JB's Presser after Cornell | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

JB's Presser after Cornell

...JB has always been good at using the hook to teach. Actually he has often been criticized for being too stern, or rigid in its use. This year he is allowing players multiple often repeated mistakes without pulling them. I have no idea why as he has the bench to do so. …...
Chukwu and Carey would not agree with you -- both got the quick hook after mistakes. Chukwu got his in the first minutes; Carey subbed in for Howard, forced a defended jumper, when he should have moved the ball, and took a seat.
JB isn't going to pull Battle or Brissett. Hughes wasn't making glaring mistakes -- he wasn't as aggressive as he has been. Similar with Dolezaj -- he was moving the ball and setting picks, giving his usual effort on defense, but deferring on offense.
And that bench? Who would you go with?

Jim was angry all night. He was even yelling at someone at the opening tip when we scored the basket in 4 seconds. I couldn't tell why he was upset. And right after that Chukwu allowed an easy bucket which got him really mad. And eventually he tossed his jacket later in the half.

You think our game plan was good?

I thought it was good. It seemed like our game plan was for Oshae Brissett to get going down low which he did. And then after we broke the game open our team just relaxed and stopped executing the game plan. We stopped getting Oshae involved in 2nd half and Matt made some incredible shots to pull us back in.

I don't think the game plan was wrong but the effort. Especially when we were so much taller but couldn't out rebound them.

Few points...

1. For some reason, Frank and Elijah just didn't do any of the things they are good at, things they know they can do. Why was Frank just jacking up threes, instead of getting to the basket? That's not a coaching problem.

2. Centers seemed to take a giant step backward. Chukwu has played, and can play, better, but for some reason he didn't. That's not a coaching problem either.

3. Marek didn't take the same shots he's been taking, didn't drive, didn't dish. That's not a coaching problem.

4. Last I checked, the coach isn't allowed to line up on the floor and play the game.

Glad they came away with the W, but I hope they are forced to watch the film of this game over and over until they puke - Clockwork Orange style - before they step out on the floor against Northeastern and G-town.

I don’t understand this post! I mean I do but it’s ridiculous. JB is a HOF coach. Do you think he didn’t tell the team what Cornell does? To watch for this or that? JB watches and studies more basketball than anyone. He was honest and yes the team played like crap. The centers are giving us nothing. Hughes was nowhere to be seen. Don’t dump on the coach for saying the way it is. These are D1 basketball players, most of which have dreams to do this for a living. I’m a chef, do you think my boss never told me growing up that I was cooking like sh$T that night? Please he told it the way it was tonight. It was hard to watch.
Well, in America, you can't be truthful, because someone's feelings might be hurt, especially with college players. Heck, they are suspending announcers for truthful observations.
Maybe our fans need a safe space where they can sit out JB's press conferences.

Chukwu and Carey would not agree with you -- both got the quick hook after mistakes. Chukwu got his in the first minutes; Carey subbed in for Howard, forced a defended jumper, when he should have moved the ball, and took a seat.
JB isn't going to pull Battle or Brissett. Hughes wasn't making glaring mistakes -- he wasn't as aggressive as he has been. Similar with Dolezaj -- he was moving the ball and setting picks, giving his usual effort on defense, but deferring on offense.
And that bench? Who would you go with?
Battle, Bris, any player needs to be pulled. Even if just for a minute so that JB can communicate to them. Reset them. Pulling a player doesn't have to be a punishment. It needs to be used as a teaching opportunity as a motivational opportunity.

Yes through substitution. JB has always been good at using the hook to teach. Actually he has often been criticized for being too stern, or rigid in its use. This year he is allowing players multiple often repeated mistakes without pulling them. I have no idea why as he has the bench to do so. I also dont see him spending much time with players who are subbed out. Very little player coach bench interactions.
I do not know where you get that idea, he is continually talking to players both when he pulls them and as they are in the bench area. Now whether they are listening or doing what he is instructing is a different kettle of fish.

everyone relax. in the gambling world, they would call this a very "bad spot" for SU. They just came off a big road win against a highly ranked team from a major conference and a few days later came home to play what they felt was a doormat. Happens in pretty much every sport at every level. They were never going to lose this game and they knew it.

this is why half time score of cornell +13.5 was absolutely free money.

This is largely a question of style. JB is an old school coach who doesn't run his presser talking points through a PR filter. What he gives you is simply what he thinks.

Many may not like it, but JB is who he is, he is successful, and we are lucky to have him.

Battle, Bris, any player needs to be pulled. Even if just for a minute so that JB can communicate to them. Reset them. Pulling a player doesn't have to be a punishment. It needs to be used as a teaching opportunity as a motivational opportunity.

You’re just talking at this point, lol.

Telling Boeheim when he needs to pull Battle. Cmon.

. . .They just came off a big road win against a highly ranked team from a major conference and a few days later came home to play what they felt was a doormat. Happens in pretty much every sport at every level. They were never going to lose this game and they knew it. ….

I wonder. The only guys who should be taking Cornell lightly (Battle & Brissett) had strong games. The others (Chukwu, Sidibe & Dolezaj in particular) have no reason to take any opponent lightly. Can add Carey to that list -- he needs to play well to earn his role, and he knows it.

I think Hughes had his first off night, and Howard is working his way back from injury.

Syracuse basketball has just become boring. They play slow motion. No fast breaks any more. No high flying dunks. Nothing. They are difficult to watch. It seems like nobody knows how to run a break. They don’t push the ball ahead and no one gives the ball up. No bigs to score inside with none coming next year as well. We have a 7’2 center who doesn’t have a dunk after seven games. There was not a single dunk in last nights game. SU doesn’t have any elite, high flying athletes anymore. All we have is 190 pound bigs who can’t post up or score inside. You wonder why a kid like Stewart doesn’t want to play for SU. They would probably ignore him too. I drive two hours to attend home games and I don’t feel entertained anymore. I know it was Cornell, but it’s felt this way for a long time. My goal for a game is to see 70 points. That is pretty sad.

You’re just talking at this point, lol.

Telling Boeheim when he needs to pull Battle. Cmon.
Im not telling him to pull any player.
FYI JB has pulled all his greats over the years for quick resets. DC Pearl Billy O was pulled often for a minute or two. I dont see JB coaching these guys up in game like he used to.

I wonder. The only guys who should be taking Cornell lightly (Battle & Brissett) had strong games. The others (Chukwu, Sidibe & Dolezaj in particular) have no reason to take any opponent lightly. Can add Carey to that list -- he needs to play well to earn his role, and he knows it.

I think Hughes had his first off night, and Howard is working his way back from injury.

it has nothing to do with what they should do. it has everything to do with what just happens time and time again across sports.

Yes through substitution. JB has always been good at using the hook to teach. Actually he has often been criticized for being too stern, or rigid in its use. This year he is allowing players multiple often repeated mistakes without pulling them. I have no idea why as he has the bench to do so. I also dont see him spending much time with players who are subbed out. Very little player coach bench interactions.

Well, he again yanked Chukwu early and they ahd a shot of him lecturing the big guy while Paschal nodded his head.

FYI JB has pulled all his greats over the years for quick resets. DC Pearl Billy O was pulled often for a minute or two. I dont see JB coaching these guys up in game like he used to.

I don’t agree. I see him doing that stuff like he always did.

I question why we can’t/don’t ever get out in transition and think we are incredibly boring to watch.

But a lot of this other stuff just seems made up.

Battle and Brissett hardly needed to be pulled last night: they were carrying the team. Howard played 32 minutes, Hughes 24, Chukwu 20, Sidibe 12, Carey 7 and Boeheim 5. So they had plenty of "teaching moments".

Well, he again yanked Chukwu early and they ahd a shot of him lecturing the big guy while Paschal nodded his head.
Good point. I have no idea why this team isnt playing well. It certainly isn't wasn't because of a lack of talent last night.

I have no memory of Pearl, Derrick or Billy Owens getting pulled often and sat for a minute or two... you might be right but I highly doubt it.

My question to you is: When, exactly (and why) would you have pulled Tyus and Oshae last night? What mistakes did they make that would have necessitated weakening the team for two minutes so that Boeheim could ‘coach the guys up’?

If your complaint after last night’s game is that Tyus and Oshae didn’t sit enough... man, you and I see the game very differently.

I have no memory of Pearl, Derrick or Billy Owens getting pulled often and sat for a minute or two... you might be right but I highly doubt it.

My question to you is: When, exactly (and why) would you have pulled Tyus and Oshae last night? What mistakes did they make that would have necessitated weakening the team for two minutes so that Boeheim could ‘coach the guys up’?

If your complaint after last night’s game is that Tyus and Oshae didn’t sit enough... man, you and I see the game very differently.
I didnt tape the game but i would have pulled OB after he forced the 3 in the first half. Not sure on Battle. The point is that it is better to pull and clearly define expectations for a minute or so vs allowing players to continue to make mistakes for longer periods of time. This team is playing way below its ability and is continuing to make the same mistakes game aftet game. That is on the coaches.

I believe he pulled Chukwu early because of a defensive lapse. I think in general he is more apt to pull a player due to a defensive issue than when it's your star player taking an ill advised shot.

Finishing my point, with Boeheim he has always had a shower lease with some players than others. I suspect with a team that is still offensively challenged, he will go longer with his top 3-4 guys, especially Brissett and Battle...

I didnt tape the game but i would have pulled OB after he forced the 3 in the first half. Not sure on Battle. The point is that it is better to pull and clearly define expectations for a minute or so vs allowing players to continue to make mistakes for longer periods of time.

Oh ok, coach.

The arrogance of some of you...smh.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom