JB's Presser after BC | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

JB's Presser after BC

Jimmy, come on we won for crying out loud. Be happy! :)

That comment in regards to Donna's question is somewhat telling. Donna: "Tyus had the ball a lot tonight"...JB's response; "if he has it in his hands, somebody else can't screw it up." Interesting. Later he goes on to say that Frank was upset which I'd be upset if I was a senior too...but JB afterwards immediately affirming that Tyus is just flat out better with the ball and makes plays. Ouch!

and it's all true. The team actually runs better (for the most part) when Battle is the point guard.

Was happy he wasn’t lofting 3’s and was driving to the basket. He did go to the basket strong a few times making layups, hope he builds on it. His judgment on going to the basket near the very end when he could have used clock by pulling it out or passed it when it was 2 on 1 but ended with it being knocked out of his hands off himself could have been a killer.

Agree - I did like his intentions last night with more driving and that play definitely got my blood pressure going a little bit higher.

Thought he was going to get going after he got in for that dunk early in the game. I was surprised he threw it down with such authority. But then turned into typical Oshae this year - some good moments outweighed by moments that make you want to pull your hair out.

Oshae's really in a funk. Need him to pull out of this tailspin and right the ship -- team needs him to be better.

Oshae's really in a funk. Need him to pull out of this tailspin and right the ship -- team needs him to be better.

His finishing funk has been going on for 1.5 seasons now. It's just strange what a hard time he has finishing around the basket.

Thought he was going to get going after he got in for that dunk early in the game. I was surprised he threw it down with such authority. But then turned into typical Oshae this year - some good moments outweighed by moments that make you want to pull your hair out.
As long as Oshea is driving to the basket and drawing fouls, and not shooting 7 three pointers a game, I'm absolutely fine with his offense. He doesn't need to score 20 a game. He Just needs to average between 10-12 ppg while drawing something like 3 to 5 fouls on drives. Which he did do more of in the second half.

Can’t believe how bad Oshae has been for most of this year.

And not just bad. Worse than last year. For an NBA hopeful with no one to take his minutes in a perpetual physical mismatch, it's just sad to watch.

Said it in the game thread, but I’ll reiterate- Oshae might be the most frustrating player I have ever seen play at Syracuse. I can’t remember feeling the way I do, multiple times a game, game after game, in response to some bozo play. It’s really quite strange.

Oshae got called for an absolutely horrible charge call that would have been an and 1. He got lost after that. It was one of the worst calls I’ve seen.

Said it in the game thread, but I’ll reiterate- Oshae might be the most frustrating player I have ever seen play at Syracuse. I can’t remember feeling the way I do, multiple times a game, game after game, in response to some bozo play. It’s really quite strange.
He’s clueless as to situational basketball. When he has a lane his instinct takes over and he’s fine. But 95 percent he’s forcing issues it’s terrible result

He’s clueless as to situational basketball. When he has a lane his instinct takes over and he’s fine. But 95 percent he’s forcing issues it’s terrible result

And the kicker is how announcers talk about how efficient he is. There's nothing like watching OB blow it game after game while the talking heads talk about how easy his game looks when his 18FG% is staring them in the face.

Can’t believe how bad Oshae has been for most of this year.
Especially in conference. (Standard caveat, PER isn't the be-all end all, but it's useful):
Boeheim 26.1
Battle 18.8
Dolezaj 17.2
Hughes 16.0
Howard 15.5
Chukwu 14.6
Brissett 11.8
Sidibe 4.5
Carey -5.7

For someone getting as many minutes as Brissett, he's awfully unproductive. 15 PER is supposed to be average. Based on these, the best lineup looks like Battle/Buddy/Dolezaj/Hughes/Chukwu ... which has been passing the eye test as well.

And the kicker is how announcers talk about how efficient he is. There's nothing like watching OB blow it game after game while the talking heads talk about how easy his game looks when his 18FG% is staring them in the face.
I can’t remember them saying that frankly. At least not this year

Especially in conference. (Standard caveat, PER isn't the be-all end all, but it's useful):
Boeheim 26.1
Battle 18.8
Dolezaj 17.2
Hughes 16.0
Howard 15.5
Chukwu 14.6
Brissett 11.8
Sidibe 4.5
Carey -5.7

For someone getting as many minutes as Brissett, he's awfully unproductive. 15 PER is supposed to be average. Based on these, the best lineup looks like Battle/Buddy/Dolezaj/Hughes/Chukwu ... which has been passing the eye test as well.
Yeah it’s not close that’s the best lineup

I wonder if something unrelated to basketball is affecting brissett. When your minds on something else it means you aren’t going to be as effective as you could be. Just an observation

I can’t remember them saying that frankly. At least not this year

Gminski mentioned Brissett's efficiency a couple minutes into the telecast. I literally laughed out loud when I heard it. Like, you could use 1,000 words to describe Brissett's game, and "efficient" wouldn't make that list.

At this point I think they should just tell him to try and dunk everything within 3 feet of the basket. Sure he'll blow some, but I'm not sure it can be worse than they way he finishes now.

that save under his own basket which went for an assist to the other team was amazing. just amazing. you teach that out of kids in grade school.

Gminski mentioned Brissett's efficiency a couple minutes into the telecast. I literally laughed out loud when I heard it. Like, you could use 1,000 words to describe Brissett's game, and "efficient" wouldn't make that list.

At this point I think they should just tell him to try and dunk everything within 3 feet of the basket. Sure he'll blow some, but I'm not sure it can be worse than they way he finishes now.

The worst thing about this conference is Gminski doing our games. I give just about every announcer and stupid Food Lion ad a pass, but that guy is the worst.

At the very least, he should be coached to play inside-out, and pulled for settling for jumpers if taken before he attacks the basket a few times first.

It feels like he realizes he hasn't scored in a while, so he just puts his head down and drives, regardless of the situation.

I’m far more concerned about his lack of passing ability/court sense than I am his finishing ability or outside shooting percentage.

His stroke is fine. The percentage would improve if he knew what a good shot is.

If you can’t pass and lack feel for the game...that’s tougher to improve IMO.

He’ll be more effective if we have more guys that are better with the ball, and he has the ball in his hands less...basically only getting it when he’s in position to go right to the basket or shoot. Eliminate the decision making.

Tyus has the makings of an NBA point guard. He has to develop his passing and the pick and roll but he is much better at the point than he was at the start of the season. I hope he gets the chance to get as much work in at the point as possible. Obviously, he is our best player but he is so much better than everyone else that he needs to have the ball in his hands as much as possible. It seems that when Tyrus is in attacking mode, Oshae and Elija also become more aggressive.

Frank has been timid ever since his injury. Instead of becoming a more aggressive penetrater he has become a rather one dimensional jump shooter. He had one drive tonight. In fairness, he is very good at protecting the ball. His lack of penetration limits his ability to be creative.

I think several things you point out in your last paragraph is problematic for a point guard. Frank is not strong at penetrating as you mentioned, this in part, is due to his average handle at best. Because he's not a threat, at least not a consistent threat, it places far less pressure on the D, as they don't have to be concerned with coming off their guy, etc. to help. Since this doesn't happen too often, it doesn't allow our offense to flow as well, create various opportunities for others because of the dribble drive penetration and advantages it creates for himself and/or simultaneously for his teammates. Because of this limitation, we (when Frank has the ball in his hands) pass the ball side to side a lot, etc. doing nothing more than seemingly running down the shot clock, where afterwards being forced to hoist up a shot just to get one off to avoid the violation. This causes the offense to be stagnant at times along with being very easy to defend.

In regards to protecting the ball comment, I'd agree. However, I think that has a lot to do with the issues pointed out above. And, since he doesn't have those attributes, when he's in there, we run a very low risk offense where not a heck of a lot is happening. This is just my opinion of course.

Agreed

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom