JB's Presser after EMU | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

JB's Presser after EMU

Talk about assuming the worst...

I always assume the worst with SU. We lost a player, a starter, on the first day of school and started the season with nine players. Now, assuming Sidibe is done, we have seven. One more injury and we have six.

Rest doesn’t seem to be helping Sidibe. He’s got bad knees. Maybe a year of rehab helps. But it’s a missed year of experience and playing time, which he desperately needs. Can’t risk the chance that he can’t play next year. SU needs to fill that void.

We are screwed. We needed Sidibe and Geno for depth. Losing both of them (if BS doesn’t return) could mean our chances for an ncaa tourney bid went out the window. I really think a healthy Sidibe makes us a tourney team, giving us the depth we need at center. It’s always something every year. And this year, we lost 3 different guys including Thompson. We just can’t have nice things.

Last edited:
the minutes alone are our worst enemy. it'll only get worse as the season drags on.
we may be built for a few nice upsets. no way for a deep tourney run.

We are screwed. We needed Sidibe and Geno for depth. Losing both of them (if BS doesn’t return) could mean our chances for an ncaa tourney bid went out the window. I really think a healthy Sidibe makes us a tourney team. It’s always something every year. We just can’t have nice things.

As I was watching the game tonight I was thinking how nice it would have been to have Geno (assuming he could have found his stroke) shooting threes against that zone. I want to see one of our guys be able to step back (like Lydon did last year) and hit a three from NBA range like we often see against us.

tyler shouldn't be a viper. i don't care if it sounds selfish. vipers aren't on espn. syracuse is.

the minutes alone are our worst enemy. it'll only get worse as the season drags on.

Can’t expect much from a team with seven players and no backup center. If they make the tourney and win a game, it’s a successful year. Is what it is.

Is it me or have we had WAY more serious injuries the last 10 years or so than we used to ever have? I don’t remember injury problems like this in the 80’s-90’s-early 00’s. Seems like ever since Devendorf’s and Rautins’ knee injuries in the same season, we’ve had quite a few of them.

tyler shouldn't be a viper. i don't care if it sounds selfish. vipers aren't on espn. syracuse is.
Do you have a Lydon voodoo doll?

This was never a team that was built for a long tourney run. Our offense is terrible. We shoot very poorly and don't have an inside game. the guys try real hard and that will get us some wins. but the second weekend of the tournament was never really in play.

This was never a team that was built for a long tourney run. Our offense is terrible. We shoot very poorly and don't have an inside game. the guys try real hard and that will get us some wins. but the second weekend of the tournament was never really in play.

I will be overjoyed if we make the tournament. Coming into the year I was hoping we could keep the winning seasons streak going. Love the effort this team plays with and I love that everyone knew their roles so much more quickly this year.

Next year we should be good enough to make a run!

Sure it is. It's a dumb, single elim tournament. Stupid stuff happens.

Is it me or have we had WAY more serious injuries the last 10 years or so than we used to ever have? I don’t remember injury problems like this in the 80’s-90’s-early 00’s. Seems like ever since Devendorf’s and Rautins’ knee injuries in the same season, we’ve had quite a few of them.

Some of the training and strength staff has been around for so long that I wonder if complacency has set in? Of course, it could just be bad luck.

We are screwed. We needed Sidibe and Geno for depth. Losing both of them (if BS doesn’t return) could mean our chances for an ncaa tourney bid went out the window. I really think a healthy Sidibe makes us a tourney team, giving us the depth we need at center. It’s always something every year. And this year, we lost 3 different guys including Thompson. We just can’t have nice things.

Having Frank Howard and Pascal Chukwu turn into major contributors was a nice thing. So was recruiting Marek Dolazaj. We just focus on the bad things and think that that's all there is.

I agree this doesn't have the look of a team that can make a good tourney run. But the depth is not the problem. The NCAA's are not about depth. Everybody plays their top guys as much as they can. But is is about scoring and we aren't good at that. We have the defense to stay in games but you still have to out-score the other team. Against a strong defensive team we're the ones likely to wind up on the wrong end of a 47-62 score. That's why we need to press more and run more. We don't have the inside or outside scoring to win big games in the half court.

Having Frank Howard and Pascal Chukwu turn into major contributors was a nice thing. So was recruiting Marek Dolazaj. We just focus on the bad things and think that that's all there is.

I agree this doesn't have the look of a team that can make a good tourney run. But the depth is not the problem. The NCAA's are not about depth. Everybody plays their top guys as much as they can. But is is about scoring and we aren't good at that. We have the defense to stay in games but you still have to out-score the other team. Against a strong defensive team we're the ones likely to wind up on the wrong end of a 47-62 score. That's why we need to press more and run more. We don't have the inside or outside scoring to win big games in the half court.

Yeah, I was thinking how so far this team reminds me a bit of the 2000-01 overachieving squad. But then I remember even that team, whose margin for error was pretty thin, had 4 scorers that averaged double figures(two of whom were seniors)...Brown, Shumpert, Griffin, and Williams. We really only have 3 and I don’t see a potential 4th other than the occasional game here and there.

Well, we’re about to be down three players from where we were in late August. I think my Debbie Downer approach is pretty accurate. But go ahead, put a positive spin on it. I’m fine with this team. I’m just not setting my expectations too high.

It's hard to press more and run more as a strategy when you're essentially down to six players.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom