JB's Postgame Presser | Richmond | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

JB's Postgame Presser | Richmond

Edwards changes the game defensively. He alters shots, takes up space, and mucks up the middle of the zone. He is a game changer on that end. He is the sole reason why our defense is even remotely close to average this year.

Is he a great rebounder? No. But very rarely in the zone is our center ever a terrific rebounder. That is reserved for the forward position. Which is why the forwards are getting the lion's share of criticism.

Offensively, he's at the very least a threat. He could be more assertive and is being asked to be. But he had 10 points, 8 rebounds, 6 blocks last night. I'll take that every night of the week.

Girard will shoot you into a game, and shoot you out of one. If Richmond's offense doesn't stall last night, we lose the game - in no small part because Girard decided to go hero ball and take ill-advised shot after ill-advised shot. The first half was great. But he's not a playmaker for his teammates and he is a below-to-average defender.
All true but without him last night we lose.

Well, 28% shooting inside the arc and 18 turnovers including 4 shot clock violations does say something. 41% from 3 is a bit higher than you want, but not Colgate level. And at least two of those were desperation as the shot clock expired. Not great defense but getting better and much more effective than man would have been against a Princeton style offense replete with off ball screens and back door cuts.
Folks that had the “they actually played good D” takes looking around now.
and

It's almost like he wants them to get better and feels that describing the difference between what they are and what they need to be might help.

I am contemplating asking what Benny gives us that Maliq doesn't for my question on his next show, (which won't be until next week).
thats the one thing that I dont get...brown is being underrrated by JB for whatever reason, it seems

thats the one thing that I dont get...brown is being underrrated by JB for whatever reason, it seems
I don’t think he’s underrating Brown. I think he views Brown as having a lower ceiling offensively. Brown isn’t going to drive or shoot a jump shot. Williams was able to do both of those things in HS. If he can put it together at this level, it raises the team’s potential overall.

Also, I think once you go with Brown, there’s no turning back.

I don’t think he’s underrating Brown. I think he views Brown as having a lower ceiling offensively. Brown isn’t going to drive or shoot a jump shot. Williams was able to do both of those things in HS. If he can put it together at this level, it raises the team’s potential overall.

Also, I think once you go with Brown, there’s no turning back.
i get that...but what about the rebounding and defense?

perhaps its just a case of benching benny now would mean bye bye benny and dont want waste all the effirt thats been put into him...

and not exactly that benny truly does give the team the best chance of winning.

between joe, judah and jesse...i really dont think the shooting of williams vs brown matters much.

all that said, benny was playing with a lot of hustle when I watched starting in the 2nd half...finished with 4 steals in the box score...and was outnumbered in the boards but battled well...he was playing with the right energy imo at the end of the game.

I thought his differentiating the Colgate game where the defense wasn't even in the vicinity was interesting. I watched the highlights (lowlights for us) on the ACC network YouTube channel and Bell and Williams were much closer than I thought to contesting those shots he referenced. They just kind of gave up at the last second.
Totally agree and JB is right. And Crispin said it too on the broadcast. They need to be in position to contest as soon as the ball moves. Compare their closeouts to Jesse’s at the end when he got a bunch of blocks. But they’re young players and still learning. Hopefully they improve quickly. At least they have the length and athleticism that we didn’t have last year.

That's a good point. Although I thought he also gave a clue as to why Benny and Bell will play more than the others. He said a few times they both can score (pointed out that Bell is a really good shooter).

I think he feels like they give us the best chance to outscore the other team, and figures the other forwards will probably make similar defensive mistakes. And that they probably won't be the rebounding saviors either.
I agree. You can improve your effort and technique on defense and in rebounding with more practice and in-game reps. But it’s a lot harder to quickly improve a player’s shot. Since Bell is already a good shooter, he figures he can motivate him to work harder and smarter on defense and on the boards. With Benny, I think he likes his length and athleticism (also something you can’t teach) and wants him to focus on rebounding and getting put backs and short jumpers. I still think Taylor and Brown will get minutes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom