have recognized he wasn’t on and what was happening on D. Prob thought he’d shoot himself out of it which never happened.

Maybe the worst game I’ve seen him coach. The fact he just let buddy get abused all night on D while giving us absolutely nothing on offense was a killer. Every time down they attacked him. He’s going to be a good player for us and I’m a fan but he shouldn’t have played 40 mins. Huge reason we lost.
He had the nice play at the end of the half to cause a TO. He pressed and got a few turnovers. The team sucked on defense all year and there was no depth at PG and center. The team collapsed at the end of the game. What else can he do?

Hughes hasn’t played the top of the zone all year. Also how could u know that’s our best lineup if they have never played together lol. Cmon.
for this game. with this roster - minus frank...i woulda rode with hughes at the 2 instead of buddy

He has his 7, and plays his 7, all other circumstances be damned.
That’s why we’re always one injury, suspension, or unforeseen circumstance away from a flushed season. There is no backup plan: just 2-3 zone and 7 man rotation. When it works, and it has the majority of the 40+ years, it can be magic. When it doesn’t, whether due to chemistry, injuries, bad luck or whatever, we get nights/seasons like this. Rinse and repeat.

He's not ready? Same nonsense Jimmy B has been saying about all his freshman for 10 years, singlehandedly ruining their confidence. I didn't hear anybody say Jalen Carey wasn't ready when he averaged 20 PPG in our two games in the Garden. Garbage excuse and if anything, JB is the reason these kids aren't ready.

I don't think JB unduly favors Buddy, but it was foolishness not to do some offense/defense subs with Carey tonight down the stretch.

Felt more like our HOF coach fell asleep.

That’s ugly.
If you want another ugly stat... 70 losses over the last 5 seasons. Program hasnt done that since 1958-1963, long before Jimmy B ever graced the sidelines. Jimmy has become worse in his old age than Roy Danforth. Yikes. And we wonder why we can't get a good big man, or a highly rated recruiting class.

To be fair to JB, How many times has Buddy done nothing, but in a matter of seconds knocks down a couple of threes.? I think he was just hoping it might happen again. Unfortunately, it didn’t happen tonight. He said in the post conference that his freshman guard hurt us on defense.

of course JB likes it when buddy plays. the quick hook and stern look never once was applied.

Let's see. So each team was playing zone for a while. Baylor's zone was getting torched and they switched to man..and we couldnt score against it.

we, however, unable to do anything but play zone, couldnt switch out of it and get them out of their rhythymn

Ill never understand why we have to play 100 percent zone. i get it.. we are a zone team..but geez..this game sure illustrates the value in being able to switch it about a bit in crisis.

It was a borderline genius move for many years, but times change.

It’s fair to suggest its time to re-evaluate things on that end.

If it wasn't for them gosh darn sanctions we win this game going away.

But cue the video of JB riding around in the convertible flipping the bird to the NC2A.

That hasn't aged very well, has it?

Seriously?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom