JB's Presser after BC | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

JB's Presser after BC

I have always thought that finishing around the basket is like the cliche about height ... you either have it or you don't, it can't be taught.

I saw several very smart posters mention that Brissett needs to work from the inside out. I wonder if I'm the only person who feels the opposite is true? He needs to shoot better from 3 or he's not going to be a a very good offensive player.

I thought he was great last year despite not finishing around the basket, because he was a great rebounder, a great defender, he hit his 3s in confrence play after a slow start, and he got to the line and made his free throws. Only the defense seems to have transferred over to this year.

I don't think Brissett will ever blossom into a huge star or a pro. I think his freshman year was basically who he is, kind of the same way we saw everything GMac had to offer his freshman year.

What Brissett needs to do is get back to doing what he did last year, and be a very good 4 year player. Nothing he's tried to add to his game has turned out well, and I dont think its likely to with more time. I'd have no problem with him never taking another mid range shot.

I'd like to see OB stop with the leaning off balance throw up a prayer shots. If the path to the basket is blocked, take a short jumper, then once a couple of those go in, keep moving back. He needs to be more fundamentally sound with his shooting. And he needs to jump out of the gym to dunk on every attempt he can when he does go to the basket. Stop playing smaller than the other team. That shot he was blocked on and then ended up throwing out of bounds was to a smaller BC player. Can't happen. As JB said, go up with 2 hands and dunk that ball.

I have always thought that finishing around the basket is like the cliche about height ... you either have it or you don't, it can't be taught.

I saw several very smart posters mention that Brissett needs to work from the inside out. I wonder if I'm the only person who feels the opposite is true? He needs to shoot better from 3 or he's not going to be a a very good offensive player.

I thought he was great last year despite not finishing around the basket, because he was a great rebounder, a great defender, he hit his 3s in confrence play after a slow start, and he got to the line and made his free throws. Only the defense seems to have transferred over to this year.

I don't think Brissett will ever blossom into a huge star or a pro. I think his freshman year was basically who he is, kind of the same way we saw everything GMac had to offer his freshman year.

What Brissett needs to do is get back to doing what he did last year, and be a very good 4 year player. Nothing he's tried to add to his game has turned out well, and I dont think its likely to with more time. I'd have no problem with him never taking another mid range shot.
I think your comparison to Gmac is a good one. Brissett was very good as a freshman, and many of us were expecting significant improvement this season, and that hasn't happened. But has he regressed, as many contend? What do the numbers tell us?
Screenshot_2019-02-01-05-19-26-1.png

Per 40 minutes, he looks much like the same player in terms of scoring and rebounding. His shooting percentage inside the arc is significantly better, but he has regressed as a deep shooter, which is disappointing considering how well he finished from out there last year in conference play as you pointed out. He isn't getting to the line as often, and has been unreliable when he gets there, and that's concerning. On the positive side, his assists are up.

I'm not sure what it all means, but I have been encouraged by his more aggressive play in the last few games, and am hoping to see it continue.

When players go from bad to good, the criticism stops, that is how it's supposed to work
Another thing that's supposed to happen is those that criticized JB fess up that they may have been wrong. Those that said he won't contribute this year need to fess up also.

In fairness, I have seen a few come clean.

People also wrote off XMAS.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom