JBs Performance tonight | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

JBs Performance tonight

And it honestly felt like 15 which is sad
It was actually a 4 point game (70-66) with 3 minutes left, we were never able to get it down to a one-possession game. And when we cut the deficit to 4, we then gave up back-to-back 3s to make it a 10 point game with 1:45 to play.

I agree with you, it felt closer to 15 for the majority of that 2nd half. We really did not play well in NYC in either game, it's funny to me that a few months later there's this narrative that Jalen dominated but old man Boeheim just couldn't see it...

It was a 9 point loss with 0 minutes left
Did JB give up on the defensive rebound off Mason’s miss or was that Battle? Did JB travel or was that OB? Did JB miss shots or did the players?

Yeah, the players were gassed. Who failed the drug test, JB or Frank?

A lot of people saying Dolezaj should have come back in earlier, and maybe they’re right, but PC did score our last four points.

Bottom line, we were in position to win with what we had. The only real adjustment JB could have made was to play Carey more. I don’t know where some of you came up with this idea that Carey’s an elite defender. He isn’t. Not yet. He’s had issues with covering threes as well. And he’s a TO machine on offense. It’s more likely that we’re down more than three with three minutes left if he’s playing more. That’s the calculation JB made and he was probably right.

The players do have to make plays.

Did JB give up on the defensive rebound off Mason’s miss or was that Battle? Did JB travel or was that OB? Did JB miss shots or did the players?

Yeah, the players were gassed. Who failed the drug test, JB or Frank?

A lot of people saying Dolezaj should have come back in earlier, and maybe they’re right, but PC did score our last four points.

Bottom line, we were in position to win with what we had. The only real adjustment JB could have made was to play Carey more. I don’t know where some of you came up with this idea that Carey’s an elite defender. He isn’t. Not yet. He’s had issues with covering threes as well. And he’s a TO machine on offense. It’s more likely that we’re down more than three with three minutes left if he’s playing more. That’s the calculation JB made and he was probably right.

The players do have to make plays.

Thanks. We lost by 9.

“If coach would’ve put Dion MCW Buss Frank Geno Jalen Goodine Girard in, in the second half we’d have been national champions. No doubt. No doubt in my mind.” - Uncle Rico
The Syracuse 4th guard and the promise of next year is the equivalent of the back-up QB in football.

Let's see. So each team was playing zone for a while. Baylor's zone was getting torched and they switched to man..and we couldnt score against it.

we, however, unable to do anything but play zone, couldnt switch out of it and get them out of their rhythymn

Ill never understand why we have to play 100 percent zone. i get it.. we are a zone team..but geez..this game sure illustrates the value in being able to switch it about a bit in crisis.
Great post.

What most on here don't understand is that our 2003 National Championship was an anomaly. Other than the 1985 Villanova championship, SU is the only team to win playing exclusively zone. Even Rollie M threw in some M2M to change things up.

In this new world of college hoops where players like Steph Curry have influenced developing youngster's skill set, relying on zone is just dumb.

I'm not saying zone can't or shouldn't be your base defense...but you really have to possess the ability to play some man. IMO, even a 70/25/5 ratio of zone/man/press would be a huge help.

Last edited:
It was actually a 4 point game (70-66) with 3 minutes left, we were never able to get it down to a one-possession game. And when we cut the deficit to 4, we then gave up back-to-back 3s to make it a 10 point game with 1:45 to play.

I agree with you, it felt closer to 15 for the majority of that 2nd half. We really did not play well in NYC in either game, it's funny to me that a few months later there's this narrative that Jalen dominated but old man Boeheim just couldn't see it...
It was 70-67. They didn’t hit a three after that and the largest lead was nine.

I agree with your entire second paragraph, though.

Think about how hard it is to win this tourney winning 6 games in a row , now think about how much harder it is playing ONE defense. Odds our not in your favor.

Think about how hard it is to win this tourney winning 6 games in a row , now think about how much harder it is playing ONE defense. Odds our not in your favor.
Isn’t M2M one defense?

It was 70-67. They didn’t hit a three after that and the largest lead was nine.

I agree with your entire second paragraph, though.
I would agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong. The ESPN recap below says 70-66 - and then back-to-back UConn 3s made it 76-66, which is a 10 point deficit, not 9 points. KenPom's win probability graph shows the same sequence of events.

Genuinely curious to know where you're finding the 70-67 score and a max deficit of only 9 points thereafter... kind of a weird point to dispute, I know, but you're wrong.

Syracuse vs. UConn - Game Recap - November 15, 2018 - ESPN

1553267237435.png

Eh, JB's philosophy has always sort of been, play defense or sit.

Buddy got abused. Repeatedly. Endlessly.

If you can't coach JC into not driving, and just doing some ball control, by this point in the season, knowing the gravity of the situation, I don't know what we're even doing...the kid doesn't appear to be some out of control maniac. We managed to teach Frank to never even try to go inside the three point line. Can't we just have an in-between option...only go in when it's safe, or something???? Like "stranger danger," if you see a stranger, don't cross over that three point line PG, if you see no strangers, then no danger PG, drive it to the hoop - just don't give it to OB, because he'll miss.

Carey just happens to lose the ball every third dribble once he gets inside the three point line. Which is odd, but perhaps no odder than OB's innate ability to miss every gimme shot known to man, or Tyus's innate ability to know where the three point line is and stick a toe in front of it, or Hughes ability to suck in the second half of games, or Chukwu's ability to...eh, whatever. This team was such a headache.
This. What other player in SU history got so abused on defense and remained in the game? I felt embarrassed for Buddy. Carey can be a premier defender and like you said - why can't he be instructed to play awesome defense and let the other guys score? How hard is that?

He had one very good scoring game, but also had 7 turnovers in that game. He couldn’t bring the ball up the court when pressured. Big reason we were down by double digits right away.

Got anything else that might ring a bell?
You forgot zero assists from a point guard

This. What other player in SU history got so abused on defense and remained in the game? I felt embarrassed for Buddy. Carey can be a premier defender and like you said - why can't he be instructed to play awesome defense and let the other guys score? How hard is that?
Carey was terrible at the top of the zone all year. In the Baylor game he allowed 2 triples one from the top of the key that we should never give up in the limited time he played.

I do not know if what we have behind Buddy is better but what we have behind Buddy is different and if something or someone isn't working it is always good to try something different. There was no reason not to try JC for 5 minutes or so last night in the second half. No reason other than the clear one.

The clear one being that Buddy greatly outplayed Jalen for the last 3 months and earned his spot out there?

Carey was terrible at the top of the zone all year. In the Baylor game he allowed 2 triples one from the top of the key that we should never give up in the limited time he played.

Yup. He made some plays like the Georgetown block and the occasionally great steal. He has the elite athleticism to become a great defender. But like many freshmen, he doesn’t have the overall defensive awareness needed yet. He’s out of position often.

Buddy is a step slow up there, no doubt.

Offensively, in terms of production and efficiency this year, it wasn’t even close though. I’m amazed people are actually trying to say otherwise. I guess they don’t believe in Math.

The clear one being that Buddy greatly outplayed Jalen for the last 3 months and earned his spot out there?
He did no doubt. I don't think however he played well enough the last month to get 39 plus minutes last night when he was not good. He hasn't built up that much teflon yet and no other player in school history would have been allowed to play that many minutes with that production. Buddy is going to be a good player here and played will this year, but he hasn't earned a free pass, and if I'm recruiting against us for a 2 guard - I'm bringing up last nights game pretty quick.

It really does blow my mind. I don't know how you could watch more than 3 games this season and not come way with the conclusion that JC has really struggled and doesn't deserve minutes. Buddy has had some good games and bad but there is no way we would have been better off playing JC.

He did no doubt. I don't think however he played well enough the last month to get 39 plus minutes last night when he was not good. He hasn't built up that much teflon yet and no other player in school history would have been allowed to play that many minutes with that production. Buddy is going to be a good player here and played will this year, but he hasn't earned a free pass, and if I'm recruiting against us for a 2 guard - I'm bringing up last nights game pretty quick.
It's not a free pass. There was no other option. Frank was out. Jalen has struggled all year on both end of the floor.

That is true. JB has also known all season he'd limit Buddy's time against aggressive athletic guards. Last night he didn't have the option of going to Frank. But even so, Buddy couldn't even stay with the guy for one step. Had to give Carey more minutes. Especially at altitude and playing two guards.

When have you ever seen JB leave a player out there when they are constantly missing assignments on defense and late on rotations? If Chewy is late on one rotation he gets yanked. If OB or Hughes miss rotation they get yanked. I don't remember any Freshman especially having as bad as game as Buddy on both ends and playing 40 minutes.

Any bad comments about the player to the media? Like Buddy made as many shots as a dead guy? Why? Is he not treated the same as any other player?

That’s hindsight though.

A guy like Buddy can be having a bad game and then bury 2-3 3’s in a heartbeat.

I’m not exactly sure what people think Jalen would’ve done out there with big minutes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom