JB's Postgame Presser | Richmond | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

JB's Postgame Presser | Richmond

He’s also taking away the ability of the player to say “you didn’t give me a chance”. He now has a game where he can say I played you the entire game and you didn’t do this.

That's a good point. Although I thought he also gave a clue as to why Benny and Bell will play more than the others. He said a few times they both can score (pointed out that Bell is a really good shooter).

I think he feels like they give us the best chance to outscore the other team, and figures the other forwards will probably make similar defensive mistakes. And that they probably won't be the rebounding saviors either.

That's a good point. Although I thought he also gave a clue as to why Benny and Bell will play more than the others. He said a few times they both can score (pointed out that Bell is a really good shooter).

I think he feels like they give us the best chance to outscore the other team, and figures the other forwards will probably make similar defensive mistakes. And that they probably won't be the rebounding saviors either.
Yep. He sees these guys in practice every day. He has a good feel what they can do, and what they can’t. I think some of it is teaching, I think some of it is keeping a player in to play through adversity in a game like this because you’re gonna need it later in the ACC. And also building confidence in the player knowing that he’s not gonna be yanked if he makes a mistake. The last point is something that we’ve always fans complained about before with other players. again, as I said, in another thread, let’s see how this plays out. What frustrated me the last 2 to 3 years was the obvious father blinders that he had on when coaching the team and when making post game comments in the presser. It appears to me, that we have the old JB back from that.

It's almost like he wants them to get better and feels that describing the difference between what they are and what they need to be might help.

I am contemplating asking what Benny gives us that Maliq doesn't for my question on his next show, (which won't be until next week).

Yep. He sees these guys in practice every day. He has a good feel what they can do, and what they can’t. I think some of it is teaching, I think some of it is keeping a player in to play through adversity in a game like this because you’re gonna need it later in the ACC. And also building confidence in the player knowing that he’s not gonna be yanked if he makes a mistake. The last point is something that we’ve always fans complained about before with other players. again, as I said, in another thread, let’s see how this plays out. What frustrated me the last 2 to 3 years was the obvious father blinders that he had on when coaching the team and when making post game comments in the presser. It appears to me, that we have the old JB back from that.
The old JB with markedly less talent. Mintz and Jesse are the only starting caliber players during Top 4 seed years. No superstars. A lot of average to below average guys. Can they get better? Sure. But I don’t see it this year or next if Edwards leaves.

The old JB with markedly less talent. Mintz and Jesse are the only starting caliber players during Top 4 seed years. No superstars. A lot of average to below average guys. Can they get better? Sure. But I don’t see it this year or next if Edwards leaves.
You, like many others, way overrate Jesse and underrate Joe. Do you think Jesse stood out last night? Came alive a little late but otherwise very mediocre.

Regarding Benny, I’m not sure in all my years of watching I’ve seen a player who’s not very good getting cut so much slack by JB. Roberson was an All American compared to BW. JB got on him hard late last night …but we’ll see, hoping his minutes are numbered.

Last edited:
You, like many others, way overrate Jesse and underrate Joe. Do you think Jesse stood out last night? Came alive a little late but otherwise very mediocre.

No one underrates Joe otherwise you’re correct.

I thought his differentiating the Colgate game where the defense wasn't even in the vicinity was interesting. I watched the highlights (lowlights for us) on the ACC network YouTube channel and Bell and Williams were much closer than I thought to contesting those shots he referenced. They just kind of gave up at the last second.
Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. If a shooter is able to square up and shoot in rhythm then it wasn’t contested. There isn’t a magical distance that is considered “contested” and it’s the wrong way to look at it… unless you’re trying to apologize for the zone’s flaws.

Not sure what everyone is complaining about. No issue at all with the presser. Jimmy is spot on in his comments about everyone . He pointed out Joe took too many tough shots in the 2nd half and can’t do that. Pointed out Jesse creates space for Judah and others because defenders don’t leave him so contributing even if not scoring. Pointed out Judah needs to take the next step and find Jesse and others when he drives and not only look for his shot. Pointed out Bell and Bennie can score but need to rebound and challenge shots better in the wings. I think we can read between the lines if they don’t rebound then he will play others who do (I.e Brown).

He was the right balance of it’s a good win, young team and a lot of things to get better at. Challenge out to Bennie and Bell to improve on boards and defensively.

You’ll see more of the bench tonight as I don’t think bell is physical enough to find space vs St. John’s so more symir, brown and Taylor.

Cuse

Poster: “Why is Boeheim so negative all the time even after a win?”

**Checks game and post-game threads***

Same poster: “This team stinks”
There one poster in the thread that asked why is Boeheim so negative after a win. Bulldog04.

He didn't post in the game thread or post game thread.

The rest of us in the thread who did post in both didn't ask "why is Boeheim so negative"?

We are questioning how he is so negative toward his forwards when he played them 20 mins in the 2H and all of OT. Its a valid question and some had had answers/suggestions in the thread.

Reading comp 101.

The whole discussion about the zone has been and will be ongoing forever. There have been years, with the right personnel, that it has been a major positive factor. Without the right personnel it has a multitude of issues. I remember Duany, after coming out of Albany and heading to the NC, crediting the zone as a major factor. He couldn't believe the "look in the eyes" of the opposition which didn't have a clue.

It's a "reactive" defense vs a "pressure" defense which can slow the pace of play but never up the pace (unless there's a lot of trapping). It needs all five on the court to collectively do their job. In my mind the 2 wings have the most difficult and the most important jobs. They cover from baseline to backcourt and have to be lengthy, agile, and know how to work with the center and guard positions. That comes with commitment plus game experience over time.

JB will never abandon the zone, and he has the potential pieces to make it work. He just needs a buy in from his young personnel.

Benny had 3 rebounds in 40 minutes. There's a question there somewhere.
Apparently the key to Benny getting minutes is don't defend and don't rebound? I'm lost here, is Benny this year's Jimmy in terms of minutes?

The thing is of Benny, Bell, Taylor, and Brown, none of them are so much better than the others as to warrant never leaving the floor for entire halves.

If you want to play Jesse, Joe, Judah— clearly our best 3 players— for the entire game I could understand especially when Joe is having a good shooting night. The forwards are much more murky, and probably will be all year.
I agree and I think you will see the minutes vary game to game. Personally I don't see anything Benny does to play those kind of minutes, but we shall see how it plays out. I can live with 1 rebound when it is countered by 3 three's and a big bucket.

Playing Brown more creates a problem for Boehiem in regards to Williams .... needs for Williams to play himself out of starting lineup before turning to Brown.

There one poster in the thread that asked why is Boeheim so negative after a win. Bulldog04.

He didn't post in the game thread or post game thread.

The rest of us in the thread who did post in both didn't ask "why is Boeheim so negative"?

We are questioning how he is so negative toward his forwards when he played them 20 mins in the 2H and all of OT. Its a valid question and some had had answers/suggestions in the thread.

Reading comp 101.
I’m confused by what you’re saying? So bc I was moving into a new house and didn’t have time to post to the game thread, I’m not allowed to comment on the presser or game even though I watched every second ? At no point did I say this team stinks. I said he doesn’t even come close to answering the question that he is asked and always ends up saying something negative. He brings zero enthusiasm to winning press conferences and I’m shocked people are okay with it. But not sure what the call out was for

I’m confused by what you’re saying? So bc I was moving into a new house and didn’t have time to post to the game thread, I’m not allowed to comment on the presser or game even though I watched every second ? At no point did I say this team stinks. I said he doesn’t even come close to answering the question that he is asked and always ends up saying something negative. He brings zero enthusiasm to winning press conferences and I’m shocked people are okay with it. But not sure what the call out was for
No, his post wasn’t about you really. The other poster was whining that we all were saying JB was negative. He clearly had an axe to grind about us not being all rainbows and unicorns after a win. DJ was just correcting his inaccuracies.

Read the post I responded to again along with the rest of the posts in the thread.

I was commenting that you were the only one that posted about Boeheim being negative after a win...and you didn't post in the game thread...hence his suggestion didn't make sense

JB working toward his 7.5 roster:
1.Joe
2.Judah
3.Jesee
4.Bell
5.Bennie
6.Brown
7.Torrence
.5 Hima

Edwards changes the game defensively. He alters shots, takes up space, and mucks up the middle of the zone. He is a game changer on that end. He is the sole reason why our defense is even remotely close to average this year.

Is he a great rebounder? No. But very rarely in the zone is our center ever a terrific rebounder. That is reserved for the forward position. Which is why the forwards are getting the lion's share of criticism.

Offensively, he's at the very least a threat. He could be more assertive and is being asked to be. But he had 10 points, 8 rebounds, 6 blocks last night. I'll take that every night of the week.

Girard will shoot you into a game, and shoot you out of one. If Richmond's offense doesn't stall last night, we lose the game - in no small part because Girard decided to go hero ball and take ill-advised shot after ill-advised shot. The first half was great. But he's not a playmaker for his teammates and he is a below-to-average defender.

So were us fans. It’s refreshing to see JB see the game the same way as us fans again. The dad blinders are off again. It’s actually encouraging.
I agree. I thought he was on top of his game regarding his summary of what took place during the game. I do not always agree with how he can get snarky with some of the press but he hit it out of the park during this presser.

He's 80. How much energy are you expecting?

He’s also taking away the ability of the player to say “you didn’t give me a chance”. He now has a game where he can say I played you the entire game and you didn’t do this.
Just curious, do you think JB was willing to lose this game to make the point? We were fortunate to get the win and he said multiple times we didn’t deserve it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom