JB's Presser after Cornell | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

JB's Presser after Cornell

I didnt tape the game but i would have pulled OB after he forced the 3 in the first half. Not sure on Battle. The point is that it is better to pull and clearly define expectations for a minute or so vs allowing players to continue to make mistakes for longer periods of time. This team is playing way below its ability and is continuing to make the same mistakes game aftet game. That is on the coaches.
The only 3-pter that Oshae missed last night was a wide open look with 7 seconds left on the shot clock at the 13:47 mark of the 1st half (with SU up 9-7 at that point). Not sure what coaching tip you (or Boeheim) would have given at that point. I just re-watched it on the ESPN Watch app, I don’t think it was ‘forced’ at all.

Do you think JB coached a good game last night?

I don’t think the team played particularly well for over half the game, so ultimately they all have a hand in that.

Nitpicking when he should’ve pulled the guys who actually played good to “coach them up” just comes off way too busybodyish for me. He knows how to handle his guys.

I don’t think the team played particularly well for over half the game, so ultimately they all have a hand in that.

Nitpicking when he should’ve pulled the guys who actually played good to “coach them up” just comes off way too busybodyish for me. He knows how to handle his guys.

He tried. I don’t get it. Chukwu was bad again so he got yanked for Bourama. Sidibe was bad. Carey got his turn and he was terrible. Buddy basically isn’t in the rotation and Marek does what he does good or bad. They were all bad except for Battle/Oshae. Not sure what JB could’ve done.

He tried. I don’t get it. Chukwu was bad again so he got yanked for Bourama. Sidibe was bad. Carey got his turn and he was terrible. Buddy basically isn’t in the rotation and Marek does what he does good or bad. They were all bad except for Battle/Oshae. Not sure what JB could’ve done.
We dont agree. No problem hopefully they play better next game.

Yes through substitution. JB has always been good at using the hook to teach. Actually he has often been criticized for being too stern, or rigid in its use. This year he is allowing players multiple often repeated mistakes without pulling them. I have no idea why as he has the bench to do so. I also dont see him spending much time with players who are subbed out. Very little player coach bench interactions.

Except you’d be wrong. I sit behind the bench some rows up and literally every player he takes out of the game for making a mistake he speaks to. I’m not sure how you can make these conclusions on tv. He spoke to Chukwu, Marek, Bourama, and Hughes multiple times last night. Him and Frank even got into it a bit during the game when Carey threw the ball out of bounds. Carey was lucky JB didn’t see it or he would have been pulled for sure.

Go ahead and criticize the pace of play, but some of your are just making split up cause your angry.

Because guys have off shooting nights?

Frank 1-7, Elijah 1-3.

It's more than just that. It's watching what goes on before hoisting those shots with just a few seconds left on the shot clock, and that's nothing. NO flow, NO purpose on O...still...with Frank. Yes, poor shooting nights happen, but they are likely going to happen a heck of a lot more when shots come just to get it off to beat the clock, vs. in the flow. I don't know, but man, if you are not a Syracuse fan, you're not sticking around to watch this garbage, these games can be simply brutal to watch. The most entertaining thing all night was listening to Julie when they had her on.

It's more than just that. It's watching what goes on before hoisting those shots with just a few seconds left on the shot clock, and that's nothing. NO flow, NO purpose on O...still...with Frank. Yes, poor shooting nights happen, but they are likely going to happen a heck of a lot more when shots come just to get it off to beat the clock, vs. in the flow. I don't know, but man, if you are not a Syracuse fan, you're not sticking around to watch this garbage, these games can be simply brutal to watch. The most entertaining thing all night was listening to Julie when they had her on.

If you don’t have a low post scorer or a PG who can put stress on a defense, half court offense is tough. We’ve got some talented 6’5-6’8 guys who can shoot and get to the basket and make shots.

The lack of transition points is my main concern. We get no easy ones.

If you don’t have a low post scorer or a PG who can put stress on a defense, half court offense is tough. We’ve got some talented 6’5-6’8 guys who can shoot and get to the basket and make shots.

The lack of transition points is my main concern. We get no easy ones.

No doubt and it's why our O continues onward as is. We recruit first and foremost for the zone. Our centers have very limited offensive skills, and we attempt to convert 2 guards to point/floor generals. Not a good combination for running a solid O. Until this changes, the status quo will remain the same.

No doubt and it's why our O continues onward as is. We recruit first and foremost for the zone. Our centers have very limited offensive skills, and we attempt to convert 2 guards to point/floor generals. Not a good combination for running a solid O. Until this changes, the status quo will remain the same.

Agreed. Don’t see why we can’t pick up the pace this year though. There’s gotta be a reason, that we don’t see.

Maybe the bigs are awful outlet passers? Frank not comfortable playing with defenders behind him and on his sides? Gotta be something.

oh take a bat to PC,FH,and elijah in front of the media. but when you say things like "team not sharp , letdown from wednesday ,didn't attack well , horrendously poor effort, out of synch ..." and you can't figure out how to stop their ONLY offensive threat...that's on you JB. that's called coaching.

We do? I thought they narrowed it down a little.

Of course we recruit players that would be a fit for the zone (long and tall and athletic) but it’s not like we are recruiting defensive players that don’t play play offense. We recruit a lot of the same players Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, Michigan State and Arizona are recruiting. Don’t most teams recruit long, tall and athletic players? I don’t consider Joe Girard a long, tall athletic player either. We recruit the best players we can reasonably land in our footprint.

Last edited:
Few points...

1. For some reason, Frank and Elijah just didn't do any of the things they are good at, things they know they can do. Why was Frank just jacking up threes, instead of getting to the basket? That's not a coaching problem.

2. Centers seemed to take a giant step backward. Chukwu has played, and can play, better, but for some reason he didn't. That's not a coaching problem either.

3. Marek didn't take the same shots he's been taking, didn't drive, didn't dish. That's not a coaching problem.

4. Last I checked, the coach isn't allowed to line up on the floor and play the game.

Glad they came away with the W, but I hope they are forced to watch the film of this game over and over until they puke - Clockwork Orange style - before they step out on the floor against Northeastern and G-town.

Just a point on #1. Numerous times this year JB has said Frank I’d our best 3pt shooter

Of course we recruit players that would be a fit for the zone (long and tall and athletic) but it’s not like we are recruiting defensive players that don’t play play offense. We recruit a lot of the same players Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, Michigan State and Arizona are recruiting. Don’t most teams recruit long, tall and athletic players? I don’t consider Joe Girard a long, tall athletic player either. We recruit the best players we can reasonably land in our footprint.
How come Dino pulls kids from all over the country, has a huge Florida pipeline at IMG and JB doesn't recruit nationally?

How come Dino pulls kids from all over the country, has a huge Florida pipeline at IMG and JB doesn't recruit nationally?
So, for non-walk on's, we have players from NY, CT, FL, NJ, MD, Mali, Slovakia, Canada, and incoming, MA, PA, and Canada.

I'd say, JB recruits both nationally AND internationally.

Last edited:
So, for non-walk on's, we have players from NY, CT, FL, NJ, MD, Mali, Slovakia, and incoming, MA, PA, and Canada.

I'd say, JB recruits both nationally AND internationally.

Oshae is from canada as well.

need to lock down canada. lotta talent up there.
also good to shop small business local at MA. and PA. stores.

Last edited:
cuz football recruiting = basketball recruiting duh

we could even get more specific and say oshae from toronto and quincy from montreal since those are basically two different countries. im guessing quincy's first language is french.
So, you're saying our recruiting is Provincial? ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom