JB's Presser after BC | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

JB's Presser after BC

At the very least, he should be coached to play inside-out, and pulled for settling for jumpers if taken before he attacks the basket a few times first.
He has such a nice stroke though. What a waste

The worst thing about this conference is Gminski doing our games. I give just about every announcer and stupid Food Lion ad a pass, but that guy is the worst.

Agreed -- Gminski is horrible. Waste of space.

I’m pretty mystified by the expectations for Brisset that so many Cuse fans have. I mean, he had a historically bad season last year in terms of shooting percentage for a 6-8 guy who takes most of his shots around the basket. I know strength is an issue but he has ZERO touch. Half of his layups are grenades that he launches at the backboard. I am of the belief that ‘touch’ around the basket I s one of the hardest things to teach - some dudes just have it (pearl, Wallace, arinze) and others don’t. I think he will improve his face-up game and finish a little better as he gets stronger, but a lot of his finishing problems are fundamental flaws related to body balance, release angle, backspin, etc. I don’t think those are easy flaws to correct.

Jimmy, come on we won for crying out loud. Be happy! :)

That comment in regards to Donna's question is somewhat telling. Donna: "Tyus had the ball a lot tonight"...JB's response; "if he has it in his hands, somebody else can't screw it up." Interesting. Later he goes on to say that Frank was upset which I'd be upset if I was a senior too...but JB afterwards immediately affirming that Tyus is just flat out better with the ball and makes plays. Ouch!
I agree with JB.

tyus is unquestionably better than frank with the ball. The question is whether syracuse is better with frank in or out.
If we are talking about driving and handle yes. Frank is a good passer though and the real question is is Battle better than Frank with the ball and is Buddy better than Battle of the ball. That is the larger question. I personally think Frank off the ball is fine because he is shooting better and not playing as bad as earlier in the year. Boeheim is remarkably good a coach watching a game to understand who has it that night and is playing well. I think what he is doing is putting Buddy out there and if he makes good decisions and is confident and hits a shot or two he will roll with him. Then bring Frank back quick if that is not the case. There will be a game or two or three where Buddy hits a shot or two and is playing well and this will happen. Over the course of the rest of the year I think Frank plays 2/3 of the minutes though.

Can’t believe how bad Oshae has been for most of this year.
It is shocking to me. I really thought he was going to make a leap forward. He has regressed badly. I honestly thought how bad he was finishing around the basket last year couldn't get worse and that was part of my reasoning for a big improvement. Wow was I wrong about that.

Was happy he wasn’t lofting 3’s and was driving to the basket. He did go to the basket strong a few times making layups, hope he builds on it. His judgment on going to the basket near the very end when he could have used clock by pulling it out or passed it when it was 2 on 1 but ended with it being knocked out of his hands off himself could have been a killer.
He could also have gone up with 2 hands. What a nightmare. He needs to go in there and dunk and be aggressive. He has done it so I know it's possible. To often he is just trying to finesse it.

I’m pretty mystified by the expectations for Brisset that so many Cuse fans have. I mean, he had a historically bad season last year in terms of shooting percentage for a 6-8 guy who takes most of his shots around the basket. I know strength is an issue but he has ZERO touch. Half of his layups are grenades that he launches at the backboard. I am of the belief that ‘touch’ around the basket I s one of the hardest things to teach - some dudes just have it (pearl, Wallace, arinze) and others don’t. I think he will improve his face-up game and finish a little better as he gets stronger, but a lot of his finishing problems are fundamental flaws related to body balance, release angle, backspin, etc. I don’t think those are easy flaws to correct.
That's fair. I will own the fact I was wrong about this. I agree with your assessment of touch but thought he could go from terrible to passable but not great. I thought he would get a little stronger and have more legs because he wouldn't be top 5 in the nation in minutes with Eli playing and Marek improving some. He has also regressed as a foul shooter in my opinion and in his general confidence in driving the ball which maybe his lack of finishing has something to do with that. I honestly don't understand why he doesn't just keep going and dunk it instead of stopping 4-5 feet from the hoop and trying to do some off balance crap. If you can't get all the way either stop for the foul line jumper which he can hit or throw the ball back out. It honestly blows my mind.

Was happy he wasn’t lofting 3’s and was driving to the basket. He did go to the basket strong a few times making layups, hope he builds on it. His judgment on going to the basket near the very end when he could have used clock by pulling it out or passed it when it was 2 on 1 but ended with it being knocked out of his hands off himself could have been a killer.

OB is really good at getting to the basket. If he could just settle down a bit when he gets there, and finish, sky is the limit. His mistakes seem more on the mental side to me.

Get him a good shrink and watch him take off.

OB is really good at getting to the basket. If he could just settle down a bit when he gets there, and finish, sky is the limit. His mistakes seem more on the mental side to me.

Get him a good shrink and watch him take off.
Really all he needs to do is stop/gather

I would have to believe that OB has been told/shown MANY times what he needs to do in close to the basket.
If he's not getting it done now I'm agreeing with those that think he may just be mentally blocking himself out.

I’ll bet he says that if you can put the ball in the basket and prevent the other team from scoring we win. If not we lose.

Ball handling is a tough skill to get better at as you get older. It is something you need to work on mostly on your own. When i was playing my HS coach told me that i needed to develop my off hand which for me was my left. His way of doing so consisted of basketball drills. All non shooting and more importantly daily life drills. He had me over the summer do everything left handed. Comb hair, knife fork spoon, open doors, jars, containers, brush teeth. EVERYTHING left handed. It worked. Even today im fairly strong with my left.
What if you are left handed? Lol

Just watched the whole thing. Two things I noticed. He's a bit annoyed with answering so many Buddy questions. Second, he shares some of my opinions about Pascal.

Just watched the whole thing. Two things I noticed. He's a bit annoyed with answering so many Buddy questions. Second, he shares some of my opinions about Pascal.
I think deep down he hates coaching Buddy at this level. He knows if he gives buddy too much run buddy is told by fans or random people he only is playing on the team and that many minutes because of his last name. The reality is some other kid was a shooter of the bench playing 15 minutes a game there would be very few questions.

I think deep down he hates coaching Buddy at this level. He knows if he gives buddy too much run buddy is told by fans or random people he only is playing on the team and that many minutes because of his last name. The reality is some other kid was a shooter of the bench playing 15 minutes a game there would be very few questions.

Mentioned it as much with his comments to Goodman today. A lot of the posters who criticized Buddy early in the season have been mia since he started playing well.

Mentioned it as much with his comments to Goodman today. A lot of the posters who criticized Buddy early in the season have been mia since he started playing well.
I didn’t read that yet I’ll have to find it. Crazy work day

Not much for them to say these days. The kid is a legit weapon. Even Coach Tbone would be running him out there.

When players go from bad to good, the criticism stops, that is how it's supposed to work

I would have to believe that OB has been told/shown MANY times what he needs to do in close to the basket.
If he's not getting it done now I'm agreeing with those that think he may just be mentally blocking himself out.

I have always thought that finishing around the basket is like the cliche about height ... you either have it or you don't, it can't be taught.

I saw several very smart posters mention that Brissett needs to work from the inside out. I wonder if I'm the only person who feels the opposite is true? He needs to shoot better from 3 or he's not going to be a a very good offensive player.

I thought he was great last year despite not finishing around the basket, because he was a great rebounder, a great defender, he hit his 3s in confrence play after a slow start, and he got to the line and made his free throws. Only the defense seems to have transferred over to this year.

I don't think Brissett will ever blossom into a huge star or a pro. I think his freshman year was basically who he is, kind of the same way we saw everything GMac had to offer his freshman year.

What Brissett needs to do is get back to doing what he did last year, and be a very good 4 year player. Nothing he's tried to add to his game has turned out well, and I dont think its likely to with more time. I'd have no problem with him never taking another mid range shot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom