JBs Performance tonight | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

JBs Performance tonight

Eh, JB's philosophy has always sort of been, play defense or sit.

Buddy got abused. Repeatedly. Endlessly.

If you can't coach JC into not driving, and just doing some ball control, by this point in the season, knowing the gravity of the situation, I don't know what we're even doing.....the kid doesn't appear to be some out of control maniac. We managed to teach Frank to never even try to go inside the three point line. Can't we just have an in-between option...only go in when it's safe, or something???? Like "stranger danger," if you see a stranger, don't cross over that three point line PG, if you see no strangers, then no danger PG, drive it to the hoop - just don't give it to OB, because he'll miss.

Carey just happens to lose the ball every third dribble once he gets inside the three point line. Which is odd, but perhaps no odder than OB's innate ability to miss every gimme shot known to man, or Tyus's innate ability to know where the three point line is and stick a toe in front of it, or Hughes ability to suck in the second half of games, or Chukwu's ability to......eh, whatever. This team was such a headache.

Jim’s coaching tonight was just like buddy’s offense and defense. Nonexistent.

Carey should have gotten significant play time tonight and throughout the season
Buddy is one of the brightest spots of the season. Carey has struggled badly when given a chance. I’m not sure what else to say.

I think the Baylor game was pretty much how this season was headed from the get-go, and how the program in general has been grinding for years, and comes as absolutely no surprise. Static defense, static offense, huge scoring drought at a critical time, opponent rains in threes, short bench, few adjustments and so we are out with a first round loss. This routine has become the norm and it feels like the days of being a top-twenty team is receding in the rear-view mirror. We have some serious structural issues and the powers that be need to start addressing them- no action is the worst kind of action.

Buddy is one of the brightest spots of the season. Carey has struggled badly when given a chance. I’m not sure what else to say.
Buddy had a few good games and a few decent ones. Carey on the other hand was dominant when given significant time although he regressed when Jim started giving him crap minutes.

we, however, unable to do anything but play zone, couldnt switch out of it and get them out of their rhythymn

That's an important point...getting a hot team out of its rhythm.

Baylor did it to the Orange...although it seemed with all those 2nd half short shots that hit the front rim that Syracuse may have had some tired legs as well.
But the only way we ever try that is with a press.

Buddy sucked tonight, both offensively and defensively. But there were no other options available. Howard's suspension put the team in a hole.
Maybe but if your Jalen who gets pulled fairly quickly, watching Buddy have free reign last night, tough to swallow. And Buddy has been good, last night he needed some pine time.

That's an important point...getting a hot team out of its rhythm.

Baylor did it to the Orange...although it seemed with all those 2nd half short shots that hit the front rim that Syracuse may have had some tired legs as well.
But the only way we ever try that is with a press.
And why, aside from the altitude, did they have “tired legs”? Could it be the predictable lack of a bench that’s become a trademark of JB’s coaching MO? Was Carey so turrible that he deserved the spirit and confidence crushing treatment he got this year? Or is/was JB so wedded to a certain way of operating, that flexibility is no longer an option.
I will ride or die w/ JB- he’s earned that. But long after he’s gone, I’ll question the insistence on the 2-3 no matter what, and the utter lack of developing a bench during a season. JMHO

Last edited:
To be fair to JB, How many times has Buddy done nothing, but in a matter of seconds knocks down a couple of threes.? I think he was just hoping it might happen again. Unfortunately, it didn’t happen tonight. He said in the post conference that his freshman guard hurt us on defense.

to be candid, this wasn't a game where we were searching for guys to make shots. We were getting offense so I don't think he was justified in leaving Buddy in hoping he'd make a couple like he has been justified in doing in other games this year where there has been no offense.

We got killed at the top of the zone by Mason between his shooting and being able to get into the zone. I think at least two times in the first half he drove down the center of the zone like it was a parade route with noone in his way.

My comments aren't intended to take anything away from Buddy or suggest that Carey is better or should have had more playing time than Buddy. I am simply saying Buddy should not have played 39 minutes yesterday. Players, especially young ones, have bad games and bad matchups. When that happens the head coach needs to make an adjustment. Giving Buddy a couple of blows on the bench might have helped him turn the page, if nothing else he would have been more rested for the stretch. In the last 3 - 5 minutes our guys looked like they were on fumes, every shot was short we couldn't keep up with the offense when we were on D. Really disappointing.

Last edited:
Mason was playing hurt and we couldn't exploit him. Especially on offense in the second half. Otherwise I agree with most of the takes on here. Lazy game plan. Sub-par effort on defense. Elijah saved us in the first half, and no one stepped up enough in the second half.

There is no excuse that this team didn't run a deeper bench all season, we needed to speed up the game. Press for 4-5 minutes a half.

It's not the players fault if none of em are made ready to contribute by seasons end.
So it's not Carey's fault he makes the same mistake EVERY time he plays. EVERY time.

I think that both Buddy and Carey got abused last night. At least Buddy knows to not turn the ball over every time he touches it.

I think that both Buddy and Carey got abused last night. At least Buddy knows to not turn the ball over every time he touches it.
Carey didn’t have a chance to get abused, but I’ll take great defense with the occasional freshman mistake on offense. Over the getting abused every defensive possession with no offense and occasional freshman mistakes.

Carey didn’t have a chance to get abused, but I’ll take great defense with the occasional freshman mistake on offense. Over the getting abused every defensive possession with no offense and occasional freshman mistakes.

Occasional TO? He is a PG who turns the ball over frequently. I think Carey will be good. He just wasn't good this season.

You mean you didn’t watch the early season when Carey was actually playing as FH was out? MSG ring a bell?
To call Jalen's performances "dominant" at MSG are revisionist history. 26 points against UConn, sure, but that was negated somewhat by 6 turnovers and 0 assists. Oh yeah, and we lost that game to a crappy team and trailed by 10 + points for the majority of the 2nd half. The next night against Oregon was a little better - 14 points and only 2 turnovers (but only 1 assist). But you do know that we trailed by more than 10 points for the last 22 minutes of that game, right? Can someone be dominant in a game that their team is never a legit threat to win?

I'm definitely not giving up on Carey... I wish that a) Boeheim had found a way to use him more throughout the season, and b) that Carey had played well when he did get his chances. Because for the most part, he did not do that this year, you have to acknowledge that.

You mean you didn’t watch the early season when Carey was actually playing as FH was out? MSG ring a bell?

He had one very good scoring game, but also had 7 turnovers in that game. He couldn’t bring the ball up the court when pressured. Big reason we were down by double digits right away.

Got anything else that might ring a bell?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom