JB's Presser after Kansas | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

JB's Presser after Kansas

They didn’t slow it down, they kept chucking all night
I even asked in the chat room, why were they still shooting from three with plenty of time on the clock, when all they had to do to shorten the game was to pass it around the perimeter for a while.

They most definitely did not 'slow it down a bit'. Wondering what game was being watched...

I even asked in the chat room, why were they still shooting from three with plenty of time on the clock, when all they had to do to shorten the game was to pass it around the perimeter for a while.

They most definitely did not 'slow it down a bit'. Wondering what game was being watched...

Lol, he’s just throwing crap at the wall and hoping something sticks in his desperation to blame Boeheim for something.

Really would like to add an assistant who specifically in offense. JB is pretty good at teaching defense but our offense has been bad for a while.
Our starting point guard refuses to turn the corner on drives... our back up point did nothing... our sg was playing in pain... our centers missed dunks and chippies... we had ridiculous turnover after ridiculous turnover... our power forwards looked like they had never played offense in hoops ever before...we missed a ton of open shots... and you want to blame our coach for the offense?

This board never ceases to amaze me.

Our starting point guard refuses to turn the corner on drives... our back up point did nothing... our sg was playing in pain... our centers missed dunks and chippies... we had ridiculous turnover after ridiculous turnover... our power forwards looked like they had never played offense in hoops ever before...we missed a ton of open shots... and you want to blame our coach for the offense?

Come on. These scrappy mid major geniuses would have Matt Moyer running off screens like Reggie Miller! To do what, I’m not sure. But the MOTION and MOVEMENT would be there! The coach at D-2 Central Sheboygan State would make the ultimate STRETCH FOUR out of Marek. Sure he can’t shoot, but you’ve got to STRETCH the defense and SPACE the court! A better coach would have Howard and Chukwu running pick and roll as well as 1994 Stockton and Malone!

MOTION, BALL MOVEMENT, and SPACING!!! Any player with any skill set can do all these things with the right coaching! Sure, nobody will bother to guard most of our guys outside of 5 feet anyways, but the offensive gurus on here will be satisfied and that’s all that matters.

Last edited:
Really would like to add an assistant who specifically in offense. JB is pretty good at teaching defense but our offense has been bad for a while.

We just don’t make teams really work on D, imo. I mean there is no way Kansas got tired or struggled defending us. We constantly let defenses (good ones/teams) off the hook with not moving a defense, charges, not seeing or understanding when help is coming on drives and too many launches off of one pass against a set defense. Really frustrating. I mean we could hold UConn under 60 again and still lose.

Yeah almost all those things you mentioned can be fixed with coaching. And it's not just based on today.

Haha that's why I said almost everything. But then JB is the one who recruited these players so...

He recruited next years players too!

I like most of these players, but they are not ready made studs.

Chukwu has actually improved a lot since last year. I think Marek, Brissett, and Sidibe will all develop into big time players.

I don’t believe in moral wins for the basketball team, but we played a really good game. Everyone I was with thought we played a really good game, and Kansas is just better.
feel ya, but we did not play a good 1st half (well, more precisely last 10 min of 1st half I suppose) - way too many turnovers/empty possessions

Haha that's why I said almost everything. But then JB is the one who recruited these players so...
I give you that... he also recruited all those other dudes who went pro the last how many years basically destroying our program depth. But I do agree... our recruiting strategy the last few years has been too focused on a plan a with no plan b.

As fast as KU moved the ball around, our zone was really moving well at times. We just got burned too much on the lobs.
I was ok with the lobs. Those aren’t going to work for most teams left on the schedule. What I’m not ok with is not having a spy on graham. If the ball goes into the post - don’t take your eyes off graham. That’s a coaching issue. Make someone else beat us from the high post.

feel ya, but we did not play a good 1st half (well, more precisely last 10 min of 1st half I suppose) - way too many turnovers/empty possessions

Yeah, I liked their fight and rebounding effort but saying they played a good game is a stretch. Too many unforced turnovers and 17 or 18 total. Can’t have that with a slow and plodding offense and against a team like Kansas. Too many breakdowns on the lobs and on Graham. Always felt we were playing significantly uphill the whole game, IMO.

You can fault JB for offense and not be a "hater".

Either he doesn't teach it well or we don't have the players to run an efficient/consistent offense.

Well, if you believe we don't have the players - JB recruited them, and recruits to the zone, thus effecting the offense.

How Moyer got a scholly is beyond me. Not just because he's strugglesville out there but because he's a PF who can't shoot. You need your 4 to be able to step out and shoot the three at a respectable clip. Not sure what you expect when you have both the 4 and 5 hanging around the paint with zero ability to do anything on the perimeter aside from pick n roll or pass it back to the guard after they get into the "zero threat" position pretending like they might dribble or shoot.

If you're going that route for defense, your 4/5's better be monsters and while I like our Centers, our Power Forwards certainly are not (holding out hope MD can develop).

Either he doesn't teach it well or we don't have the players to run an efficient/consistent offense.

Well, if you believe we don't have the players - JB recruited them, and recruits to the zone, thus effecting the offense.

How Moyer got a scholly is beyond me. Not just because he's strugglesville out there but because he's a PF who can't shoot. You need your 4 or 5 (preferably both) to be able to step out and shoot the three at a respectable clip. Not sure what you expect when you have both the 4 and 5 hanging around the paint with zero ability to do anything on the perimeter aside from pick n roll or pass it back to the guard after the get into the "zero threat" position pretending like they might dribble or shoot.

If you're going that route for defense, your 4/5's better be monsters and while I like our Centers, our Power Forwards certainly are not (holding out hope MD can develop).
Body of work. This is the last year where sanctions will be a major factor. We have 8 players and 5 are freshman. That alone isn't a formula for victory. We aren't Kentucky or duke who can withstand that. This season won't be a disaster. In fact, I think it will be enjoyable. At least for me. Not up to our standards. But I look forward to improvement going forward. As for Moyer, who was player of the year in Ohio (how was that possible?) I think he is going to have a hard time here if he doesn't improve a lot.

How Moyer got a scholly is beyond me. Not just because he's strugglesville out there but because he's a PF who can't shoot. You need your 4 or 5 (preferably both) to be able to step out and shoot the three at a respectable clip. Not sure what you expect when you have both the 4 and 5 hanging around the paint with zero ability to do anything on the perimeter aside from pick n roll or pass it back to the guard after the get into the "zero threat" position pretending like they might dribble or shoot.

It might just be like this until we get Bazely/Carey in here. Faster, quicker, more explosive players. Our sets just aren’t going to work well against good teams, IMO. Too much hesitation and uncertainty out there on offense in general. I can’t tell if that is coaching and/or players not understanding what to do or just being out manned mano e mano. We’ll know more against UConn and Georgetown who are more familiar with the Syracuse zone than Kansas.

I liked Marek’s playmaking. Made a really nice drive maybe late 1H or early 2H when he drove hard from the wing close to the baseline and passed out to somebody (Tyus?) who missed a 3. Moyer...oy. We were hoping for a guy who could be like 0.5 of Roberson but he isn’t anywhere close. He is lost.

The offense will come together as time goes on. May be slow but it will develop. MD will get better, Sidibe will get better, Chukwu will get better and Matt will get better. As they get experience, they will these shots that are rimming out or not getting completely to the Rim. Hell, Chukwu may 5 out of 10 FTs tonight. Previously, he made 1 out 18. He is improving.

Just give them some more time.

Last edited:
The offense got enough good looks tonight.

The real issue is how poorly they shot from anywhere on the court. 32% is horrendous.

Shooting percentage will be an issue all year, which in turn is going to limit offensive efficiency. But, there are two things that do stand out. The first is offensive rebounding. The 2nd, less talked about, is we have 3 players in Howard, Battle and Brissett that can break their men down off the dribble and finish.

I thought our offense looked good against Maryland and others. We don’t have great shooters this season but Kansas game was particularly bad from 3. Last season, Offensive efficiency ranked between 30-40, so not terrible because we had good shooters. But yes, we don’t get enough movement on offense. Against Kansas, too many guys paralyzed for stretches and just standing around. They’ll get better hopefully.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom