JBs Performance tonight | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

JBs Performance tonight

Do you think JB took the emotion out of it last night in deciding to ride Buddy for 39 minutes? Just curious
not taking shots. Al McGuire who when coaching his son said in the crunch you side with your son. I am intrigued to no how JBs process is.

Yes. He played the guy who has been his second best guard all year, because his 3rd best guard wasn’t available.

His 4th best guard was too distant of a 4th to justify minutes in a game like that.

Boeheim’s entire approach is big picture, stats based - not emotion based.

So it's not Carey's fault he makes the same mistake EVERY time he plays. EVERY time.

My likely not-so-final thoughts on the Buddy vs. Carey debate that's ebbed and flowed depending on whether Buddy hits six threes in a game. :)

I love the way we handled Buddy. Love it.

That being said, have we ever seen a Frosh that more consideration was given to in ensuring he doesn't fail? I kind of want that for everyone.

Buddy can do all of about one thing well enough to warrant playing time, and we said, "do that well, and you get minutes! Even if you don't do that well, and you're abysmal shooting the ball early in the year, we'll stick with you until you do succeed in that one thing, because that's why we recruited you!"

We didn't even play him against Va Tech because he wouldn't be able to handle ball pressure. We wouldn't let him fail, or get frazzled...but we would throw Carey in against Duke, at Cameron, at PG, against Jones (whom Jay Bilas informed me is the world's greatest defensive PG), and then glue him to the bench. I don't know....I'm not sure we would do that to Buddy at that juncture.

When Buddy's defense was awful, it was fine. When a team suddenly pressed earlier in the year and he seemed like a deer in headlights - it was fine. We let him focus on that one thing - set shots. He could expand his role based on his own development...it was sort of unique to see with this program.

I don't know. I feel like Buddy is the first Frosh in awhile that we really made a concerted effort to develop through the year despite early season struggles, and always placed him in positions where he could succeed and build confidence...everyone else just gets handed a full plate, and if one item - fork, knife, spoon, shaky potatoes, falls off the plate...we just compound the problem.

Carey sucked, but if we want to talk stats, they shot the same in HS from three, did we consider just using Carey as a set-shot three point shooter, that could be more a disruptive force on defense? Would we have allowed him to start the season shooting like that if we did give him that role? I could be wrong...but it just seems like we took a different path with Buddy, one I prefer, but I feel like we won't see again.

It's going to go back to, are you ready to be thrown in the fire from day one, or not?

If so, great!

If not, screw off - we have no time to build your confidence!

To reiterate, I LIKE the way we handled Buddy, but I think it was an anomaly. I think normally we just say, "do it all, and do it all well, you get a few chances, and then hit the bench if you fail." Whereas, Buddy we seemed to just pick his strength and cater very much to it to help him develop and ease into his role so we had a better, more mature player at the end of the year and not some frantic Frosh that still was playing with jitters.

Anyway....../rant

We always have other options. Last year we played a walk on.
So JB should have played Autry? But yeah, there are always options...

Option A: Carey. Gives up threes, turns the ball over, and doesn't provide spacing on offense.
Option B: Burn HW's redshirt.
Option C: Autry or Feldman.

JB didn't make Frank fail a drug test, much less use drugs in the first place. He made a judgment call based on what he had to work with. Based on how the season played out, I'd say he made the right decision. It just didn't work out.

Putting Carey in allows Battle to play off the ball and we might have seen a different Battle, may be...
It's pretty clear that Battle wasn't right. He had no interest in driving and shied away during crunch time.

So JB should have played Autry? But yeah, there are always options...

Option A: Carey. Gives up threes, turns the ball over, and doesn't provide spacing on offense.
Option B: Burn HW's redshirt.
Option C: Autry or Feldman.

JB didn't make Frank fail a drug test, much less use drugs in the first place. He made a judgment call based on what he had to work with. Based on how the season played out, I'd say he made the right decision. It just didn't work out.

Yup.

I guarantee these are the type of fans saying “get Buddy out!” 5 minutes into the game against Pitt, but then when he catches fire they say nothing and don’t acknowledge that they were wrong.

The correct decisions don’t always work out in sports.

Buddy gave up at least 11 wide open threes and missed all his shots. How much worse could Carey of been?
Buddy gave up wide open 3s....Those SOBs at Direct TV telecast a different game to my house.

Carey could have played much better D and could not have done less on offense

The season statistics suggest he likely would’ve played slightly better defense and much worse offense.

Yup.

I guarantee these are the type of fans saying “get Buddy out!” 5 minutes into the game against Pitt, but then when he catches fire they say nothing and don’t acknowledge that they were wrong.

The correct decisions don’t always work out in sports.

But he gets those 5+ minutes to right the ship... :) j/k I know the point you're making.

Putting Carey in allows Battle to play off the ball and we might have seen a different Battle, may be...
I don't know how someone could have watched Carey play at any point this year and think you know what we should do have this guy run our offense. I'm at a loss. Buddy didn't play well but playing JC makes no sense. He struggled all year and would not have helped on offense or defense.

Yes. He played the guy who has been his second best guard all year, because his 3rd best guard wasn’t available.

His 4th best guard was too distant of a 4th to justify minutes in a game like that.

Boeheim’s entire approach is big picture, stats based - not emotion based.
It's amazing this is so hard to grasp

Most poorly scouted.....poorly prepared, poorly game planned...poorly executed game plan if any and most poorly motivated players with low bball IQ that I have seen at SU in over 65 years. This program the last 4 years has been an unbalanced chemical equation. Time to deionize!

And why, aside from the altitude, did they have “tired legs”? Could it be the predictable lack of a bench that’s become a trademark of JB’s coaching MO? Was Carey was so turrible that he deserved the spirit and confidence crushing treatment he got this year? Or is/was JB so wedded to a certain way of operating, that flexibility is no longer an option.
I will ride or die w/ JB- he’s earned that. But long after he’s gone, I’ll question the insistence on the 2-3 no matter what, and the utter lack of developing a bench during a season. JMHO
Yup.

Can't criticize the coach's knowledge of the sport...but the coaching execution is fair game.
On a night when you could use minutes from Jalen Carey he got yanked after an offensive foul when he dropped his shoulder into his man.
But Tyus Battle did that twice.

And I don't think we saw much - if any - time with the Twin Twigs (Marek & Pascal) in at the same time.
Why not move Elijah to the 2 and play the two biggest guys up front along with Oshae?
If nothing else, Marek makes things happen.

My likely not-so-final thoughts on the Buddy vs. Carey debate that's ebbed and flowed depending on whether Buddy hits six threes in a game. :)

I love the way we handled Buddy. Love it.

That being said, have we ever seen a Frosh that more consideration was given to in ensuring he doesn't fail? I kind of want that for everyone.

Buddy can do all of about one thing well enough to warrant playing time, and we said, "do that well, and you get minutes! Even if you don't do that well, and you're abysmal shooting the ball early in the year, we'll stick with you until you do succeed in that one thing, because that's why we recruited you!"

We didn't even play him against Va Tech because he wouldn't be able to handle ball pressure. We wouldn't let him fail, or get frazzled...but we would throw Carey in against Duke, at Cameron, at PG, against Jones (whom Jay Bilas informed me is the world's greatest defensive PG), and then glue him to the bench. I don't know...I'm not sure we would do that to Buddy at that juncture.

When Buddy's defense was awful, it was fine. When a team suddenly pressed earlier in the year and he seemed like a deer in headlights - it was fine. We let him focus on that one thing - set shots. He could expand his role based on his own development...it was sort of unique to see with this program.

I don't know. I feel like Buddy is the first Frosh in awhile that we really made a concerted effort to develop through the year despite early season struggles, and always placed him in positions where he could succeed and build confidence...everyone else just gets handed a full plate, and if one item - fork, knife, spoon, shaky potatoes, falls off the plate...we just compound the problem.

Carey sucked, but if we want to talk stats, they shot the same in HS from three, did we consider just using Carey as a set-shot three point shooter, that could be more a disruptive force on defense? Would we have allowed him to start the season shooting like that if we did give him that role? I could be wrong...but it just seems like we took a different path with Buddy, one I prefer, but I feel like we won't see again.

It's going to go back to, are you ready to be thrown in the fire from day one, or not?

If so, great!

If not, screw off - we have no time to build your confidence!

To reiterate, I LIKE the way we handled Buddy, but I think it was an anomaly. I think normally we just say, "do it all, and do it all well, you get a few chances, and then hit the bench if you fail." Whereas, Buddy we seemed to just pick his strength and cater very much to it to help him develop and ease into his role so we had a better, more mature player at the end of the year and not some frantic Frosh that still was playing with jitters.

Anyway.../rant
I think you raise some fair points / criticisms for the way Boeheim handles some players versus others. I don't recall many (edit: any?) times that Jim ripped into Buddy for anything this year, but I can recall a couple of times over the past few seasons (edit: every single game) where he had a quick hook and some harsh words for some other guys who are not his son.

But to be fair, Buddy was essentially banished to a bench role after he started the first two games of the year (and shot the ball terribly). In games 3 thru 13, Buddy had two DNPs (against our highest-rated opponents in that stretch, Ohio State and Buffalo) and played 5 minutes or less in 5 other games (against Cornell, Georgetown, ODU, Notre Dame and Clemson). Jalen was definitely ahead of Buddy in that stretch, but he didn't do enough to capitalize on the opportunity.

Jalen will get his chance next year, and let's hope he's ready. He showed flashes of dynamic play and tremendous athleticism this year, we're all pulling for him to take it to the next level.

Most poorly scouted...poorly prepared, poorly game planned...poorly executed game plan if any and most poorly motivated players with low bball IQ that I have seen at SU in over 65 years. This program the last 4 years has been an unbalanced chemical equation. Time to deionize!
Thanks for the insightful post.

Well of course but it would be nice to get a pulse on the fanbase...from the vocal to the silent
Sure do a poll hours after a tourny lose, what results do you expect?

How likely is that?
Other than Alan Arkin, who gets better at anything after age 70?
There are 5 coaches 70 or older in including Coach K. Should they all retire. How about Leonard Hamilton of Florida St. He (69) and 8 others are 65+. There are 38 D1 coaches over 60. Do you think there should be a mandatory retirement age

Maybe the worst game I’ve seen him coach. The fact he just let buddy get abused all night on D while giving us absolutely nothing on offense was a killer. Every time down they attacked him. He’s going to be a good player for us and I’m a fan but he shouldn’t have played 40 mins. Huge reason we lost.

Last night was a microcosm of why Buddy isn't ready yet to play 35 minutes a game.

Andy Rautins NEVER averaged more than 32 minutes a game. NEVER. There was a reason why.

Jalen Carey should have played about 8-10 minutes, and maybe everybody wouldn't have been so damn winded because of the altitude for the last 5-10 minutes of the game.

Last night was a microcosm of why Buddy isn't ready yet to play 35 minutes a game.

Andy Rautins NEVER averaged more than 32 minutes a game. NEVER. There was a reason why.

Jalen Carey should have played about 8-10 minutes, and maybe everybody wouldn't have been so damn winded because of the altitude for the last 5-10 minutes of the game.
Cant disagree with anything you said.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom